New guy needs help.

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

lampstore
New guy needs help.

Post by lampstore » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:29 pm

I saw a video on this two weeks ago and thought how cool it would be to do this so I set out to accomplish this. I bought a 24x48 styrene .08 sheet, got a ps1 lcd screen off ebay, got the power regulator from Texas Instruments. I just need a few questions answered as I have never done anything like this at all, im going to post a few pictures.

This is all the stuff I have, I don't currently have a battery but I have my eye on one that was posted in another forum.

here it is I think put together I'm not quite sure.

The thing that worries me is I saw a forum post about nintendo 64's that do not work so I went to look at my serial number and im afraid it might not work, it wasnt listed but ill list the serial number for you here.

1.the serial on the back says NS301037385 and on the board it says at the top, NUS - CPU - 09 will that work?
2.what parts of the nintendo 64 can I chuck? There are 2 metal pieces that go on each side and the heat sink do I need them all?

I hope you can humor me and answer my questions! :lol:

snowpenguin

Re: New guy needs help.

Post by snowpenguin » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:40 pm

That board's fine.

The metal shielding can be discarded.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:29 pm

In my Darth64 the Psone screen and the N64 motherboard had to sit back to back which caused interference lines. I used the thin metal shielding to put in between them to stop this :)
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

Curly

Post by Curly » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:43 pm

u might wont to relocate the cartridge slot aswell

argelfraster

Post by argelfraster » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:47 pm

hailrazer wrote:In my Darth64 the Psone screen and the N64 motherboard had to sit back to back which caused interference lines. I used the thin metal shielding to put in between them to stop this :)
You used metal shielding to stop interference?
Wouldn't the metal help the interference more?

lampstore

Post by lampstore » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:53 pm

thank you all for the responses, I'm having trouble desolderling the power plugin on the back, is there a better technique or a written method somewhere on this website?

OhSnap!

Post by OhSnap! » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:29 am

dremel across the top and rip away the plastic. then use pliers to cut the pins shorter. simplest method

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:23 am

I cut off the ports with a hacksaw.

Also, get rid of the metal shielding and get some proper heatsinks. And the thing about the N64 being incompatible is just for the RGB mod. If you stick with composite video it will be fine.

lampstore

Post by lampstore » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:10 pm

Well I wish I knew that yesterday burned my self pretty good with a soldering iron trying to get it off, since I don't have a battery can I solder up that power port that came with the ps1 screen and plug in a 7.5 volt ac adapter into it to test the nintendo 64 + screen combo? then if it works when I get the battery just swap that little device out and put the battery in?