One handed controller for disabled son

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

bothebu
Re: One handed controller for disabled son

Post by bothebu » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:06 pm

Wow...thanks for all the great ideas and that you are all really into it. I know a five year old that is going to be very happy (I hope). I am in the process of getting Mario a picture of his hand on the controller. I am out of town for a bit and my wife is rather technologically challenged....i nicknamed her "techno-babe" when we were dating! Thanks for all of the ideas and kind thoughts.

Bob

Mario

Post by Mario » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:56 pm

I have officially decided that I will be including foot controls for the Z and R buttons. I found a 4-pound base from an old IKEA lamp, so that will be the base. I'm using 2 NES controller backings for buttons, with 2 computer reset buttons as the actual switches.

I'll post pictures when I get some real stuff done. :)

bothebu

Post by bothebu » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:02 am

Here is the picture of him holding the controller with left hand....Thanks!
Attachments
1004090936.jpg
1004090936.jpg (120.43KiB)Viewed 5020 times

hackmodford
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hackmodford » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:46 am

I really hope this works out. I like the numchuck idea the best. I say get rid/forget the d-pad. Not enough games use it.

You could also make the base of the joystick strap to his left leg for stability. And he can use his right hand right? you could maybe use another joystick straped on the right leg to act as a dpad or cstick. I don't know just some ideas...

Just hope it works :D

bothebu

Post by bothebu » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:57 pm

He has no use of his right hand. Cannot move his fingers, for this picture he basically wedged the controller into his right hand using his left hand.

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:12 pm

Anybody remember Ben's supposedly great access controller? Maybe an n64 version, miniaturized for small hands?

64M320N3

Post by 64M320N3 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:30 pm

Too many buttons for only four fingers... and a thumb. I think the suggestions contributed here are much more valid in this scenario.
Making stuff with my new beautiful CNC machine!
Would you like a professional looking custom case for your portable? I may be able to help you. Check out this link:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32724

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:52 pm

hackmodford wrote:I really hope this works out. I like the numchuck idea the best. I say get rid/forget the d-pad. Not enough games use it.

You could also make the base of the joystick strap to his left leg for stability. And he can use his right hand right? you could maybe use another joystick straped on the right leg to act as a dpad or cstick. I don't know just some ideas...

Just hope it works :D
I think he meant right leg.

hackmodford
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hackmodford » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:18 pm

I realize that he has no use of his right hand. but for something like a joystick he coulod set his "palm" onto the joystick strapped to his right leg and have a cstick going for him. I'm not saying use fingers just use hand or what's left. Surely he can move his arm :D

We're gonna get this kid set up good :wink:

Mario

Post by Mario » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:11 pm

Bothebu PM'd me and told me how you need precise movements for some games (Like SM64) and that his son might not be able to control the joystick that well if I use my idea of the joystick on the bottom the controller. He suggested I use a PC joystick.

I think that is the best option, and I don't know why I didn't think of that possible problem before. :roll: So I'm going to see if I can adapt my PC joystick to be left-handed, since most ones online are pretty expensive. Stay tuned.

joeyjoe9876

Post by joeyjoe9876 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:19 pm

good luck, i think its very nice that you are doing this and i respect you for it xD
but yeah can't wait to see some progress
My For Sale/Trade thread
N64p Coming Soon :D

Mario

Post by Mario » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:05 pm

Big fat update! Wheee!

So I'm officially going with the "convert-the-PC-joystick-that-I-already-own" method. Since I forgot to take a picture before I ripped it apart, here is what it looks like:
ImageImage

As you can see, there is a button right where a left-handed person would need to grab. So, I cut that out and used pieces of fairly flexible plastic and hot glue to reconstruct the missing spot.
Wait, wait, I know what you're thinking. "Oh, no, Mario! Don't use hot glue! It'll be a CATASTROPHE!"

Well, chill out. I'm using a high temp glue gun and TONS of hot glue. I tried, none of the pieces are going anywhere.

Anyway, Here is my progress.
Using a button for some of it:

Glued in first piece:

And second piece:

And sanded once:

I'm going to the hardware store tomorrow for some bondo, and later, some paint. Bothebu, what's your son's favorite color? :)

collinE

Post by collinE » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:18 pm

Bothebu, if you're thinking "oh crap. what'd I get myself into?" don't worry. our projects always look like that at first :lol:
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous

blaze3927
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:notjames

Post by blaze3927 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:25 am

just in regards on the dpad, are you gonna make a switch so that the joystick can be doubled as the dpad?
Australian Kaillera server
[url]hhttp://i56.tinypic.com/ncb0wi.gif[/url]

bothebu

Post by bothebu » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:28 am

Favorite color is BLUE.