The 64snap! worklog *case complete*

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

OhSnap!
The 64snap! worklog *case complete*

Post by OhSnap! » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:14 am

Well I decided my original worklog thread was getting bloated and I think that i was on my 4th unanswered post in a row, I guess everybody was sick of it being there :mrgreen: , so this is the clean slate thread. Now with a new name: The 64Snap!
I have pinned down the dwindling of my old thread to the fact nobody wants to read a 100 post worklog that only really gets going on the 6th page,
so I will recap all the exciting bits:

After my custom arcade machine project earlier this year I decided I wanted to make a n64 portable for the "personal project" assignment the school makes everyone do. Looking back on it I had slightly unrealistic expectations of myself, but all noobs do. :mrgreen: .

So right off the bat I was then given a n64 with exp. pack, 10 games and 4 controllers by a good friend.

Soon after, I went to england to see my grandpa and decided that since screens are sparse in Australia I would buy one whilst over there.
I was reading through bacteria's website and noticed he had a screen for sale, I ended up buying it for $50 AUD:

I soon discovered by re-reading bacteria emails that it only took rgb. Initially i thought that it wouldn't be too much of an issue, but it turned out to be a major pain in the ass.

Basically PAL n64s cannot output rgb. I thought I was screwed but i came up with these three solutions:

1: Trade my PAL n64 For a NTSC n64 then put a PAL PIF chip in it so it can play my games.
2: Put a vcd-nus DAC chip in my unit allowing it to output rgb (supposedly trickier soldering)
3:trade my screen with somebody.

I went with option 1.

(it's prettier and neater in person)

I should have went with option 2 as it wouldn't have required me to ship a my n64 for $15 (screwing over the uber budget intent of my project), it would have only cost me $3, but at the time a had a craptacular soldering iron and doing the DAC transplant would have been nearly impossible and was daunting as I believed it would be loads harder than the pif transplant.
In the end i found out that the pif and dac pin spacing was the same so i could have done option 2 instead and I got a new soldering iron anyway. so i learned a lot, wasted stacks of time (good thing mine isn't particularly valuable) and got a new soldering iron (courtesy of my parents). So not too bad.

I then put new heat sinks on the n64:

relocated the cart slot a couple of times (i will have to do it again)

Then the issues with my screen started. So first off i couldnt get my batteries to run the screen (6000mah camcorder batteries). Then i did get the screen to turn on but when i plugged the screen into the n64 i got this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zRUYAJ989s

I assumed the original n64 cable didn't have pins for rgb anymore so then I hooked it up to my little screen.
I got scanlines, interference, green and blue lines spazzing across the screen and a high pitched squeal from the main board. It sucked hard... but I noticed the main screen pcb had little screws you could turn to affect the image (something i wanted to do desperately after no progress with the screen at all after a week and a half). I soon realised that the image was actually the blue and green lines, it was just smooshed down and whizzing across the screen insanely fast. I had got the image to slow down and become taller but it was impossible to keep still, it would almost stop, but then just fly in the other direction.
I realised my screen required sync. I just hooked the composite signal to it and the image stabilised. It worked because composite has sync built-in.
I was really happy but I noticed there was only green and blue in the image, my red was missing. This was because i was earlier lifting the rgb pins on the DAC off the n64 board so as to get a brighter image and i had bent it one too many time and it was hanging on by a thread, so i hot glued all over it to keep it in place. somehow it broke off.

the next day when i came and turned my screen on nauseating black smoke came off of it. I still have no idea why but it works now so i am happy.
then i though i fried it again but it just turned out i had put the ribbon cable that goes between the screen and its boards in the wrong way.

just today a new DAC arrived from snowpenguin and i managed to put it in in 3 mins (much better than the previous 2 hours for the PIF) now i have my screen in order.

i am planning to put the n64 in a psone shell. this means i will really have to come through on keeping stuff small such as the speaker amp board that i am putting in from an old set of psp speakers and redoing the cart relocation with thinner wire and only doing the necessary pins. plus loads more.

so i will be updating this new thread with the casework and stuffing in of electronics. if you want more detail about any of the stuff i wrote here check out the old thread: http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30851
Last edited by OhSnap! on Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:06 am, edited 5 times in total.

OhSnap!

Re: The 64snap! worklog

Post by OhSnap! » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:49 am

ok, so I have a question for you all: where can i find somebody who can professionally spray paint the case I am making? I was looking the the benheck showcase and noticed triton's gpx2 recasing project had the guy who spray paints NESs paint it for him. It looks fantastic and I want to replice that. I know it must cost a bit but it would be worth it.
I am considered sending it to a car painting place but I dont know whether thay would be too keen to do a small job, plus that could set me back $100+.
so any ideas?
Last edited by OhSnap! on Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:02 am

I recommend you contact "Custom NES Dude" - he does some seriously professional work and has offered in the past to paint portable cases. Here's a link to his profile.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

Squidlekins

Post by Squidlekins » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:28 pm

How necessary are heatsinks for the N64? I mean honestly... I've never measured it's heat output, but does it really have the processing power to need a cooling solution other than just room temp?
Not trying to knock what anybody is doing or anything... I've just been wondering this for a while now...
The best Screen name is one that has no Google matches

Mario

Post by Mario » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:34 pm

It needs heatsinks, definitely, but it's been rather controversial over whether or not you need a fan in most setups. I don;t know how much heat it actually puts out. You could probably find the info online, or maybe through some datasheets.

OhSnap!

Post by OhSnap! » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:48 pm

mario is right, heatsinks are a must, but fans are pointless unless you have an incredibly tightly packed system. then again, if you have room for a fan you have room to just have airvents. the psp doesn't have a fan but I am damn sure it has some heatsinks and air holes.
I have left my n64 on for 24hours to test how well the heatsinks would stay on and i can tell you it generates a decent amount of heat as it has a 200mhz processor. Better to be safe then sorry, plus my heatsinks are only like <5mm tall so there is really no reason not to. Just pull some off ancient graphics cards, or buy some of these: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15361" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by OhSnap! on Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

blaze3927
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:notjames

Post by blaze3927 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:46 pm

hmmm i wonder if anyone has actually tested the need for heatsinks.... with long and short term effects....
ill plug in a spare pal n64 board in tonight with heat sinks removed and running conkers bad fur day with expansion pack and see if anything significantly bad happens, and repeat the process for a week and see if anything goes boom
Australian Kaillera server
[url]hhttp://i56.tinypic.com/ncb0wi.gif[/url]

OhSnap!

Post by OhSnap! » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:17 am

Do that, as long as you don't care about the consequences
Last edited by OhSnap! on Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:59 am

My n64 overheated and froze with a jumper pak and the heatblocks playing goldeneye.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:47 am

+1 , heatsinks are a necessity. Fans I never needed.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

OhSnap!

Post by OhSnap! » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:26 am

Okay...
I have been thinking about fitting things in the psone case just found that a stack of two dvd cases on top of each other are almost exactly the size of the psone (only 3mm smaller across and almost exactly hight and depth wise) and after arranging all my stuff on it I have found that it wont be possible to use unless I widen the case.
as you can seen the buttons are all squashed up, so I may just use the zn-40.
Also on a side note I was using the screen and found that the speakers that came with is are utter crud, the size of a 5c coin or an american dime.
so I pulled apart an old set of psp speakers i have and they have some really good quality ones that are slightly larger plus an amp.
I have already flattened it out but I don't know whether I should use it as it consumes 4 AAs.
I was thinking about adding a switch to turn it on only when i want to have it up loud
Last edited by OhSnap! on Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mario

Post by Mario » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:07 pm

By 4AA do you mean 6v? That should be fine for 7.5v batteries.

Also, don't use a polycase. They are extremely overused. Make something creative! :)

andrewdorsey

Post by andrewdorsey » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:53 pm

What screen are you using?

OhSnap!

Post by OhSnap! » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:26 am

Hmm... well since i live in australia anyways it might be a good idea to look at the case suppliers over here. I truly want to be original for you guys, but i also don't want to go too experimental as I really just want an n64 portable, the temptation to go the tryed and true method is mighty stong. I will look into it.
I really just want a case that is made from good stuff.
regarding the amp i have deided to have it run off the batteries. I will have it off, speakers running from screen board, for usual use to conserve power and have a switch to turn it on when I actually need it.
The screen is a 5.6" logic 3 psone screen

edit: I have decided to go with the zn-40 case as after scowering the internet for all this afternoon I haven't been able to find another decent case of an acceptable size. I am sorry for not being original but I don't think anybody i show it to will notice, plus i will spice it up for you guys.
Last edited by OhSnap! on Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

OhSnap!

Post by OhSnap! » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:34 am

ok, its aggrivating news time.

I ordered the zn-40 case and when i selected shipping all the options said $0.00 next to them so I assumed that they did free shipping for single items so I picked the fastest shipping method, boy was I wrong. Turns out they add it after they calculate it for your location and I got an email telling my my bill was $56. It sucks hard but I can't do anything about it now. I was following the tracking and it is already in australia it is just waiting till monday to move to me. so yeah... but I can afford it.

Anyway I have bought all the stuff i need for the casework today.
so far I have putty (I couldn't get bondo in australia so i have bought some selleys knead-it instead as it does the same thing) and some satin black spray paint (I couldn't get krylon so i got some plasti-kote instead) I just hope they are of as good quality and the stuff everyone else uses.

I also bought several grades of wet and dry sandpaper: 80, 180, 240, 400 and 600. I have some sandpaper already if I run out of that stuff.
so I can start with the case on Monday.
Last edited by OhSnap! on Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:15 am, edited 2 times in total.