The 64snap! worklog *case complete*

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

smitty
Re: The 64snap! worklog

Post by smitty » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:52 pm

Yeah, that looks good. Maybe put the power button on the left. Just a thought.
Mario wrote:Yes, I've gone to my local Wal-Mart and was amazed at their selection of resistors, inductors, and FPGA chips. :roll:

64M320N3

Post by 64M320N3 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:27 pm

Super cool. Your casework is surprisingly very impressive. :D
Making stuff with my new beautiful CNC machine!
Would you like a professional looking custom case for your portable? I may be able to help you. Check out this link:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32724

OhSnap!

Post by OhSnap! » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:30 pm

so I've put in the start button finally, but decided to put the power switch up on top and use a nice clunky switch that I pulled from a computer power supply. I have also put in some air vents at the top that I cut off the bottom of the n64. I am still doing the triggers (which are going to be 2 Z triggers from the controller) so I won't show you them yet.

Regarding the headphone jacks; I had originally wanted to use the ones that came from the screen, but I stuffed them up so instead I am using two that I pulled of an ancient pci sound card. I chose the line in and mic jacks. They are of a sturdier build quality anyway.
I was thinking of painting them back, but I kind of like the red vs blue thing.
The reason I am putting in two headphone jacks is when ever anybody at school wants to show me the song or video they are watching they pass you an earbud so you can listen too, which can get a bit uncomfortable as you are then teathered together :lol: so this will solve that problem.

I have still have to do the charge jack on the bottom, power on led (i am trying to find a nice difffused solution so it isn't too in your face), switch to turn on the audio amp, led for amp (so you know it is on), cartidge holder and controller port module

So this is the controller port module idea:

I really couldn't integrate the 4 controller ports in, though I could have easily just done one which wouldn't be as cool. I also didn't want to put them on the outside as they are so god damn huge.
So as you can see in my rubbish paint diagram (done with a trackpad) I plan to make a separate contoller port module that you can stick on the back below the cartridge holder. It is connected by a vga port and held on with the screws that you get on the sides of vga connectors.
All this allows me to show people the unit at its slimmest and only make it fat when i want to do multi player.
though by doing this my original idea of putting 4 0f the 6 battery cells around the cartidge is kinda spoilt, so i am only do two at the sides. i will have to try and fit the other 4 elsewhere.
Last edited by OhSnap! on Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kainevg

Post by Kainevg » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:01 am

Hey,

Im liking what you have done so far, it looks pretty good so far :)

Anyways, I have a question, im making my N64 (its going quite well actually, I just really need to do a case for it) anyways, I was wondering how you attach the R button and the Z button (Z going in place of L) so its like the triggers on the N64 controllers..

well anyway, good luck with your N64

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:07 pm

Pretty nice! Don't like having two different colors for the same thing (headphone jacks), but I'm just nitpicky.

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:37 pm

Did you cut down the ZN-40 widthwise?

64M320N3

Post by 64M320N3 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:38 pm

Doesn't look like it.
Making stuff with my new beautiful CNC machine!
Would you like a professional looking custom case for your portable? I may be able to help you. Check out this link:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32724

OhSnap!

Post by OhSnap! » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:03 pm

Well we will see if the headphone jacks compliment the unit, I believe they will as the colour scheme is bright/vibrant colours on black.

No I haven't cut the case to be narrower, I just have a bigger screen than people like LoB. It's 5.6 inches or so where as his was 5.
I am hooking up the z button to the right trgger by just soldering the wires off it to where the rights were.
Last edited by OhSnap! on Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

OhSnap!

Post by OhSnap! » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:28 pm

sorry double post tiem.

i have a problem, my expansion pack gets in the way of the screen. well i doesn't when i remove the heatsink i have on the chip. a smallet heatsink wouldn't help as there is less than a cm to spare.
i really dont want to relocate the expansion pack
so i was wondering if you guys think it would be a good idea to have the metal boarder around the screen as the heatsink. i cant imagine the heat would damage the screen and i am sure it would be enough to dissapate the heat. but what do you guys think?

also i realised that i had the screen upside down when i was spacing things out and now the start button won't fit. luckily that is the only thing i need to change. so i will be filling in the hole and putting it on top.

blaze3927
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:notjames

Post by blaze3927 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:39 pm

i dont have a heatsink on both of my expansion packs and they work fine, payed through hours of conkers and still going strong, so yes using the screen as a heat dissipater for the ramchip should be fine, the ramchip definitley wont pump out enough heat to cause any damage to the screen.
btw way to have the same soldering iron and standas me...(jaycar?)

btw are you using a third party conetroller? you could double the R3 button (when you push the analog stick down) as the start button
Australian Kaillera server
[url]hhttp://i56.tinypic.com/ncb0wi.gif[/url]

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:46 pm

I took my expansion pack out of it's case and put it in the Darth64 without a heatsink and it worked perfectly.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

Dodificationer

Post by Dodificationer » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:37 am

I noticed that you didn't mention making room for the controller extension port.
I personally think you could do a relocation and then possibly fit the actual part from the controller shell into a spot on the case to make sure the rumble pack, memory card etc fits.

I'm liking the 2 headphone ports, i have the same problem at school.

Good work

OhSnap!

Post by OhSnap! » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:37 am

Ok I just wanted to do a little update.
I have been in hospital a bit last week and my cousin has been over so I haven't done much over the week.
I stuffed most of the bits except 4 of the battery cells into the case and it fits with room to spare. So i will be doing just a bit more on the front half and sides before i work on the cartridge unit.
I can't wait to just get this thing painted already :roll:

I did another cruddy paint mockup with a trackpad, this one being better.
So have done a bit of a redesign.
First off the start button needs to be moved as the screen was actually upside down when I measured it up so it is now in the way.
I also want to redo the power button as i am not pleased with how the old one made it asymmetrical.
Last edited by OhSnap! on Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

OhSnap!

Post by OhSnap! » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:41 am

WOW I am actually doing an update?!!!?!!?!!? It's a big one folks.
I have been slaving away in my workshop for the past few weeks to present to you these sexy goods:

Sorry for the average pictures, my camera's screen is broken so I have to shoot blind.

I have redesigned the controls quite a bit. The start button is now under the a and b buttons as it's old position got in the way of the screen. I didn't like the idea much but it actually works and it is difficult to accidentally bump.

I also scrapped that stupid enormous power button and put in the new slots above the joystic hole for the power and amp buttons. The buttons themselves are curved with the case so you can run your finger across the top edge and it is smooth riding. They are also nicely textured. The power on button even has a little power symbol etched into it. I sourced the buttons from the case of one of my mini-itx computers.

The paint job was a pain it the butt and good hard elbow grease. At first I bought some semi gloss spray paint and the resulting paint job sucked hard. Every single imperfection showed up and it looked horrid, making me feel like I had completely spoilt all the hard work I had put into it. So I fretted for a while until I remembered what the guy who made the playmad did after having that exact problem. He wet sanded it down (Wet sanding is the best thing ever :mrgreen: ) and gave it some flat black love 8) . The difference is impressive. It brought a massive smile to my face to see it like this.

As you can see there is a ribbon cable dangling around. It is there because i wanted to have the cart. slot holder molded into the back so I had to put in the cart slot already. The cart slot itself is the bottom section of a d-link wireless router case that I hacked up and smallerized. I like the look it gives.

Finally a few small things I did as well:
- Drilled a hole for the av out and counter-sunk the holes a bit to make em look better.
- Rather averagely cut slots for the volume and brightness sliders thingys. It doesn't matter anyway.
-Added the vga style connector for the 4 player ports, the module won't be screwed onto the back below the cart holder, just on a cable.
-Added hole for charger
-I decided against doing the led mod due to lack of time and If I was to damage the screen or run into Issues i wouldn't be able to complete the project plus I am not to fond of the look. Instead I will be buying another of the exact same battery pack I have used to serve as a backup. I have just realised that I will have to cut another hole to put in a switch to switch between the battery and ac power, not really a big deal though.

So I have a week to shove all the guts in before I have to put it on display, better get cracking. Wish me luck
Last edited by OhSnap! on Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diminuendo

Re: The 64snap! worklog *case complete*

Post by Diminuendo » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:44 am

wow, that case looks terriffic