SNES directional pad question

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Infinite_Lives
PSN Username:SweetDave
SNES directional pad question

Post by Infinite_Lives » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:21 pm

Hi,
I am about to start my first portable, and SNESp, and am currently gathering everything i need so I can make sure I get everything right. I was mulling over what buttons to use for the system, buttons from an original snes controller or these 3rd party one I have which has a different colored button for X Y A B and has the letters engraved in the buttons themselves. Then I had an idea as to whether or not a joystick form like a psone controller would work on an snes system. I know that the snes wont recognize the extra movements from the joystick, but thought it might be cool to use a joystick on an snes system. So, I guess my question is, is that possible?
Thanks

64M320N3

Re: SNES directional pad question

Post by 64M320N3 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:17 pm

Well, as it is feasible, what would be easier is to get the cap of the analogue stick and glue it to the D-Pad.
It's cheap, works, and you don't have to mess with any electronic components. :D
Making stuff with my new beautiful CNC machine!
Would you like a professional looking custom case for your portable? I may be able to help you. Check out this link:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32724

Infinite_Lives

Post by Infinite_Lives » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:33 pm

Thats a pretty good idea, I wonder if a glue gun glue would hold or if you'd have to use super glue, it would be a shame for it to pop off in the middle of use

samjc3
Steam ID:samjc3

Post by samjc3 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:37 pm

Infinite_Lives wrote:Thats a pretty good idea, I wonder if a glue gun glue would hold or if you'd have to use super glue, it would be a shame for it to pop off in the middle of use
i would say use bondo, or abs cement. actually fuses the plastic. much stronger. :wink:

but, it is possible to use a real analog stick instead. LoB did it on the superboy. might wanna pm him about it. :wink:
AfroLH wrote:
HotDog-Cart wrote: Also, the codename stuff adds a little bit of sexyness, in my eyes.
Yeah well Alcohol adds a little bit of sexyness in my eyes, but I dont drink it all the time. :wink:
SpongeBuell wrote:As proof, I offer this picture of a monkey on my head.

limpport

Post by limpport » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:03 pm

LoB Superboy was a chopped down PS2 stick on top of a multi directional tact switch. The same can be achieved with four regular tact switches. Fill the inside of the analog stick (just the plastic part), and mount the tact switches on pc board far enough apart for the stick to cover them. Then put something in the middle of the tact switches that is the same height as the tact switches. This will prevent pressing all 4 switches at the same time accidently. It will make it feel better too.

Grandmasterjimmy
PSN Username:PeglegJimmy

Post by Grandmasterjimmy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:50 am

http://wocares.com/modding/article.php?id=27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This should work just fine, but in my opinion the D-pad is much better to use.

Infinite_Lives

Post by Infinite_Lives » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:50 am

wow thanks for that link, very informative and helpful. I havent yet decided if i want to do it but that definitely will be helpful!