How to keep buttons from spinning?

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

snowpenguin
How to keep buttons from spinning?

Post by snowpenguin » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:53 pm

I have ground down the buttons for my N64p to a good height, and will be adding in bits of plastic lengthwise along the diameter of the button plus a tad, but how do I keep the buttons from spinning?

collinE

Re: How to keep buttons from spinning?

Post by collinE » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:29 pm

is it possible for you to mimic how an actual controller does it in your portable? with the shaft that follows the button hole down and the shaft has a groove that matches up to a bit of plastic on the button?

Does that make sense? or do your eyes keep stopping on the word "shaft"? anyway, that's the only way I know how to do it.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:42 pm

I understand what you're saying, but have no idea how I could implement that idea anyway...

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:27 pm

Hollow out a bit of plastic and be sure that the diameter matches up with the buttons. Use an exacto knife and very, very carefully cut out small notches. Match the button's pegs with said notches. Bondo these plastic "shafts" to the button holes and drop the buttons in.

Of course, that's the complicated/frustrating way. The best way would be to dissect an existing N64 controller and use those holders.
what is this i don't even

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:36 pm

I'm using a ZN-40, so the N64 holders would be a problem, as they're curved, but I could make it work. I'm trying to get away without painting as I like the existing finish of my case, so I don't want to have to do any bondo'ing..

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:57 pm

The best way is to use the buttons (or the whole controller) from one of these:

The buttons on this controller lie on a perfectly flat plane. Not curved, like the official controller.

To keep the buttons from spinning, you can glue some pieces of plastic around the tabs on the buttons. If you don't mind working with bondo and doing lots of sanding, though, you can cut out the button portion of the controller and put it in your case. This way you get perfect holes.

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:01 pm

Yes, I was thinking of doing that and it may still be do-able, but I have already ground down the buttons, so they are without tabs. I might be able to mimic those tabs with plastic, though...

neverused

Post by neverused » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:42 pm

Hackmdford's idea in this post may suit your problem. You could simply add two "wings" to each button and make a corresponding slot to keep it from rotating, though even one such "wing" would work.

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:45 pm

This may be what HMF did but that picture gave me the perfect idea! Will post pics soon. I'm going to take some plastic and drill holes to match the buttons. Then I'll cut my 'wings' and mount the plastic to the inside.

collinE

Post by collinE » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:36 pm

sounds like you found a solution, BUT you could glue the buttons directly onto the tact switches or rubber... pad things so that the button is part of the guts.

p.s. wings are for fairies. just sayin :)
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:58 pm

Well if I'm "cutting my wings" I guess I don't want to be a fairy anymore... :lol:

neverused

Post by neverused » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:17 am

You could also just use a paper clip by heating it up and sticking it in the side of the button, so that it would act like a wing or a guide.

just a thought...

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:59 am

snowpenguin wrote:This may be what HMF did but that picture gave me the perfect idea! Will post pics soon. I'm going to take some plastic and drill holes to match the buttons. Then I'll cut my 'wings' and mount the plastic to the inside.
... Didn't I suggest that in my post? :facepalm:
what is this i don't even

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:42 pm

Kind of, but I interpreted your idea to mean plastic tubes, as in the '64 controller, not plastic sheets. If that is what you meant, oooooooppps.

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:29 pm

snowpenguin wrote:Well if I'm "cutting my wings" I guess I don't want to be a fairy anymore... :lol:
Coming out of the closet are we?
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts