SNES Power -up problem

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

limpport
SNES Power -up problem

Post by limpport » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:11 pm

So I got power hooked up to my SNES mini board, but I get no image from the SNES. I checked to see if there was +5v coming out of the 1st pin in the controller ports, but there was not. So I have a couple questions:

1. The SNES mini takes only 5v to run properly, right?
2. Is the SNES mini like the DS, where it will not run if a component is not hooked up properly hooked up? I mean, will it not run if the cartridge slot is not properly hooked up?

Oh, and the 5v that I've been using for power is off of the 7805 on the back of the PSone screen. I have one regulator running the LED's in the screen, and the other is for the SNES.

Hifeno
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: SNES Power -up problem

Post by Hifeno » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:01 pm

I am having a similar problem with my SNES Mini except I am getting video but no audio. I hooked mine up to the regulator on the psone screen also. Tried audio on psone screen and tv but got nothing.
That's Hacking Awsome
Visit my Website http://hifeno.webs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zeturi
PSN Username:Zeturi_

Post by Zeturi » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:01 pm

Maybe the draw from the SNES and psone screen combined is too much for the onboard screen's 7805 to handle. Maybe split your power source two ways, with the power running to the screen, then running another set of wires from the battery to a seperate 7805 for the SNES alone. Like this:

Psone screen
^
Power
v
7805 - SNES

Shouldn't be too much amperage for the single 7805, consuming less than 1000ma, but you never know.

Grrrr... edited crappy example. Twice.
If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:01 pm

I ran the SNES off the PSone audio amp 7805 (on the right of the PCB)

Hifeno
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Hifeno » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:33 pm

ben did this with his snes portable and it worked fine.
That's Hacking Awsome
Visit my Website http://hifeno.webs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

limpport

Post by limpport » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:20 pm

Hifeno wrote:ben did this with his snes portable and it worked fine.
That's why I tried it off of the PSone screen first. I got it to power up with an "external" 7805 (got 5v out of controller pin 1), but I had just desoldered the cartridge slot, so I had no way of checking :facepalm: The 7805 I'm using is basically the power board in a NES Yobo condensed very small.

Once I got the cartridge slot back on, I tried again, but it did not work. Unknown to me, however, the 7805 board became extremely extremely hot in about 10 seconds. All I can say is that I've changed my fingerprint (again). :lol:

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:17 pm

limpport wrote:The 7805 I'm using is basically the power board in a NES Yobo condensed very small.
It might be that the 7805 you're using can't handle the current you need.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!