Do we have room for another N64P? (t64 WIP)

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

stuntpenguin007
Re: Do we have room for another N64P? (t64 WIP)

Post by stuntpenguin007 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:14 pm

ok. Thanks. Since the main reason I'm doing this is for a memory card without a battery, I'm going to try make it memory card sized. No soldering onto another memory card required.

I can't seem to find a ramtron library with that chip. What did you use (in eagle)?
SNESP WIP
Case - 50%
acquired parts - 90%
assembly - 0%

kibble

Post by kibble » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:23 pm

stuntpenguin007 wrote:ok. Thanks. Since the main reason I'm doing this is for a memory card without a battery, I'm going to try make it memory card sized. No soldering onto another memory card required.

I can't seem to find a ramtron library with that chip. What did you use (in eagle)?
I was going to do the same thing but, since I was mainly just wanting to test if the chip worked I didn't bother making a whole 'nother board and just made the adapter.

I made my own device in EAGLE. :D

PM me your email if you want and I'll send you the file.
Coming Soon: Kibble's L'Ectroshop (parts and stuff FS)

evilteddy
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:Kirren of Smeg
Steam ID:kizzinator

Post by evilteddy » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:21 am

Might I just take a moment to say well done on the progress so far. It looks like you are working very quickly which is very good... because I don't want to wait to see how this project works out.

Just a quick question, is the controller integrated on this board? I thought that the section down the bottom right looked controllerish but I could very easily be wrong.

Keep up the good work

Evilteddy

kibble

Post by kibble » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:18 am

evilteddy wrote:Just a quick question, is the controller integrated on this board? I thought that the section down the bottom right looked controllerish but I could very easily be wrong.
Yes, that's correct.

Well, just to re-cap, and for those that are just joining this thread, here's what's going into this project/is planned at the current moment:

The portable will have two 36Mbit RDRAM chips on board to support games that require expansion pack.

On board power supply for 3.3v and 3.3V to 5V step up.

On board game controller with rumble and 1Mbit FRAM chip for saving games in one of four memory card "pages" (so it's like having 4 memory cards built in).

Headers for all connections that can't be on board like cart slot, controller buttons, video/audio, control stick.

Temperature controlled fan for cooling off the system after it hits a pre-set temperature.

3.5" LCD that will interface to the RCP digitally vs, using the analog outputs (the guys here convinced me of trying out this route :lol: not that they had to try very hard :mrgreen: ).

LOB64 compliance, just for that extra something. LOL

Tentative additions: Microcontroller for controlling the LCD and for other yet-to-be-determined uses.

and this all must fit in a case no more than 1.5" thick (less is even better) including batteries but, not including the cart slot in the measurement.

thewise1
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by thewise1 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:29 pm

Everything looks awesome, except for the fan option. I was thinking that a copper sheet and a few ventilation holes might do the trick. If the fan is going to suck air through small holes it's going to be really loud and annoying. And to avoid that noise you would have to make the fan visible. I wouldn't think that all the components being so close together would create that much extra heat would it? I'm just saying for the future best n64p in the world a fan might now be the best option.

Oh and also I was wondering if it was really that safe to put the rumble motor on the motherboard rather than the case. That just seems to me like it will knock something loose. Oh well.

The fan is just IMHO, but maybe more smaller holes might do the trick to reduce noise. Or even hexagons if you know how to make those holes. I can't wait to see this thing built.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:24 pm

You and I seem to be having a lot of the same ideas :) The only difference is that I'm laying out a 4-layer board.

stuntpenguin007

Post by stuntpenguin007 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:41 pm

Thanks for the library. Should get around to finishing the memory card sometime this week.
SNESP WIP
Case - 50%
acquired parts - 90%
assembly - 0%

kibble

Post by kibble » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:44 pm

thewise1 wrote:If the fan is going to suck air through small holes it's going to be really loud and annoying. And to avoid that noise you would have to make the fan visible.
The fan is flat and made of aluminum so it can sit directly above the RCP or CPU and act as a heatsink, it's also only 1cm thick. It'll blow air out to the side, not through like a normal fan. You'll see what I mean.
marshallh wrote:You and I seem to be having a lot of the same ideas :) The only difference is that I'm laying out a 4-layer board.
Are you going to have the board made elsewhere or are you making the board yourself?

neverused

Post by neverused » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:17 am

I don't know if this is any help, but I found the N64 patent online.

kibble

Post by kibble » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:54 pm

neverused wrote:I don't know if this is any help, but I found the N64 patent online.
Seems to be talking mostly about the rumble pack and how it works. It would be cool if it had more info on the console itself.

kibble

Post by kibble » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:27 am

Update:

Removed LM2596 switching regulator and associated components and replaced them with pads to solder a PTH08080 regulator onto. The LM2596 only has a switching frequency of 125kHz and the PTH08080 has a frequency of 300kHz so I think that may have been part of the heat issue I was having. I'd rather keep things cooler inside. Now I gotta get samples from Ti... How picky are they about who gets samples? I ordered some samples from them once using a company email where I was working but, I no longer have that email.

Removed AVDC-NUS chip from board and replaced with a connector that will interface with another board that will contain the LCD and an audio DAC.

Removed the 5V step-up circuit as a result of removing the AVDC-NUS.

Made some other connections between the CPU and PIF and have some of the power traces and more ground down.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:22 pm

kibble wrote:Now I gotta get samples from Ti... How picky are they about who gets samples?
They don't check the name you use beyond "Does it sound like a business?", so don't worry about it.
what is this i don't even

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:28 pm

What's that big empty space for over on the right of the board?

Idea: If you're going to leave the space there, why not integrate some contacts for the PTH08000/08080 if it will fit?

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:04 pm

I've used my gmail account with TI a few times without any issues.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

kibble

Post by kibble » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:13 pm

snowpenguin wrote:What's that big empty space for over on the right of the board?

Idea: If you're going to leave the space there, why not integrate some contacts for the PTH08000/08080 if it will fit?
kibble wrote:Removed LM2596 switching regulator and associated components and replaced them with pads to solder a PTH08080 regulator onto
dragonhead wrote:reading skillz 101
:lol: It's on the left bottom. I'm not sure what to do with that space yet. I have a feeling I may have to add the AVDC-NUS back in.... specially for LOB64 compliance but, I can still keep the header there for digital video.
Life of Brian wrote:I've used my gmail account with TI a few times without any issues.
Shakespeare wrote:They don't check the name you use beyond "Does it sound like a business?", so don't worry about it.
Ok, I guess I can make another name on my email account that sounds a bit more professional, I don't think "kibble" cuts it as sounding business like. LOL