Genesis Model 1 Portable?

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

doonbugie
Genesis Model 1 Portable?

Post by doonbugie » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:53 pm

I'm thinking of making my old Genesis Model 1 ( The genesis with the HD Graphics on the top) into a portable, Since I dont have a power supply for it. So what would I need to build it into a portable? My budget is $40. I know Im choosing the chunky genesis but hey, It plays import's. And I just plain like it so dont tell me to buy a Genesis 2. Because I dont want to cut up my genesis 2.

gumbyx84

Re: Genesis Model 1 Portable?

Post by gumbyx84 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:44 am

doonbugie wrote:I'm thinking of making my old Genesis Model 1 ( The genesis with the HD Graphics on the top) into a portable, Since I dont have a power supply for it. So what would I need to build it into a portable? My budget is $40. I know Im choosing the chunky genesis but hey, It plays import's. And I just plain like it so dont tell me to buy a Genesis 2. Because I dont want to cut up my genesis 2.
I'm not all that knowledgeable about modding, but you will most likely need more then $40. If that is your budget, I would recommend just getting a Nomad. They cost abut $50 and will do exactly what you want. Or you could wait for the Nomad clone that is coming out (http://kotaku.com/5302725/new-sega-handheld-coming" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Plays original games, has built in rechargeable battery, and will allow play downloaded games (yes the company making this is starting up Genesis game development again) from an SD card.

wallydawg

Post by wallydawg » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:02 pm

well the genny 1 is quite large so if you are set on making something with it I would suggest getting larger screen and making a tablet style portable

gumbyx84

Post by gumbyx84 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:35 am

wallydawg wrote:well the genny 1 is quite large so if you are set on making something with it I would suggest getting larger screen and making a tablet style portable
O_O oh..... Me likey that idea. To do that, one would have to do RGB or S-Video mod to get the video to work with the screen right? I ask this because I have waned to learn to do mods on my own, but have never had the time (college and work at same time) or space (current apartment is small studio) to seriously get into it. Now that I am finally getting a new apartment where I should be able to set up a work bench, I'm going to start self-teaching myself how to do all this. Still need to understand what kind of work goes into making a portable system.

I know I kinda contradicting my previous post, but a tablet would probably be a better idea the a handheld. It still would require more then $40 though.

Cotter

Post by Cotter » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:30 am

gumbyx84 wrote:
wallydawg wrote:well the genny 1 is quite large so if you are set on making something with it I would suggest getting larger screen and making a tablet style portable
O_O oh..... Me likey that idea. To do that, one would have to do RGB or S-Video mod to get the video to work with the screen right? I ask this because I have waned to learn to do mods on my own, but have never had the time (college and work at same time) or space (current apartment is small studio) to seriously get into it. Now that I am finally getting a new apartment where I should be able to set up a work bench, I'm going to start self-teaching myself how to do all this. Still need to understand what kind of work goes into making a portable system.

I know I kinda contradicting my previous post, but a tablet would probably be a better idea the a handheld. It still would require more then $40 though.
Listen, Gumby...if you're lucky, you'll get a half-decent screen for forty bucks. If you really do want to make a "tablet," then a large, expensive screen is really the way to go.

However, I suggest you buy a Genesis 3 (not a Genesis 2...you can get a Genesis 3 on eBay for ~twenty bucks) and hook it up to a couple of AA battery packs. There's a 7805 regulator on (the bottom-left corner of?) the board:

It's incredibly simple to power it with batteries. Do you have any practice soldering? Or modding in general? Taking on a full portable, let alone a tablet portable, is a bit of a daunting task for somebody very new to this kind of thing.

Also, check the clearly-labeled Genesis stickies for the answers to your video questions. You're a bit off.

gumbyx84

Post by gumbyx84 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:09 am

Cotter wrote:
gumbyx84 wrote:

Listen, Gumby...if you're lucky, you'll get a half-decent screen for forty bucks. If you really do want to make a "tablet," then a large, expensive screen is really the way to go.

However, I suggest you buy a Genesis 3 (not a Genesis 2...you can get a Genesis 3 on eBay for ~twenty bucks) and hook it up to a couple of AA battery packs. There's a 7805 regulator on (the bottom-left corner of?) the board:

It's incredibly simple to power it with batteries. Do you have any practice soldering? Or modding in general? Taking on a full portable, let alone a tablet portable, is a bit of a daunting task for somebody very new to this kind of thing.

Also, check the clearly-labeled Genesis stickies for the answers to your video questions. You're a bit off.
Thanks for the info. I had a feeling I was off. I will be looking over the threads in the sega forum later today.

As for my electronic engineering skills, they are next to none existent. I have basic soldering knowledge, but not much with resisters, capacitors and the like. I have a few people I work with that are (they are engineers) and they help me out when I need it.

I guess I should look for something much easier before trying to do a portable on my own. Sadly, I'm just not finding anything within my scope, other then a GG LED mod, and that's giving me trouble. I was just giving advice people here on the forum have given me (about the cost of making a portable). If I came off like a know-it-all, I apologize.

Cotter

Post by Cotter » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:18 pm

gumbyx84 wrote: Thanks for the info. I had a feeling I was off. I will be looking over the threads in the sega forum later today.

As for my electronic engineering skills, they are next to none existent. I have basic soldering knowledge, but not much with resisters, capacitors and the like. I have a few people I work with that are (they are engineers) and they help me out when I need it.

I guess I should look for something much easier before trying to do a portable on my own. Sadly, I'm just not finding anything within my scope, other then a GG LED mod, and that's giving me trouble. I was just giving advice people here on the forum have given me (about the cost of making a portable). If I came off like a know-it-all, I apologize.
Didn't mean to come off roughly. There's no need to apologize; I'm just trying to save you blood and tears.