My N64p thread

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

wajimba
Re: My N64p thread

Post by wajimba » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:25 pm

Cool- is there a place to look up those cross references?

Another update- started drawing up the design for the case:
It's obviously inspired by Ben's book design, but very hand buildable.

Skyone, what is the purpose for http://genopop.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;? To look cool? Because I am totally ok with that, but just wondering if there is some deeper meaning.

Code: Select all

$> man woman
$> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
[/color]

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:03 pm

It's a game I've been working on for a while now. :lol:

Mario

Post by Mario » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:56 pm

I wanna beta test! :mrgreen:

wajimba

Post by wajimba » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:00 pm

OK, here's the latest update:

In the process of cutting it out with an x-acto now. Just finalized the logo. The best part of that is that the V will be the power LED, and yes it will be that yellow orange.

One issue I'm having is that the screen has some wavy interference going on. It's not an issue with my N64 either, as I tested it on a different composite video input and it still had the same effect. I'll try and post a picture later, because "wavy interference" probably isn't too descriptive. I'm wondering if it could possibly be happening because I have wires soldered to the RGBS inputs, but they're not connected to anything- just picking up background EM. Any other ideas? I do have a zenith screen that came with other junk soldered onto it (some caps, other stuff), which I took off, so idk.
Another issue is when I run the system off of the 7.5V adapter that came with the Zenith screen (psone screen recase fyi). It causes a different kind of interference, and again I will post this for you shortly. No idea what could be causing this one.

Going to be using a PS2 controller for the shoulder buttons. Thanks to the Darth64 for that idea!
Did get some thermal epoxy and glued my heatsinks (and fan too) to the n64 mobo.
Couldn't get the vga input to the screen to work immediately when I tried prototyping it quickly on a breadboard. I'm going to wait on that and the battery level indicator until after I take an Electrical Engineering class this fall semester. Otherwise I just have to finish the front of the case, cut out the back, pick up some screw posts and screws, glue on the side walls, cram everything into the case, wire it together and test it. :) Hope to be done in 2 weeks before my summer is over. I suppose I need to work on it about 2 hrs/day now if I'm going to finish in time.

Once again, thank you to the gurus, and for the inspiration :wink:

$> man woman
[/color]

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:17 pm

Are you sure it's all going to fit? I have my doubts...(scale=1:1 :P )
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

spinout
Portablizer

Post by spinout » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:49 pm

wajimba wrote:One issue I'm having is that the screen has some wavy interference going on. It's not an issue with my N64 either, as I tested it on a different composite video input and it still had the same effect. I'll try and post a picture later, because "wavy interference" probably isn't too descriptive. I'm wondering if it could possibly be happening because I have wires soldered to the RGBS inputs, but they're not connected to anything- just picking up background EM. Any other ideas? I do have a zenith screen that came with other junk soldered onto it (some caps, other stuff), which I took off, so idk.
Give it more juice. I had this same issue with my portable N64, it ended up I was not giving it enough (amp) power.

wajimba

Post by wajimba » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:34 pm

eurddrue wrote:Are you sure it's all going to fit? I have my doubts...(scale=1:1 :P )
Oh, yeah, that's definitely not 1:1. It's going to be about 9"x5"
spinout wrote:Give it more juice.
Ok, I'll give it a try.

$> man woman
[/color]

wajimba

Post by wajimba » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:59 pm

So, I've got the case half built. The plastic piece I have for controller ports 1 and 2 is cracked. Does anyone have a spare?

$> man woman
[/color]

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Post by Basement_Modder » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:48 pm

Just use the 3/4 one.
Cheers,
Basement_Modder

wajimba

Post by wajimba » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:16 pm

But I want to have all 4 ports available :shock:

$> man woman
[/color]

argelfraster

Post by argelfraster » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:53 pm

Its not necessary to have all four though.
:roll:

wajimba

Post by wajimba » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:54 pm

It is if you want to have a fully functioning console when you're done. I posted on the trading post and found someone.

$> man woman
[/color]

Hornpipe2

Post by Hornpipe2 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:52 pm

How does the N64p know to turn off when the breakout box has a P1 controller connected? LOB64 doesn't have a power pin or a way to signal to bypass the internal controller. (I saw your post here: http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php ... 5&start=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but this is only half the story)

wajimba

Post by wajimba » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:30 pm

Ok, I put a little more thought into how I'm ultimately going to wire my system. You're right in pointing out that LOB64 does not have a 3.3V line, or an extra pin for a player 1 auto controller switch. So, to make a breakout pod for external controllers viable, I am going to connect it using another cable/port in addition to LOB64. I'm only planning on using it to carry the 2 needed signals.
For the people that don't know why an external controller breakout pod would be desirable, it will help reduce system size while retaining full console functionality.

As far as a progress update, most of the electronics were fully tested, apart from the controller and mem card/rumble pack. The case is in progress with the metal sides epoxied to the front plastic. I had cut out a piece of plastic for the back, but unfortunately I didn't bend the metal evenly, so it was sticking out past the sides of the plastic. I'm going to trace the new, imperfect shape onto some paper and cut out a new back piece. I also need to drill holes and cut slots in the aluminum for the array of ports and switches I'm planning on having. So, I'd say the case is 65% finished. After that I'll need to install all the electronic parts, ports and switches and wire them up. Oh and can't forget about decals. I suppose troubleshooting is in there somewhere too. Overall I'd say 75% finished, including researching methods and obtaining parts. Unfortunately, I'm away at college for the semester now, so I won't have a chance to work on it again until after Christmas. However, that break for me is almost an entire month so I should be able to finish it before spring semester starts. Plus, that will enable me to take it when I go to the Midwest Gaming Classic! So, mostly focused on schoolwork for now, but thanks for the question Hornpipe2, that was good to clarify.

EDIT: Finally posted that guide in the reference section, http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=33233. I did update it to include what this post talks about. 8)

$> man woman
[/color]