Genesis 3p Buildog BOOM! (On Hold)

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Zeturi
PSN Username:Zeturi_
Genesis 3p Buildog BOOM! (On Hold)

Post by Zeturi » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:40 pm

I've noticed that I don't even start a worklog until I'm nearly 1/3 of the way done. The case is also true here. This was originally a surprise for the comp, but a lot of people have already revealed what they're doing anyway. Besides, now if I need help, I can be a noob and have someone with experience walk me through it the whole way! :P

Progress so far:

I've desoldered the av port, discovered a complete pinout on it (including rgb), desoldered the 7805, (managed to power the system on 4.5v consistently), began working with a hip gear screen (cut the controller board, will do an led mod soon).

All I have to do is wire an audio amp (which I may steal from the Hip Gear's controller board anyway), pick up some rechargables and charger, and make my case. And of course, tie in the screen after it's led modded. Maybe I've passed the halfway mark... NOPE! Still gotta relocate my cart slot!
Last edited by Zeturi on Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

schmellyfart
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Steam ID:schmellyfart

Re: Genesis 3p Buildog BOOM!

Post by schmellyfart » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:54 pm

If I remember correctly, the hip gear audio amp needs ~7 or 8 volts to work.

Zeturi

Post by Zeturi » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:20 am

I is gonna wire my own. The one in the hip gear can go as low as 6v, and I'm most likely running my system off of 4 alkalines.
If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

Zeturi

Post by Zeturi » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:40 pm

I haven't given up, exactly, but parts are too friggen expensive, and I screwed up trying to relocate me cartridge slot. So you know what? I'm going to solder the pins of the only game I own into the cartridge connector. :shock:
On the bright side, my portable will be super thin without a cartridge slot, and with lipos, should be no more than 3/4 of an inch (or 30 mm) thick. I pat myself on the back for persistence! :D

Axaj

Post by Axaj » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:11 pm

Zeturi wrote:I haven't given up, exactly, but parts are too friggen expensive, and I screwed up trying to relocate me cartridge slot. So you know what? I'm going to solder the pins of the only game I own into the cartridge connector. :shock:
On the bright side, my portable will be super thin without a cartridge slot, and with lipos, should be no more than 3/4 of an inch (or 30 mm) thick. I pat myself on the back for persistence! :D
What game might that be?
haterz wrote:omg nuh-uh u liar i have a big ps1 and a small 1 and the big 1 is biger on the owtsides so its biger on the insides too cuz otherwise itd b smaler on the owtsides liar

Zeturi

Post by Zeturi » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:58 am

The 50 cent Sonic the Hedgehog, for now. Possibly Phantasy Star, Later. Pics coming in a few hours.

Zeturi

Post by Zeturi » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:06 pm

Finally got some pics! :mrgreen:

I flattened my capacitors, and removed a controller port. All other ports and switches have been desoldered.

I also cut out the cartidge slot and wired in Sonic not for resale. I just need to get an lcd and I should be set. A psone screen would be a bit big for this, but a hip gear is a bit small. I might order the 3.5 pustom off dealextreme, though. And immediately after the pics, I hot glued the heck out of where I soldered the game.

banditpaw1
Portablizer

Re: Genesis 3p Buildog BOOM! noqw with pics! :)

Post by banditpaw1 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:13 pm

Looks good probably should have tried to buy/trade for a cheap model 2 and stole is cart slot. if you want I have one i would trade for a nes/snes game or 2 pm me. Also good job on cart to slot relocation looks really neat what wire is that?

Zeturi

Post by Zeturi » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:44 am

Thanks! Have no monies right now, and got rid of my nes stuff a while back... still miss it. The wire is just some 24 gauge speaker wire. It's usually too thick, but it worked good for this.

I already desoldered the game, though, just needed to test and make sure everything was working. I'm going to try and reuse the old cart slot, it's just pretty hard to solder to the pins, since they're mostly broken off.

EDIT:
Okay, so I realllly want to use a cartridge for this, so I will at least try to use the one I have. I also cut a bit of the motherboard off. It was 12x12 cm before, now it's 11.5x10.5 cm.

I think I'll try to use my hip gear, but I won't have any room for the audio amp. I will be able to use rgb, at least, so... yay.

Zeturi

Post by Zeturi » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:07 pm

Well, I tried cutting the motherboard down a bit, and I believe my genesis is now done for. I wired up composite, wired the 7805 to the genesis, shared a 9v battery between them. No picture.

I checked my game, it was soldered on right. To make sure it wasn't my screen, I tested it with my xbox and it worked fine. So until I buy another genesis, or more likely a radica, then I will put this worklog on hold for a while. :(

banditpaw1
Portablizer

Post by banditpaw1 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:26 pm

Zeturi wrote:Well, I tried cutting the motherboard down a bit, and I believe my genesis is now done for. I wired up composite, wired the 7805 to the genesis, shared a 9v battery between them. No picture.

I checked my game, it was soldered on right. To make sure it wasn't my screen, I tested it with my xbox and it worked fine. So until I buy another genesis, or more likely a radica, then I will put this worklog on hold for a while. :(
odds are you just cut a trace. if not trade me your mobo?

Zeturi

Re: Genesis 3p Buildog BOOM! (On Hold)

Post by Zeturi » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:55 am

Yep. I've gotten a lot of stuff done. I replaced the Genesis 3 with a working one, and it's uber small. I also began working on my case:

I just need to get my batteries in the mail, and my 3.5 inch screen. A bit more cutting on the case, and some quick bondoing and sanding, and it be complete.

I will probably not update until I finish. Mostly, I was sad to see my work log so far down on the page, and really wanted to bump it. :lol:

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: Genesis 3p Buildog BOOM! (On Hold)

Post by Metallica Man X » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:37 pm

I certainly is! wow, nice work! 8)
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato