My first Portable, N64p

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch
Re: My first Portable, N64p

Post by eurddrue » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:37 pm

robm wrote:Oh my god yes.

They are unbelievably handy to have around. They're better suited for smaller projects, the N64 board is a bit large and heavy for such an instrument, but for just about anything else they're fantastic. You'd probably appreciate having one when you get your voltage regulator.
I'm going to have to disagree with you :lol: Mine are usually in the way when I'm trying to do some tiny soldering and get hucked across the room. I rarely use them, but for some reason whenever I clean I get the urge to put them back on my desk incase I ever need them (which is never :| )
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

glassjoe92
PSN Username:CHNM_RaepTiem
Steam ID:GlassJoe92

Post by glassjoe92 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:37 pm

I have a lot of systems lying around. All of which are too bulky to make portable. But my N64 just broke, so maybe it will have a change in heart, it's actually my little brothers but w/e. I'm in the same boat as you as far as making any sort of portable.

Some things I DO have experience with-

eBay- a website where you hook an account up to a paypal account, you find a product for a reasonable price (watch out for obvious scams, like a screen for 99c.), also look out for shipping prices, that's where a lot of people get you. Also, make sure the item isn't broken! Read the whole product description, and if you still don't know, never be afraid to ask! You don't really ever want to bid on something until the final minutes of it, otherwise you're just raising your own price. There is a time limit on all eBay items, say I posted something at a price of $5 and it had $3 shipping, after a few bids it will go up $x.xx each bid, until finally it ends up $25 on the last few minutes, these are the minutes where prices seem to boost. Especially if a lot of people are bidding. I know this because I sold 4 copies of Vista Ultimate starting at $100, and for 5 days they didn't move AT ALL, then the last 10 minutes I had over $800 in my paypal account! Though, if you ever sell on eBay, they take off a percentage of the money you make, and so does paypal. So you lose a small amount. I ended up paying about $50 of that back to paypal and ebay. Also, watch out for reserves that people set, some people may not sell something until it hits a target price, which is not shown until it is hit. SO- if you bid on an item and are the final bidder by the time time runs out, then you just made your first eBay purchase.

Paypal- hooks up to your bank account and you can transfer money to and from your account for a small fee. Great for online shopping or small business owners.

Even though I'm still a BIG NOOB,

The reason you want to cut the wires so low is so there is no circuit crossing, or shorts in your device, touching wires can really screw things up! I like to stick a SMALL layer of hot glue over my FINAL soldering job. That way, they are separated by a non-conductive substance so there is basically 0% chance of short circuits.

I hope to start a portable of my own soon! Good luck!

Hope this helps.

SjBishop

Post by SjBishop » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:26 pm

I got this mini cpu fan that i wanted to test out:

What would be the correct and safe way to hook this up to a power source to test it?
ZOMG Legend of Zelda ROCKS!

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:59 pm

SjBishop wrote:What would be the correct and safe way to hook this up to a power source to test it?
Red to red, black to black. Try a 5V or so source first. 3-4 AAs should do it. Red is positive.

SjBishop

Post by SjBishop » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:59 pm

WOOT i got the N64 open without a GAMEBIT!:

The Opened N64

Its the Board:

And a Close up of the board:

I was wondering if because it is a 1999 one, wont it be different then, say bacteria's n64 guide? Also, what steps can i do on the board without the battery or the screen right now?

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:55 pm

Do not do anything till you get screen and battery. First test is always to get it working, then make it smaller.

It will be slightly different, but Bacteria uses a PAL one, which is the main reason. ;) Nothing that is a show stopper, though!

Excellent

mikeyg
PSN Username:mikeyg95

Post by mikeyg » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:59 pm

How'd you end up opening it?

argelfraster

Post by argelfraster » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:09 pm

mikeyg wrote:How'd you end up opening it?
Does it matter?
Hows this project going?

SjBishop

Post by SjBishop » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:24 am

I ended up using a billion pens and got one screw out, then i went over to my neighbor and he let me use a pair of super needle nose plyers and then he drilled out the final screw.

Also, this project isnt doing to good, i have nothing except the n64 right now so im not going anywhere with this project till i get ahold of the screen, battery, and case.

OhSnap!

Post by OhSnap! » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:42 am

people do the pen trick wrong all the time. what you do is get your crappy soldering iron and melt a closed off end, not an end that isn't and have it running and melting weirdly and then jam it down the well that the screw is in and let it set for like 30 secs and twist, i ended up using only 2 pens for it and the expanson pack. i used one of these

mikeyg
PSN Username:mikeyg95

Post by mikeyg » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:53 pm

argelfraster wrote:
mikeyg wrote:How'd you end up opening it?
Does it matter?
Hows this project going?
Sorry, that I was curious how others opened it. :evil: