My first Portable, N64p

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

SjBishop
My first Portable, N64p

Post by SjBishop » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:44 pm

Okay, so its my first time attempting to do anything like this. I mean it. I have never soldered, i have never taken apart a 64 (Tho I have been watching a ton of videos and looking at pictures on the different stuff), and the only thing i have so far are some general "Plans"

1. I know i want to make a N64 portable
2. I plan on using a PSone Screen
3. I plan on ordering a ZN-45 case from Polycase.com

This is all i got. :(

I know that i first need to get a N64, otherwise this entire dream wouldn't work. Second i know i need to get ahold of the screen and case, but other then that i need help. I'm not sure what steps to do first with the N64 board after i get it out in the open. (I have people that own a soldering gun and what-not so im not worried about that.)

Any tips/advice is welcome. Thanks in advance for the help.
ZOMG Legend of Zelda ROCKS!

XCVG

Re: My first Portable, N64p

Post by XCVG » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:02 am

Read up on basic electronics, then come here when you are done. And you need a soldering IRON, not a GUN. I use a Weller WP25, nice iron, but a lot of people just use cheap crappy irons from Radio Shack.

Rixer 1337

Post by Rixer 1337 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:34 am

Read the stickies and other peoples build logs. That is how I learn what to do. It might even be a good idea to start on something easier like a NOAC portable or something.
CHECK OUT MY STORE:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=30397
I AM SELLING A NINTENDO DS, INTEC GAME GEAR SCREEN AND MANY OTHER ITEMS. COME CHECK IT OUT!

SjBishop

Post by SjBishop » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:06 pm

Great News! :D
I have located the different tools i will need, like a Soldering/Desoldering Iron, the solder, and a good/cheap dremel kit. Also, i should be getting a slightly used N64 Set from a friend, which will include:
1 N64
4 Original Controllers
1 set of cables needed to hook up and run the 64
and finally,
1 stack of random 64 games, one of which is Super Mario :!:

I'll be posting pictures of the stuff i have later next week, as this will be my N64 W.I.P

OhSnap!

Post by OhSnap! » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:05 am

you and me are in the same boat. i have everything so far except a battery though. have you heard about the contest the forum is holding? you enter your portable that was made in the alloted time and you could win some prizes. it will probably help encourage you to finish theproject when the going gets tough.

Good LUCK

z2442/joey

Post by z2442/joey » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:36 am

hey theres a contest well ill put my n64p in there when im done

SjBishop

Post by SjBishop » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:04 pm

I signed up for the contest.
Also. i have Pictures!:

This is my Soldering Iron, Desoldering Iron, Stand w/ sponge, and some Solder. Also over on the right is a random logitec controller i got from a St. Vincent Store.

This is my very first Soldering job! :D
Even tho it is has no use, and its only one strand connected to the thing with very little solder, it stayed. Not too bad for a first time job.

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Post by Basement_Modder » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:28 am

When soldering for the portable, only strip a tiny bit off of the wire, not nearly as much as you did in that last pic. This prevents shorts.
Cheers,
Basement_Modder

SjBishop

Post by SjBishop » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:32 am

So do you think it would be a good "investment" to go and buy Radioshacks "Helping Hands" product?

robm

Post by robm » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:22 pm

Oh my god yes.

They are unbelievably handy to have around. They're better suited for smaller projects, the N64 board is a bit large and heavy for such an instrument, but for just about anything else they're fantastic. You'd probably appreciate having one when you get your voltage regulator.

SjBishop

Post by SjBishop » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:45 pm

So seeing as how i now have the N64 and controller, i need to get the screen. The Batteries will come at a later date.
1. If i want to get the PSone Screen, will i need to go on Ebay, or do you guys know of any special stores in the Seattle Washington Area?
2. Since ive tried using the pen trick to get the console open, and no success, do i have to buy a special gamebit for 6$ or is there another secret trick to get it open?

metalcookie

Post by metalcookie » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:50 pm

ebay is great for everything.
Citizen Kane

SjBishop

Post by SjBishop » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:52 pm

Since i've never used ebay before, how does it work? What is Paypal? How does that work? How does Paypal work with Ebay? Can you help me?

mikeyg
PSN Username:mikeyg95

Post by mikeyg » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:05 pm

Solder more, practice more.

About paypal, it hooks-up to your bank account so you can buy things online safely. Read about it on their website.. Paypal.com
I suggest getting a cheaper screen, psone's seemed expensive to me..
Ebay is easy. I can't explain it very well, though. :(

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:49 pm

Hah, I have that same iron I think. Utter piece of crap. The tip never stayed on, and then the screw head ripped off the screw when I tried to adjust it. I'm much happier with my Weller WP25. It cost me $50CAD but it was worth it.
SjBishop wrote:So seeing as how i now have the N64 and controller, i need to get the screen. The Batteries will come at a later date.
1. If i want to get the PSone Screen, will i need to go on Ebay, or do you guys know of any special stores in the Seattle Washington Area?
2. Since ive tried using the pen trick to get the console open, and no success, do i have to buy a special gamebit for 6$ or is there another secret trick to get it open?
1. Go to like yellowpages or something and look up video games. There's probably lots of game places to check. A PSone screen is kinda rare though, I know a place in Victoria with a real good selection and they have none. (and they have a Neo Geo, a TG16, a Famicom Twin (not FC Twin) and a Super Famicom (IMPORT!) but they do charge a lot)
2. Okay, with the pen trick you need POLYCARBONATE (most clear ones) pens (get about 10), a lighter, and a lot of patience. Heat the pen so it's like gel. Than squish it on the screw, wait a bit and turn. There's a few variations, you'll find a way that works. If you fail epically, there are other ways to open an N64. Nondestructively you could look for a gamebit in a videogame store. Semi-destructively you could heat the screws and pull them out while they are hot and the plastic is soft. Completely destructively you could saw the N64 in half, rip and snap the N64 apart, or cut through the plastic with something hot (that soldering gun your buddy had would be perfect).