Zapper for Retro-Duo/Fc-Twin

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

AfroLH
Zapper for Retro-Duo/Fc-Twin

Post by AfroLH » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:59 pm

I have found a Zapper for the Retro-Duo!!!

http://vpgames.com/p-3528-light-gun-w-s ... o-duo.aspx

Now we can finally test/play Duck Hunt!!!

XCVG

Re: Zapper for Retro-Duo/Fc-Twin

Post by XCVG » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:59 am

That's been around for a while. It's made for the FC Twin and works with that, no idea about the Duo.

AfroLH

Post by AfroLH » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:58 am

XCVG wrote:That's been around for a while. It's made for the FC Twin and works with that, no idea about the Duo.

It said it was for the Duo as well.

Sun-Wukong

Post by Sun-Wukong » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:52 pm

AfroLH wrote:
XCVG wrote:That's been around for a while. It's made for the FC Twin and works with that, no idea about the Duo.

It said it was for the Duo as well.
And if you look closely you can see it's the same plug too.
Chapel wrote:Ah shucks, I was really hoping to make an SNES encased in a 19 pound glob of hotglue and duct tape. :lol:

stuntpenguin007

Post by stuntpenguin007 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:45 pm

now if only they made a rob attatchment
SNESP WIP
Case - 50%
acquired parts - 90%
assembly - 0%

XSC4

Post by XSC4 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:36 pm

I just wanted to post this as a service to anyone out there that is curious... this "FC Twin Zapper" does NOT work with the RetroDuo.

The picture you see shows it yellow, but in reality it's neon orange. At least that was the one I bought. It came in a brown cardboard box with a little drawing of the zapper on the outside and the gun was inside. When you feel it in your hands it is really just a very cheap imitation of the real NES Zapper (I have one to compare). The type of plastic used is different, the gun is smaller, etc. if you open them both up, you'll see that the new one is a lot simpler and more cheaply put together, and the guts are different (so no swapping out the guts from one shell to the other easily). The original Zapper even had weighted bearings in it for balance!

Also the new zapper doesn't have the awesome "clang" noise-maker like the original, it's just a regular old "click."

So anyway, this new zapper was designed specifically for the FC-Twin, to play NES Zapper games, nothing else. The guy who sold it to me on Ebay thought it would work with everything and even with SNES light gun and superscope games. It didn't. On the RetroDuo, it was as if I didn't even have a controller plugged in. I tried both ports. NOTHING. I told him I thought it was defective and ordered a replacement. Same deal with the replacement, so I sent it back and got a refund.

If you have an FC-Twin it might be worth a try, but keep in mind, it shouldn't work with anything but NES zapper games. I've heard people say the targeting is slightly off, but I can't say, because I don't have an FC-Twin.

More of my 2 cents worth...
I bought a (v2) RD some years back and love it. I think it's the best overall famiclone out there that plays SNES games, but really it feels more like a Super Nintendo that happens to play NES carts.

It doesn't have the compatability issues that the other famiclones out there seem to have, and the one I got is still the same one I'm using, it never "broke after 2 weeks" like some people complained about their (other) famiclones. The sound in the NES games is a tiny bit off... a little garbled, that is. And it's a little annoying to have to swap out the S-video when you're playing an NES game vs. a SNES (it works with both but the NES games look better without S-Video and the SNES look better with S-video).

The only other complaint I'd have about this unit (which I've learned to live with) is that the carts feel a little "loose" in there (especially the big tall NES carts), and if you shake the console and wobble them back and forth, the game "screws up" and you need to turn it off and on again (sometimes after a little blowing). Only one cart I had ever didn't work, and that was DD1 for the NES, but I think it's because there was some damage to it. Oddly enough, inserting it via the NES Game Genie made it work perfectly (and DD1 is a lot more fun with the GG anyhow).

I even modified my US snes gg (with a razor blade) to use it on here and use codes in some SFC game. ;)

Supposedly FC games won't work on here, but I wonder if you could use the NES game genie for that...

PS: The RetroDuo when it came out, advertised the "coming soon" NES to SNES adapter (Presumably to let you plug in NES peripherals, including the zapper, into the SNES controller slot on the RD). I have yet to see this peripheral come out, and it has been years...

Edit: I see that the vpgames link has updated their product profile to show that this zapper does NOT work with the Retroduo. If they ever released a working NES controller adapter that let us use the zapper, that'd be a dream come true.