my first snesp project

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

HamooliKabobby
my first snesp project

Post by HamooliKabobby » Sun May 17, 2009 10:31 pm

After my brother tried to do this (but failed) i figured it would be up to me to make a portable super nintendo. After a quick trip to radio shack to get a half decent soldering iron and some other goodies (helping hands is epic.) i was able to start working.

After tearing the SNES mini into two using the flathead screwdriver and pliers method, i extracted the innards. Following the book's procedures, i set out to remove all those big nasty pieces that we dont need. On/off switch and reset button went smooth, DC in and a/v out came off without a hitch, the capacitors and the regulator came off like they were never there.

Today, i figured it would be as good a time as any to desolder that pesky cartridge connector. Yes, i know its probably a bad idea to do a cartridge slot relocation on my first portable, but i couldnt bear to have the cartridge sticking out like it is regularly. Anyways. i desoldered the last lead, and with a little bit of coaxing the connector pulls right off. But gasp! To my horror, 12-15 pins were still in the motherboard! After failing miserably to reinsert them, i gave up. I am in need of help on what to do. Ive hit a wall, and ive got no idea how to put these things back in. I *could* gut one of the regular SNES's my friend has and desolder the cartridge connector on that, but this time having my friend use a solder gun to heat up the solder on the bottom while i wiggle the pins out, so i dont have any stragglers. If it turns out there's some trick to inserting the pins that i missed, i guess ill skip gutting another SNES, but if not i guess i have no choice. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Also, this is going to be a ZN-40 portable. I dont have any materials available to me to make a case with, and i dont want it to look like a ragtag piece of junk using the materials i DO have.

I'll post pics of my progress later.
Last edited by HamooliKabobby on Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ace_1

Re: my first snes portable project- cartridge slot catastrophe!

Post by Ace_1 » Mon May 18, 2009 9:06 am

I've got some news for ya: many original model Super NESes use plug-in cartridge slots. It's a 2-piece system where there's a set of pins soldered on the motherboard, but the slot itself is a separate piece that plugs into the set of pins. It'll make it easier for you.

XCVG

Re: my first snes portable project- cartridge slot catastrophe!

Post by XCVG » Mon May 18, 2009 11:18 am

It's probably best to buy a new cartridge slot. Cannabalizing another SNES will likely yield similar results.

http://store.videogamecentral.com/super ... 62pin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HamooliKabobby

Re: my first snes portable project

Post by HamooliKabobby » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:20 pm

i must apologize for the lack of updates, as i have had a LOT to do lately. I got out of school 2 weeks ago, but i've still been incredibly busy with all sorts of stuff- in any case, time for a well deserved update.

My zn-40 case arrived not to long ago. I was surprised by how sleek it is, can't wait to see how its going to look with everything put together!

and my replacement cartridge slot also arrived- no more dealing with that nasty old one. I finally managed to put wires on each and every pin, but i still have to put the other ends in the motherboard :cry:

the connector, along with one of my battle scars from my soldering iron (i bandaged it because the blister popped and i didnt feel comfortable working around lead based solder with an open wound, heh)

the board itself

my zn-40 case, with the hole for the connector wires to go through

so now on the to do list:
finish attaching the connector to the motherboard

make the controller circuit board

attach the screen (no led mod, im buying 8 ah batteries to support the light bulb)

put the aforementioned batteries in

put the various switches

and last, but certainly not least, the tedious bondo and sanding method of prepping the case to get enough space for the buttons. paint it, let dry, drop everything in and bam! good to go.
Last edited by HamooliKabobby on Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

argelfraster

Post by argelfraster » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:35 pm

Im seeing 3 of the same picture.

ABCinc

Post by ABCinc » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:20 pm

argelfraster wrote:Im seeing 3 of the same picture.
same here
^ *Information above may be incorrect.* ^
^ *This signature may be incorrect.* ^

HamooliKabobby

Post by HamooliKabobby » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:56 pm

fixed the pictures. although the one of the cartridge connector is inaccurate now, as i recently realized that my wires arent long enough to reach the back of the case :cry: . Which means i get to do it all again. Thankfully, i learned a new trick for the pins: Flux. lots of it. :lol: It should go much, much faster now, as i managed to get 4 pins done in about 3 minutes yesterday, so it shouldnt be too much trouble.

stuntpenguin007

Post by stuntpenguin007 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:35 pm

Does flux make it hold better? When I tried to make a nesp the wires kept falling off of the pins, and I'm ready to solder onto the cartridge slot of my snesp now.
SNESP WIP
Case - 50%
acquired parts - 90%
assembly - 0%

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:10 am

stuntpenguin007 wrote:Does flux make it hold better? When I tried to make a nesp the wires kept falling off of the pins, and I'm ready to solder onto the cartridge slot of my snesp now.
Yes, flux often helps. A little bit goes a long way. Technique and proper iron temperature are another two things that help a lot, the first of which really only comes with practice.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

HamooliKabobby

Post by HamooliKabobby » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:47 pm

!UPDATE!
on wednesday i broke both my wrists after falling off a roof. :cry: So, no updates for 4-6 weeks, except maybe x-ray or cast pictures later.

stagueve

Post by stagueve » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:10 pm

Arf, that's too bad... :?
Wish you a swift recovery... :wink:
[Geek & Hi-Tech Webzine]

stuntpenguin007

Post by stuntpenguin007 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:05 pm

Life of Brian wrote:
stuntpenguin007 wrote:Does flux make it hold better? When I tried to make a nesp the wires kept falling off of the pins, and I'm ready to solder onto the cartridge slot of my snesp now.
Yes, flux often helps. A little bit goes a long way. Technique and proper iron temperature are another two things that help a lot, the first of which really only comes with practice.
I've been soldering for a couple of years, and I saw there was flux in the solder I use or at least some of the solder I use. I take it I should just get straight flux.

oh and hope you have a fast recovery :(
SNESP WIP
Case - 50%
acquired parts - 90%
assembly - 0%

mikeyg
PSN Username:mikeyg95

Post by mikeyg » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:18 pm

stuntpenguin007 wrote:
Life of Brian wrote:
I've been soldering for a couple of years, and I saw there was flux in the solder I use or at least some of the solder I use. I take it I should just get straight flux.

oh and hope you have a fast recovery :(
How many years, I've been soldering for almost a year, first time I used straight flux...

Cotter

Post by Cotter » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:48 am

HamooliKabobby wrote:!UPDATE!
on wednesday i broke both my wrists after falling off a roof. :cry: So, no updates for 4-6 weeks, except maybe x-ray or cast pictures later.
What bad luck...hope you feel better.

I think I speak for most when I say that we'd like to hear the story behind your fall.

HamooliKabobby

Post by HamooliKabobby » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:25 pm

Cotter wrote:
HamooliKabobby wrote:!UPDATE!
What bad luck...hope you feel better.

I think I speak for most when I say that we'd like to hear the story behind your fall.
Well, me and some buddies were messing around at an old elementary school campus, playing basketball and such. We got bored of that after a while, so we decided to go look at the children's sandbox/playground just for the lulz. When we got there we noticed the classroom nextdoor had a low roof, and with the fence next to it we could easily climb up on it. So we hopped up with no problems, and even jumped onto the adjacent classroom with no problems. Then, i volunteered to test an awning and see if we could get down on it. I got about halfway down the awning, and then i was on the ground. I don't really remember what happened or how i fell, but i did, and landed on my wrists, which probably saved my life, since my friends said i landed on my back, which was on my wrists, so if it werent for my wrists i could have easily broken my neck or my back. After i hit, i felt like i was in shell shock-everything seemed to go in slow motion. There wasnt much pain at all, a little worse than a dead arm from one of your buddies, but there was a pronounced dip in my right wrist- that was the bone, it had been slightly angled. I suggested we go back to my friend's house, where i iced it, but that didnt help, so i called my parents, and they came and took me to the emergency room.