How do you overclock the processor.

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

geeoh
How do you overclock the processor.

Post by geeoh » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:39 am

I want to get rid of the slow moe feature by overclocking the processor. How can this be done. Would this void my SNES's warranty?

Alchemist

Post by Alchemist » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:18 pm

Slow moe feature?

Anyway, I'm going to take a wild guess and assume that your SNES warranty has run out, probably 10 years ago. To open it you'll need a 3.8mm gamebit (or a biro if you're cheap and you've got a lot lying around, heat up the end and press it on the screw)

*o*

Post by *o* » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:07 pm

of course it will opening it voids the warranty. wouldnt that be expired by now?
Penn & Teller wrote:It's BULLS#%@

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:10 pm

Does that phone number thats on all their stuf still work? I noticed it on the N64 when trying to open it.

Niku-Sama

Post by Niku-Sama » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:06 pm

the phone number i am seeing is gonna be major long distance

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm

Alchemist wrote:Slow moe feature?
I think it was used in the Three Stooges game. ;)

Why would you get rid of the slow-mo feature? That was the selling point of the SNES back in '91, so most games must use it, right?

I think the SNES 90-day warranty has expired by now.
Last edited by bicostp on Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nos_slived
Higher Idiot

Post by nos_slived » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:30 pm

Why the hell I'm helping you now, I don't know, but overclocking a system prevents lag, it doesn't speed up the game faster than it is supposed to go. It is exactly the same as getting a faster computer. A game will only go at it's set speed, no matter whether you run it on 1.8GHz or 2.5GHz.

SNESguy

Post by SNESguy » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:42 pm

The SNES was designed with an underpowered processor on purpose to make it cheaper and avoid heat and power issues. The Slo-Mo "feature" was not an intended feature, just a side effect from the slower clock speed.
If all else fails, take it apart!

nos_slived
Higher Idiot

Post by nos_slived » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:45 pm

I think he meant a specific game.

goodie

Post by goodie » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:31 pm

I've done a lot of searching, and I haven't been able to find a single thing about overclocking the Super Nintendo. I guess no one has done it yet.
On most systems, you just have to find the pin that controls the clock speed. Then you remove the crystal connected to it and replace it with a faster one. I've never done it so I can't really go into detail.
mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsapoiuytrewq

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:34 pm

I remember overclocking my old Mac IIcx. You had to replace the 1 mhz oscillator chip with a 5 mhz one. It went pretty fast.

Anyways, wouldn't replacing an oscillator make the whole thing faster? (I'd keep it standard speed for realism's sake, but everyone can do what they want.)

goodie

Post by goodie » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:10 pm

Not usually. It's supposed to just make everything run smoother, with less slow-down when there are lots of sprites on the screen.
mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsapoiuytrewq

Lupin the 3rd

Post by Lupin the 3rd » Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:13 pm

I've read in a hardware hacking book that it can be done to a sega genisis by wiring the processor to some part of the board, but can't remeber the book. If someone did such a thing to a genisis, snes might be possible.

Stooge

Post by Stooge » Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:36 am

http://www.epicgaming.us/ I think that has just about every console overclock mod there is. I tryed Rob Ivy's site but he had moved in with these guys and then they had moved and the new site dosn't seem to be googled yet. So at the moment its quite hard to find a guide to overclocking a nes/n64/genesis.

maddox

Post by maddox » Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:23 am

ok, got something 4 you.
found it on a german casemodding forum. http://www.project-casemod.de
the tut is done by disco_stu.
to prevent traffic stealing i uploaded the pic's on my space.

and here we go :

open your n64 an locate the following parts : CPU, GPU & RAM

To overclock the CPU you have to desolder the pin 112 and 116 with the help of a needle from the Mainboard. According to desirable speed with 3,3V or ground. To desolder the pins you must heat them up CAREFULLY with the soldering iron and lever the pin with a needle CAREFULLY from the Board. This requires a quiet hand, because this could break off, otherwise, the pin.
Afterwards one simply solders 2 cables to the pins.

If you have created this you should put the cables,
or the wire throu the small holes in the chrome-coloured edge of the Boards.
Connect to 3.3 V exit of the powerswitch (Pin 2.3 or 6 of the switch,
on no fall an another, because these are continuously powered and can damage the CPU).

However, one can cover the ground quite simply directly from the powersupply. On this example I have decided for 2x 3,3V. You should only take this tuning if you have the Color edition of the N64, because normal black edition don't works with that setting. I got only one black picture on this occasion, and I could switch on the N64 for approx. 5 minutes no more. If this happens you should clockdown the console a step. However, in the Color edition it also can happen that the console with not enough cooling has a freeze after 45 minutes.

be sure that you install a propper cooling device to prevent heatdamage or freezing.

If there are any questions or problems with my crappy translation, just ask me.