PS1P Micro!!!! (maybe a record breaker)?

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Re: PS1P Micro!!!! (maybe a record breaker)?

Post by bacteria » Wed May 06, 2009 2:33 pm

On normal CD's when you burn them it is obvious what is burned;however on original PS1 disks, the whole disk is black and you can't see.

So palmertech, assuming you can rip an entire disk onto a mini disk, or whatever, what mini drives would work on the PSone?

Aguiluz

Post by Aguiluz » Wed May 06, 2009 3:59 pm

You could get a chipped PS1 and burn on mini CDs.

That's the only only way to do this easy.

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Wed May 06, 2009 9:28 pm

bacteria wrote:On normal CD's when you burn them it is obvious what is burned;however on original PS1 disks, the whole disk is black and you can't see.

So palmertech, assuming you can rip an entire disk onto a mini disk, or whatever, what mini drives would work on the PSone?
Mini drives?

Black PS1 discs burn at the same data density as normal CDs, so you could look at the size of the ISO, then mark the spot where the burn stops on the burned ISO. Measure the distance from the outside of the disc, and then grind away the same amount on the PS1 disc. Or, modchip the PSone and use burned discs for most of your games.

So you can either rip and burn to a minidisc, cut a normal CD down and burn to that, or cut down the original game. The first two need a modchip, the last does not.

Excellent

blaze3927
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:notjames

Post by blaze3927 » Wed May 06, 2009 11:53 pm

I have a modchip floating around, plus I'm pretty sure you can bypass some chip on the mobo that'll stop the ps1 checking if it's an original CD (I'll try and dig up the link), also you can just do the swap disc trick.
Australian Kaillera server
[url]hhttp://i56.tinypic.com/ncb0wi.gif[/url]

evilteddy
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:Kirren of Smeg
Steam ID:kizzinator

Post by evilteddy » Fri May 08, 2009 4:25 pm

There isn't a simple chip to bypass just to make the copy protection stop working. When a game is inserted the copy protection chip (not actual name) checks its authenticity and country code. If it doesn't check out it won't output the signal needed to start the game. This is where modchips come in. Once you turn on the psone they are responsible for giving that good to go signal. If it is a cheap modchip it will do this all the time and thus anti mod games like FFVIII will not work. More expensive mod chips are less intrusive and turn off when the game starts and shut down if an original disc is being used.

If you can't find a modchip you might need to make your own. The good news is that there are plenty of files to program a PIC to work as a modchip. The bad news is that a lot of these are unavailable because of lost webpages and the PICs they were aimed at aren't around any more. That said I have been working on making my own modchip for a PIC 16F628a so if that works I'll tell you.

Bottom line is be careful with the chip you have.

Aguiluz

Post by Aguiluz » Fri May 15, 2009 12:43 am

I have a chipped PSone and a switch at the back of the console controls the chip at will by cutting power to it when it needs to "hide."

grahf

Post by grahf » Fri May 15, 2009 1:58 am

Check this out:

We also have the blocks, like in Metal Gear Solid. I didn't realize that they were a real product before moving here.

blaze3927
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:notjames

Post by blaze3927 » Tue May 19, 2009 4:49 am

Okay not really an update I know but its frustratingly slow work, a lot harder than I expected, so I'm now looking at changing my point of cut (3 dead boards later), also on the side my plan is to first build one without relocating the board, and fit it inside an gameboy original case with the game genie on top, plenty of space to start off, and later on (holidays maybe) I'll restart the trimming process
Australian Kaillera server
[url]hhttp://i56.tinypic.com/ncb0wi.gif[/url]

grahf

Post by grahf » Tue May 19, 2009 5:10 am

What the heck? I seriously posted that as a reply to the Pepsi/Mountain Dew thread. I dont know how it got here. Sorry about that!

But since i'm posting anyhow, I believe the best bet would just be a mod chip and mini-cdrs. You can strip out the in-game movies to save space.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Fri May 22, 2009 5:18 pm

If you plan on trimming CDs, you might want to make some kind of lathe to do it on. (Freehand circles aren't perfect circles, and you want perfect circles to help keep the disc in balance.)