Slot-loading PSone?

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

sdh
Slot-loading PSone?

Post by sdh » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:54 am

I've been wanting to mod my PSone for a while now and got the idea for a slot-loading PSone.
I searched around to see if this was already done, and hey, it was (with a psx). The only problem is that I can't
find any tutorials for it.

Heres a video of it. He also has another with it in action.

Theres also one guy that modded a 360 in the same manner, but he built his own circuit-board which to go with it.
Apparently he used the slot-load mechanism from an old Apple iMac and attached it to the existing drive.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this mod or maybe a how-to?
I'm not 100% sure how to approach this.

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: Slot-loading PSone?

Post by bacteria » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:58 am

Would be nice to use such a loader!

sdh

Post by sdh » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:08 am

You're quite handy bacteria, do you have any ideas? ;)

Did this mockup for fun

Edit: It seemes RDC here in the forums made the slot-loading 360, here's the link if someones interested.

lwa07st

Post by lwa07st » Wed May 13, 2009 3:22 pm

The look is so neat and modern; I love it; if it is ok with you sdh, I would like to take up the challenge of making this design over the summer?

Is there a way to make a body sensitive, touch capacity shell (or make one of the buttons touch sensitive?), or alternatively does anyone know of any small devices that can be manipulated to do this, in the way small motion sensor ones can? (In relation to this design).

Dark-Aries

Post by Dark-Aries » Wed May 13, 2009 6:16 pm

Problem...where the hell do the memory cards go?

Also It isn't hard...take the laser out of the ps2, put it in the assembly of a slot loading drive...

Now I probably think it's easy...but let's wait untill RDC gives his opinion.

lwa07st

Post by lwa07st » Thu May 14, 2009 2:29 am

Dark-Aries wrote:Problem...where the hell do the memory cards go?

Also It isn't hard...take the laser out of the ps2, put it in the assembly of a slot loading drive...

Now I probably think it's easy...but let's wait untill RDC gives his opinion.
Well, I imagine their would be bit of fiddling with components even if in the grand scheme of things the hack wouldn't be as difficult as some others.

I really would like to turn it on by some form of body capacity i/o though... the design just seems so right for it.

Tibia
PSN Username:Tibia1013
Steam ID:Mulder101361

Post by Tibia » Thu May 14, 2009 8:00 am

There is a way to make metal surfaces into a touch-sensitive surface. The easiest way I know to do it is a box that gets installed in metal lamps. Unfortunately, that box is about 2" square and 1" thick. The majority of them are also wired for three levels of light. I did recently scrap out an electronic piano with touch-sensitive buttons, and I saved the touch-sensitive panel. I haven't figured out how it works, yet.
This post brought to you by David Duchovny's glorious nipples.

lwa07st

Post by lwa07st » Thu May 14, 2009 11:13 am

Tibia wrote:There is a way to make metal surfaces into a touch-sensitive surface. The easiest way I know to do it is a box that gets installed in metal lamps. Unfortunately, that box is about 2" square and 1" thick. The majority of them are also wired for three levels of light. I did recently scrap out an electronic piano with touch-sensitive buttons, and I saved the touch-sensitive panel. I haven't figured out how it works, yet.
I thought about touch sensitive lamps, but then thought that isn't really something I wish to mess with... my thought was more as to whether someone knew how to manipulate something like this; http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2580" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, rather than the rather cumbersome boxes in a lamp.

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Thu May 14, 2009 1:41 pm

What you're looking for are capacitive touch switches. You can't buy them per sé, but they are available. Look into it.
GET FREE WOW GOLD SEX VISIT MODRETRO

Tibia
PSN Username:Tibia1013
Steam ID:Mulder101361

Post by Tibia » Thu May 14, 2009 3:03 pm

lwa07st wrote:I thought about touch sensitive lamps, but then thought that isn't really something I wish to mess with... my thought was more as to whether someone knew how to manipulate something like this; http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2580" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, rather than the rather cumbersome boxes in a lamp.
In theory, you ought to be able to pop it open and find the touch sensitive part to use elsewhere. That's why I saved that touch sensitive panel from the piano. I'd love to find out how it works and incorporate that into a project of my own. I don't know how large that clock's switch would be, but the entire thing looks smaller than the lamp box.
This post brought to you by David Duchovny's glorious nipples.

lwa07st

Post by lwa07st » Thu May 14, 2009 3:21 pm

Thanks everyone for the help.

footinmouth

Post by footinmouth » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:28 am

please forgive me if this is a bump, but to me it looks as though a slot loading psone would be pretty easy to do! take a closer look at the mac cd drive that was used to make the slot loading xbox 360, I have a feeling that it would be possible to make a slot load psone.
i hate how electronic part suppliers give you an option on their website to filter your searches so that you can find a certain part and no results come up!

samjc3
Steam ID:samjc3

Post by samjc3 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:37 am

footinmouth wrote:please forgive me if this is a bump, but to me it looks as though a slot loading psone would be pretty easy to do! take a closer look at the mac cd drive that was used to make the slot loading xbox 360, I have a feeling that it would be possible to make a slot load psone.
not really. the psone uses a custom drive, which doesnt use a standard sata or ide connection. it is possible, but definitely not easy. :wink:
AfroLH wrote:
HotDog-Cart wrote: Also, the codename stuff adds a little bit of sexyness, in my eyes.
Yeah well Alcohol adds a little bit of sexyness in my eyes, but I dont drink it all the time. :wink:
SpongeBuell wrote:As proof, I offer this picture of a monkey on my head.

tom61

Post by tom61 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:10 am

samjc3 wrote:
footinmouth wrote:please forgive me if this is a bump, but to me it looks as though a slot loading psone would be pretty easy to do! take a closer look at the mac cd drive that was used to make the slot loading xbox 360, I have a feeling that it would be possible to make a slot load psone.
not really. the psone uses a custom drive, which doesnt use a standard sata or ide connection. it is possible, but definitely not easy. :wink:
The 360 has a custom drive as well, though tray loading. Please reference the previously linked mod to make a slot load 360, which uses the mechanics of an iMac drive only, not the reader electronics.

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:24 am

My views on a slot loading CD drive, which I plan to try in due course and see if it works, is to mod an old computer CD or DVD drive to replace its spinner motor with the one from the PSone and also the guts and laser. In effect, the PSone will control the CD drive parts as before, with the difference that the computer CD/DVD drive should be able to eject a disk and also load a disk, maybe. That would give a slot-loading device - obviously you can then make the internals as small as you can.

A franken-mod in effect, in theory should work fine as you are using the PSone cable, parts and connector as normal, but separately (but integrated) use the features of a CD drive for "press button to eject" etc.