Please help me make a snesp out of my old SNES!

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

geeoh
Please help me make a snesp out of my old SNES!

Post by geeoh » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:33 pm

I think Ben's book is cool! I got it for my birthday. However, although I see the practicle purpose of using a mini SNES for a portable, I wonder why didn't he make tutorial on how to make a portable out of the original SNES which is easier to find in comparison? Also, like 1% of the people who buy his book don't have access to laser router! Why couldn't he have dedicated only one chapter, or just made a section about it on his web site. This way he could of added more information on portable screens or something. But we probably wouldn't need this message board then. :lol:

Now that I got my rant out of the way, could someone please give me some information on how to convert Ben's construction plans for mini SNES to the regular SNES? Thank You! :shock:

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:48 pm

Its all different, get a miniSNES or you'll be kicking yourself in the ass down the road.

MasterChieff44

Post by MasterChieff44 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:53 pm

you don't need the router, just buy the kit off of the book's site.

Current Projest: SnesP
Stage: eBay

SNESguy

Post by SNESguy » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:12 pm

No you won't be kicking yourself in the ass later, because if you fry a cheap original SNES you won't be as pissed as you would if you fried an expensive Mini. Get what I mean?

Besides the 1992 SNES has tolerable power consumption and lots of grounding strips that you can remove to make it smaller. Just be careful.

Here is my portable of a 1992 SNES old style. I did it to prove that old SNES's do have potential as sweet portable:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/snes1115/ ... /my_photos
If all else fails, take it apart!

SNESguy

Post by SNESguy » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:14 pm

I also think Ben was using big SNES's in the portrait style one. He said that with the trade in of a large SNES, he will cut the cost of making you one. It was on his site a few months back.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:15 pm

^ [napolean_dynamite]Sweet![/napolean_dynamite]

I look at it in this light: Bigger mobo=more space for a bigger screen!

SNESguy

Post by SNESguy » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:18 pm

Good Point!

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:42 pm

SNESguy wrote:Here is my portable of a 1992 SNES old style. I did it to prove that old SNES's do have potential as sweet portable:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/snes1115/ ... /my_photos
Point made, thats a sweet portable, you definitely live up to the name.

NeoGoldenBoy

Post by NeoGoldenBoy » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:50 pm

SNESguy wrote:I also think Ben was using big SNES's in the portrait style one. He said that with the trade in of a large SNES, he will cut the cost of making you one. It was on his site a few months back.
Actually he only uses mini's, there was a post about this topic also.
Ň£ơĢ°łÃ°ęņßõ¥
I'm all alone, dealing with my broken heart. Why I have feelings if they feel so bad. All seems so dark, will I ever see light?

SNESguy

Post by SNESguy » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:21 pm

Thanks for the complement though, I was not completely up on Ben's ideas on that. But o well.

geeoh

Post by geeoh » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:04 pm

[Here is my portable of a 1992 SNES old style. I did it to prove that old SNES's do have potential as sweet portable:

Great pics! Was it more difficult to construct than the mini snesp?[/quote]

SNESguy

Post by SNESguy » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:30 pm

Actually as bicostp said, the larger mobo made it easier to make a symmetrical case with the huge PSOne screen. The construction was not very hard, but it took a while to design a decent case. It's all worth it though.

Also, the 1992 SNES's are also ideal because they have usable RGB video signals and Stereo sound signals right off the mobo. RGB is great for the PSOne screen, because it is higher quality picture than composite. With a mini-SNES you would have to either use composite or amplify the RGB signals because they are too weak to use normally.

Oh yeah, the the old model's cart slots just pop off so they can be replaced when worn out.