Bringing a Genesis 3 back to life with... a GN Twin?

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Ace_1
Bringing a Genesis 3 back to life with... a GN Twin?

Post by Ace_1 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:20 pm

Yep, that's right, I have a dead Genesis 3 that I'm reviving with the Genesis board off my GN Twin(I know it has nothing to do with portables, but it's still a console mod). It's the only board I have that can fit inside the Genesis 3, so I can only use that. But, along with the new board comes some extras the Genesis 3 was never capable of out of the box:

-It can now play Virtua Racing
-It can now play Sega Master System games
-It can now *partially* play 32X games(RGB video outputs from the TecToy-580G haven't been found yet, and the 32X's PWM audio goes nowhere from the cartridge slot)

So far, I've done this:

-Cut down the board to fit inside the Genesis 3's casing(too wide)
-Mounted the power supply input
-Mounted the power switch
-Soldered A/V connections(except RGB) to a 9-pin Mini-DIN
-Mounted controller ports

Speaking of the controller ports, guess what? I've found out how to use Sega controllers on the system(Master System controller and Light Phaser, Genesis 3-Button and 6-Button)! I'll have a mod guide posted in another thread.

grahf

Re: Bringing a Genesis 3 back to life with... a GN Twin?

Post by grahf » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:56 am

Sounds cool, i'm looking forward to pics. I always liked the looks of the Genesis 3, but the lack of compatibility is a big turn off.

Ace_1

Re: Bringing a Genesis 3 back to life with... a GN Twin?

Post by Ace_1 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:45 pm

Pics of the COMPLETED project will come tomorrow. I just have to align the pushbutton for the Reset signal with the plastic piece on the Genesis 3's casing that pushes on the Reset button, and it's finished!

It will be upgraded later on, however. As you know, the GN Twin has nasty Genesis audio quality, so I'm going to make a sound circuit based off the Genesis Model 1's Mono audio output, but modified for Stereo sound.