SNES problems

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

themadhacker
SNES problems

Post by themadhacker » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:46 pm

As some of you know, I just bought two broken snes systems for dirt cheap on ebay.

Now I want to fix them. The one is a smaller board version of the original snes (not the mini). It sort of works. When I turn it on, I can play mario world, but when I get to the end of a level and my points add up, It won't let me continue with the game. And when I put in a game like street fighter of killer instinct, the "liscensed by nintendo" words appear and the title screen music playes, but there is no title screen. Donkey kong country won't work at all.

On the other snes is a normal sized board one, and no games work. Each time I put a game in, I get a purple screen and nothing more.

First of all, NO I did not reloctate the cart slot, and The cart slot is not the problem. You see, the snes's that I have are the types with removable cart slots. Only one came with a cart slot, and I have been using the same one for both systems.

I was thinking perhaps the capacitors are dead. Anybody else have an Idea on what could be wrong?
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

XCVG

Re: SNES problems

Post by XCVG » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:24 pm

Cap issues usually cause video problems or resetting, not usually lockups.

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:49 pm

Well, that's too bad. In anycase, I have enough projects as it is. These will be used as parts.

manuba
PSN Username:w33dw4c3r
Steam ID:Truckstop13

Post by manuba » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:23 am

Ok, so my snes is reddish in screen color. Unmodded and plays games, just all color is reddish and no white. Any ideas???

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:07 pm

Try cleaning your cartridge connector.
Hey, sup?

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:51 pm

bump. I gutted the snes that did nothing, and kept the half working one. Now I want to fix the one that sort of works. Does anybody have an idea of what is wrong with it?

weaponepsilon

Post by weaponepsilon » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:04 pm

HIJACK!

I was repairing my stores back stock of old 16 bit systems, when I can across and SNES that I had marked as good, but needed components. The manager told me to double check it to be sure. I grabbed a copy of "Total Carnage" and "Starfox" and happily plugged them in, starfox first. For some reason I get only the SNES end of the graphics and music and none of the FX chip graphics. The screen goes blank and the title music plays. I tried a different SNES to be sure it wasnt the cart and it worked fine. Total Carnage plays fine, just the system doesnt like the Fx chip games. I don't have a good cart slot cleaner for the system, but before I go and build a flat plastic wedge I figured I'd ask if anyone else every had this problem.
http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/weapon_epsilon
Trade thread!
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24425" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Currently owned: (In response to Tibia)

52 platforms; 67 individual systems; 919 singular games (0 doubles!); 2 arcade cabs

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:30 pm

your problem sounds similar to mine.

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:49 pm

Man, those flat plastic wedges can be a real pain to build.
Hey, sup?

weaponepsilon

Post by weaponepsilon » Fri May 01, 2009 11:03 am

Heh. I was thinking of grabbing a thin putty knife and using one of those cloths that we use to polish cds with. Most of the stuff I have to work with is generally minimal, so if I need something I have to go out and buy it. They don't really give me much of a budget. Instead, of running to Home Depot, I thought I'd research a little bit first.
http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/weapon_epsilon
Trade thread!
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24425" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Currently owned: (In response to Tibia)

52 platforms; 67 individual systems; 919 singular games (0 doubles!); 2 arcade cabs