Official LOB64 Interface Standard

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

ToastBucket
Re: Official LOB64 Interface Standard

Post by ToastBucket » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:06 pm

I don't really understand what this is for :( soz guys
This place is fun.

ToastTech Forums: Built with love.

JariV

Post by JariV » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:26 am

ToastBucket wrote:I don't really understand what this is for :( soz guys
It's for linking 2 portables ;)
themadhacker wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:What are radio shack buttons?
buttons you buy at radioshack.

Mario

Post by Mario » Sat May 22, 2010 6:48 pm

Big update.
I finished two N64 portables and built a LOB64 cable and tried this out. I found out that it only works if both N64's are on.

That means no switch to turn the N64 off. The only thing needed now is to wire a port, and that's LOB64.
It's too bad it won't work with the slave N64 off, it saves some power.

How you determine which portable is master or slave now is by which one has a cartridge in it and by the cable.One side of the cable plugs into the master, and the other into the slave. It has to be labeled, plugging the cable in backwards won't work. (See diagram in first post)

Without both portables (controllers) on, the master works fine, but when you plug the cable in to both portables it makes the master freeze until you take it out again. If both portables (controllers) are on, the master does not freeze, but the second-player controller acts erratic, pressing tons of buttons in a row. If both portables have their N64's on, everything works fine.

There must be some kind of interference loop with both N64's being grounded together. In any case, it cannot be fixed, so the only solution is to have both N64's on.

Sorry for any inconvenience! :P

I will put up a video soon of my N64 portables and LOB64 in action. :)

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Sat May 22, 2010 10:21 pm

Very interesting, Mario. Also, very cool! I'm looking forward to seeing it in action. I'm trying to think through why the second N64 needs to be on for the slave controller to work, but I'm not "getting" it just yet.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

Mario

Post by Mario » Sat May 22, 2010 10:48 pm

I spent a while thinking about it, drawing diagrams, and I could not figure it out.

Sneak preview! :D
See Sprocket64 worklog: http://forums.modretro.com/viewtopic.ph ... &start=260" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sat May 22, 2010 11:06 pm

Mario wrote:I spent a while thinking about it, drawing diagrams, and I could not figure it out.
Is there 3.3v going to the controller of the slave when the slave's N64 is turned off? Not sure if that was discussed anywhere.

Mario

Post by Mario » Sun May 23, 2010 2:04 pm

Yeah, there is, vskid. That was actually discussed quite a bit, how to turn the N64 off but keep 3.3v to the controller. But, it doesn't matter now because both N64's have to be on. :P

Okay, cool news! I made a video of LOB64! :mrgreen: It has my Sprocket64 (seen here: http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=37782" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and my Retro64 hooked together with a link cable I made. Everything works flawlessly! :D The only thing is, you need to turn the slave on before the master. The master freezes if you don't do that. The video is kinda dim, with it being split between two sources. I think even the 2-player cable should have a video amp (though not necessary, it's still easy enough to see both screens.), and 3 or 4-player certainly needs one. I'm going to order one and see what I come up with.

Video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1Wnf5IHWto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ishowernaked

Post by ishowernaked » Sun May 23, 2010 4:18 pm

:shock: AWESOME. :shock:

mario, you are truly a genius.
Last edited by ishowernaked on Mon May 24, 2010 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Mon May 24, 2010 5:18 am

It's so beautiful! It's one thing to conceptualize it, it's another to see it in action. Okay, I seriously need to make two N64 portables RIGHT NOW :D You inspire all of us, Mario!
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

Jon

Post by Jon » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:15 pm

Amazing, great work guys! I am a little confused on how you would connect 3 or 4 players though. Would this use a hub/router so 2-3 others can connect to the master? Or does the master require 3 ports built in to the portable so others can connect?

bassmasta
Steam ID:randomguy737

Post by bassmasta » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:50 pm

Mario wrote:For three or more players, something called a Klobio Box must be used. Rekarp, Brian and Mario are still working on that, but it just switches the Player One Controller Data lines from players 2, 3, and 4 and puts them on the correct spots for the master portable. A video amp must be included in it, because sending a video signal 4 ways over long CAT-5 cable will result in a very dark picture.
zeturi wrote:If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

Jon

Post by Jon » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:09 pm

Doh. That's what I thought.

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Post by Basement_Modder » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:01 am

Mario, you simply must come to MRCT and bring that with you. If you do, I'll add a LOB 64 port to my current portable and build a klobio box.
Cheers,
Basement_Modder

smitty

Post by smitty » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:01 pm

Mario, that is freaking awesome. It's a shame both N64s have to be on though. Still, it's the most awesome retro mod I've ever seen.
Mario wrote:Yes, I've gone to my local Wal-Mart and was amazed at their selection of resistors, inductors, and FPGA chips. :roll:

Mario

Post by Mario » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:40 pm

Smitty: Thanks! :mrgreen:

BM: I have no clue if I will be going. If I do, I need to pay for my and my parent's plane ticket. :wtf: So, it'd be really expensive for me. I probably won't be going. Sorry. :(