A Sega Genesis/CD/32X in a Saturn shell?

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Twilight Wolf
PSN Username:MySegaSaturn
A Sega Genesis/CD/32X in a Saturn shell?

Post by Twilight Wolf » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:50 pm

I woke up today with this idea in my head: Would it be possible to put the guts of a Genesis/Sega CD/32X setup inside a Saturn shell?

Here's how I envision it: Have a Neptune-type Genesis/32X setup (like Rekarp's) inside the case and have the cartridge slot in the same position as the Saturn's cartridge slot, and then add a Sega CD motherboard and CD drive so that you can also play Sega CD/32X CD games. Also, it'd preferably only require one power adapter, or use an internal PSU and just keep the standard Saturn power cord.

I think it'd make an awesome project, and it's one I'd love to tackle someday, provided I can get my hands on all of the add-ons again. (I don't want to chop up my personal systems just in case I screw up, you see. Not until I've had more practice, anyways.) However, since I've never opened up my Sega CD or seen pictures of the motherboard, I don't know just how feasible it would be to fit everything inside.

Also, I've heard rumors that the Saturn's CD drive is similar to that of the Sega CD and that it's possible to do a straight-across swap, which would make this project all that much easier. However, you know how it is with things you hear on the internet, so is there any truth to this?

Finally, if I, or someone else, were to take on this project, I'd personally want it to resemble a Saturn as much as possible, so is it even remotely possible to keep the Saturn's controller ports and use a Saturn controller to play games? I much prefer the Saturn's controllers to the Genesis's controllers, so if this is possible, that'd be excellent, but if it's not (which I suspect is the most likely), it's no big deal.

So, possible? Impossible? Totally insane? I leave that for you, the experienced modders, to decide.
Tchay wrote:
samjc3 wrote:Fire. Youve probably heard of it?
No he's from Canada.

Twilight Wolf

Re: A Sega Genesis/CD/32X in a Saturn shell?

Post by Twilight Wolf » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:57 pm

Ah, finally, a reply! Thank you!

Wow, I don't know why I never thought of using a CDX; seems like the logical thing to do since it appears to be the smallest Genesis/Sega CD combo available, and since it's compatible with the 32X, it's probably the best option.

Also, swapping the guts of a six-button Genesis controller with those of a Saturn pad might be an easier way to get the job done, and since the Saturn's controller ports have the same number of pins as the Genesis's, those would probably be simple enough to wire to the Genesis's motherboard, giving it the same functionality but a different shape, and if I use the Saturn controller cord, it should work the same as long as I've got the controller guts wired up to it properly, right? Or would it just be easier to put Genesis ports in place of the old Saturn ones?

Finally, since the Saturn's got a built-in cartridge slot, it'd probably just be a matter of extending and repositioning the 32X slot to the desired location and maybe doing a bit of modification to the shell to make sure carts fit properly. However, comparing the 32X cartridges to those of the Saturn, the Saturn's seem larger overall, so the cart slot cutout on the shell should accommodate 32X/Genesis carts with no problem.

Thanks again for the reply; I thought my idea was either insane or just plain dumb for a long time because it had so many views but no replies.
Tchay wrote:
No he's from Canada.

Sun-Wukong

Post by Sun-Wukong » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:02 pm

That's an awesome idea and I can't wait to see someone do it!
Chapel wrote:Ah shucks, I was really hoping to make an SNES encased in a 19 pound glob of hotglue and duct tape. :lol:

Twilight Wolf

Post by Twilight Wolf » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:33 pm

Well, my idea for the controllers was to make them custom: they'd essentially be normal six-button Genesis controllers inside a Saturn controller's shell, and with the Saturn controller plug on the end. Since they've got the same number of pins as the standard Genesis plugs, what I'm thinking is that I could simply rewire the Saturn's controller ports to function as Genesis controller ports; same function, different shape. Same with the controller plug for the custom controllers. Get what I'm saying?
Tchay wrote:
No he's from Canada.

Twilight Wolf

Post by Twilight Wolf » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:40 pm

Yeah, if I do this, I think I'll do both; this way I'll have the custom Genesis controllers inside Saturn controller shells for a real "sleeper" look and feel (I say "sleeper" that way because the end result would be less powerful than what I had to begin with), but also rig up some adapters if I want to get some two-player action going/use other Genesis accessories like light guns, arcade-style sticks, etc.
Tchay wrote:
No he's from Canada.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:00 pm

personally i wouldnt use the CDX, its far to rare and valuable! it would be like hacking apart a toploader NES, you just dont do that!

it should be pretty straightforward to do tho, using a genesis 2 board, 32x and a version 2 sega CD

snume

Post by snume » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:38 pm

yeah, I popped open my Saturn and my Sega CD 2 and the use the same if not a very similar cd drive. I even switched over a Saturn Laser assembly to my X'Eye and it worked so it's compatible to a large degree.. The top of the drive fits the cutout in the Saturn case (the one on the Sega Cd case is smaller so it'll fit in the Saturn) the only real difference at first glance from the top is the spindle's are different. The Sega CD uses the magnetic style like a PC Tray-load CD drive and the Saturn has the lock-in spindle like a laptop drive. No huge deal, though, the Saturn lid has a cutout in it that looks to be able to accomodate the Sega CD's top locking piece.

You aren't the only one who has considered this, good to see someone else who is serious about it.

My other plan is to make my own Sega CD model 1 style with the guts of a Tray-load pc Cd drive and a sega CD model 2. How or when, I have no idea, but it'll happen someday.

Doomed Jedi

Post by Doomed Jedi » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:26 pm

Segacd in a saturn case from schematic and parts only no modding, from scratch components
six button controller only a 3 button left others for looks

32x in gameshark case needed to run some games
Last edited by Doomed Jedi on Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:29 pm

That's pretty awsome dude :lol: you can make your own thread by clicking new topic at the top of the forum though.
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:45 pm

Wow, a Halo 3 edition XBOX 360! Awesome! Oh yeah that Saturn CD thingy is pretty cool too. :lol:

77punk

Post by 77punk » Thu May 14, 2009 10:15 am

please post guts pictures of that Sega CD in a saturn case.. :shock:

DK

Post by DK » Thu May 14, 2009 11:19 am

Fraid it was proved to be fake. He's just running a Sega CD emulator on his tele. Can even see the FPS on the screen.