Stephen0205 - first project - playstation 1 :)

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Re: Stephen0205 - first project - playstation 1 :)

Post by bacteria » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:51 am

I seriously doubt 2-3 weeks is likely, more like 2 months. I couldn't make my own system in 2-3 weeks and I know what I am doing! :D It needs a lot of work and attention to ensure everything fits, looks nice and works; especially in cutting the holes properly and spraypainting properly when done - rush this and the case will look crap. No rush, take your time - if you rush, the result will look poor and the system probably won't work! :D

Jon

Post by Jon » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:14 pm

You can definitely have something wired together and functioning in 2-3 weeks, but the final filling, sanding, painting process can take a very long time. Especially if you're new to those fields, one screw up can mean starting over in those steps. In instrument building, some consider it a halfway point when you have the instrument itself built. Some finishes can take as long as 25-30 hours of fine detail work to get leveled and looking at it's finest.

But don't let that discourage you. Having a nice looking hand-built portable definitely has bragging rights, there aren't many out there and it's easy to cut corners. :wink:

stephen0205

Post by stephen0205 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:42 pm

well i appreciate the advice, ok maybe i was being a little silly , it will take........ as long as it ill take. I do want it to look as good as johns.

Anyhow a little update, things are going slow but moving they are.

Today i recieved the kit from bacteria, i did a video for it, but my gf cant hold a camera straigh, so im not gonna upload it, have a look at the kit.

Last edited by stephen0205 on Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sonic4freedom
Portablizer

Post by sonic4freedom » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:26 pm

:shock: WOW! that kits looks good! and professionally done! good job Master Bacteria :D :wink:
ShockSlayer wrote:Jarate ftw. Shards of glass in your eyes, piss all over you, and someone is about to kill you. What a way to die.
SS I miss your old Profile Pictures :lol:
-----------------
The Rising Portablizer

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:06 pm

Thanks. I made pics and details on my site of precisely what is included, that way there is no confusion as to what is received. BTW Steve, I also included for free a spare speaker for you as you damaged one of yours before!

I am taking a lot of personal pride in this, I really hope all works out fine for Steve and he ends up with a fantastic portable - I will offer any advice/assistance I can, just ask. Good luck!

stephen0205

Post by stephen0205 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:44 pm

thanks bacteria, well the case is just awesome, feels real good in the hand, light but all the components will obv fix that.

And yeah thanks for the speaker, its much appreciated, really, thank u, u have been such a good help so far, and i appreciate all that u do for me, i like this community, even to a noob like me everyone is helpful.

Its easy to learn when everyone gives u advice.

stephen0205

Post by stephen0205 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:36 pm

ok guys a little and i mean little update for u, i have been real busy with college lately so not much time as i have been real hard at work with that.

So anyhow for the little update, i took the case down to my kitchen (i have no where else to work really)

Got out the dremel and began cutting /sanding down the plastic to above the red line, like instructed to do.

Took its sweet ass time, the hardest part was probably the back part, as the lines were straight underneath where the plastic had curled.

Anyhow some little pics for u to see my bad cutting work, should all be ok tho ;) i hope :)

The front:

And now the back:

chipped it slightly

some of it closed (Well kind of, little more sanding, or find something to fit the space (some sort of rubber maybe mmmmmm....)

enjoy

DK

Post by DK » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:10 pm

Hehe, I now have your address so I can steal your portable when it's finished :lol:

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

Wow, that looks sweet. I want an IntoPlay kit!*

*actually, I would put an N64 inside and call it the Into64 or something

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:55 pm

Coming on nicely. To get the two pieces to lay flat you need to use a sheet of fine/medium sandpaper and using even pressure, gently rub the case over the sandpaper to get a even and flat surface. I put on the paper (in pic) to end up with your finished surface above the line, at least 21mm tall, preferably 22-23mm tall. Any less that 21mm and you will be pushing it! When putting in the memory card into the case base, position it lower than I did (I rested the memory card on two plastic beads - don't do that, make it lower in case).

As mentioned also in my guide, the two case halves close very well, but expect to do some light sanding when done, and both halves are closed and screwed in place, to get the two halves to close quite seamlessly. Naturally, if you oversand one case half and undersand the other, the two halves cannot meet perfectly as the surfaces are curved, and designed to meet just above the lines marked on the case blanks.

As I PM'd stephen0205, the enamel paint I used to cover the joystick caps started to lift after an hour or so's play; so replacing them, removing the joystick cap surround and using cloth in its place and also making the shoulder buttons far better secured in place. I should have done that before, instead of doing what I did. Whilst the system was being worked on, I also swapped the select and start buttons over so they are right now. I also removed the d-pad unit and got the "up" working now (only control not working before). Because I used some thicker screws in the perspex to secure the two halves together, I damaged the perspex, so need to repair it. Everything holds together fine, but I want it perfect!

Got the first joystick and shoulder button replaced, will do other, and the perspex repair, tomorrow and will update my thread when done; along with this better method.

I have spent time getting my custom project room completed, will upload pics of it in "show your workstation" thread in Forum 42 in the next days too.

Decided, after playing some more Red Alert 3, to do that "cyborg" project I started November and get that done, then do an N64 in my system case - as mentioned before, XCVG, I will call mine "iNto64" - taking the "N" with the Nintendo "N" and "64" too - so if you want to make one, don't use my naming system please! :roll: After that I might try and make an N64 system virtually the same size as the PSone screen itself - probably call it "N64Cube" - you will see why...

Got my Turbo Grafx today with a couple of games, not tried it yet. Board is about 2.5 times the size of my case, but I intend to see if I can do a lot of relocating parts and board trimming and rewiring to make it small. I don't think anyone else has made a small Turbo Grafx portable yet? (BTW - which forum here will the WIP go into - it is a dual 8 bit system hence considered as 16 bit system). I also want to make a Retro Duo into my system; etc - lots of lovely project work to do in the next months!

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:19 pm

Red Alert 3, I love that game! Too bad it's barely playable due to glitches.

I can explain said glitches. It's some sort of compatibility issue with my lovely Radeon HD 4670 videocard and my kludgy POS ASRock 775DUAL-VSTA motherboard. That model has a history of issues with ATI videocards. Anything that uses DirectX is glitched, but OpenGL seems to be fine. The glitches are absolutely horrible in RA3, less so in Source games but CS Source is a weird exception. It's really glitchy.

The glitches are hard to describe, I'll post some pics soon.

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:06 am

I'm not getting any glitches. Playing on a dual core, 3Gz; dual Nvidia 7900GTX SLI card; 1900x1200 - works fine but obviously under stress! Good game, rather complex; far more going on than in previous C&C games.

Hoping all goes well in stephen0205's project, closely monitoring progress and on hand to offer advice as/when needed. Some guy in the USA, who saw my work via YouTube should receive my kit in about a fortnight, he says he will start a thread here too when he and his father starts the project; time will tell - hope he does, it will be interesting to see how that project differs to this one, if at all! :D

stephen0205

Post by stephen0205 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:47 pm

some good gfx cards u have there, i used to own the 7950gtx and it was a beast, now my new lappy has an 8800gts, i have been playing crysis warhead, class game :)

I should have more updates soon, and yeah i noticed sanding the case makes it more flat, its like a balancing act with the 2 halves, either way it will go together, if it dosent ill have a little gap.

In which case, i guess ill need to find some way to fix that.

But lets worry about that bridge when i get to it ;)

the case is pretty sturdy, i mean feels real good, u always know with plastic, mean this isnt that thick, but oh my its pretty strong.

Oh ....... u can try come steal my portable, maybe some blood over the case would make a good paint job when i beat u with it (kidding, id shoot u :lol: )

mmmm that was a silly move tho, didnt think when uploading the pics

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:48 pm

It is the situation of only doing a couple of gentle sand movements, then comparing the two case halves together, you then end up with the two halves meeting nicely.

I ended up with a slight gap because I made the backing case too slim (by 2mm), and because the perspex holding the screw areas had weakened due to me trying screws a while back that were a little too thick (crack!); however the case halves are sealed shut and secure (which is what is important after all) - the gap - around 1-2mm - concealed with cut out thin strips of electrical tape; covers it nicely, and looks like a nice design feature - the gap is hidden (you can use that idea too if you need to)!

I won't make that mistake again with my next projects. My next ones won't need to adopt the tape, although I might use it anyway as it looks sweet! :D

Anyway, played through the tutorial mode (level 1) on the Bugs Bunny game entirely; system feels really nice to use.

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:56 pm

The 4670 is really powerful for $100.

More relatedly how much would a case-only IntoPlay be?