Please Help - Wanna Make A Portable Dreamcast

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

darkcloud990
Please Help - Wanna Make A Portable Dreamcast

Post by darkcloud990 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:48 pm

Hey I'm new to this but don't get me wrong I've got some pretty good skills and somebody who's even better then me to help so yea. I have looked all around here and can't find a how-to so yea. I would like to get this right on the first try :lol: I don't got anything and won't for awhile but if you people can please help me then I would thank you so much. Anyways some of the things I would like to know first of all is what I'll need and how much $. Next How to make the case. and then finally 2 things left 1. How to put it together and 2.anything else that needs to be said. So please Help me If possible I just can't wait to start playing shenmue portable.

Also Where to get the things I need. :lol:

sonic4freedom
Portablizer

Post by sonic4freedom » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:14 am

Hi iam sonic, i built my first portable not to long ago, and it was a dreamcast 8) iam am currently building a second one. i got my help from Master Bacteria, so i would be happy to apply what i learned to help you :D

okay first where do you live? the US? if so good. if you want equipment for a REAL good price. Amazon.com i use that site to get EVERYTHING i use, except for batteries (they don't have the ones i need).
so here's the List and pricing(based on amazon.com)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sega Dreamcast console-$27.75 (+$3.99 S&H)

link for the list of consoles: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... ition=used
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quantom FighterPad-$2.99 (+$3.95 S&H)

link for the list of controllers: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... 445&sr=1-1

(you will need this controller because the controller board is already split apart, so you dont have to risk destroying the controller board cutting it up) :D
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Okay here the screen part(the 1st hard part) you can select 3 different screens, all with there advantages and disadvantages so i'll list them all:

Gamecube Gaming Screen-$39.99 (+$3.99 S&H)* this is the cheapest, newest, and last one from this seller!! BUY NOW!!

link for list of GC screens: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... 24&sr=1-10

Advantages: you don't have to solder or "HACK" to get the screen connected to the console, just connect the Red, yellow, and white connectors and your system is connected, and it's universal, allowing any console to hookup with it. the picture and sound are great, and you can relocate the speakers and controls.

Disadvantages: the only couple of bad things are the battery requirements, i learned this the hard way. the screen has an input of 12v so the minimum it needs is at least 10.8v, so your gonna have to find a battery that might be a bit expensive (depending on type like Li-ion, or Ni-HM) and the screens motherboard can get in the way sometimes, so your portable could be a bit wide, all-in-all it is a good screen to start with.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Madcatz Gamecube screen- $49.99 (+$5.99 S&H)

link for screen listing: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... 354&sr=8-1
* don't worry about no image, i ordered one and got it now*

Advantages: same as the First screen, it is universal, so no need to do the extremes, and the screen mother board is practically not there! it is too skinny to be a problem

Disadvantages: same as the first screen, power consumption, and its a bit bigger than the first screen.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PsOne Screen: $59.95 (+$3.99 S&H)

link for screen:http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... ition=used

Advantages: this is a very beneficial screen, it may be a bit pricey, BUT your battery wont be :wink: this screens minimum input is about 6.5v-7v, and thats Great you can buy a battery that has this Voltage for cheap!! :D

disadvantage: you gotta "hack" the Video input. seeing how this isn't universal( only for the Ps1) you gotta hack the input of video and i never done that, so i see it as a bad point. there is a wiring diagram for this at www.Modded-by-Bacteria.com so go sign-up and check it out.

thats it for main componnents (sigh of relief :o ) now you need tools. class is about to end so i gotta go, i will finish the tool list later today. any questions? go to Modded-by-bacteria-.com and ask master bacteria, he is VERY responsive and will answer all of your questions. OH! by he way, shenmue rocks!! i have shenmue 1 for dreamcast and shenmue 2 for xbox (getting it for dreamcast as well) be back soon, and i hoped i helped.
and for the better modders, if i made any mistakes please correct me, he needs accurate information, peace 8)
ShockSlayer wrote:Jarate ftw. Shards of glass in your eyes, piss all over you, and someone is about to kill you. What a way to die.
SS I miss your old Profile Pictures :lol:
-----------------
The Rising Portablizer

darkcloud990

Post by darkcloud990 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:00 pm

Thank you that help a lot so far :D can't wait for the rest :D Also is that controller just as good,the same or what not? I've got case idea's but I wanna hear from you. Also I live in Canada but that shouldn't be a problem 8)

Also I've got some ideas maybe posting some pics of theme but for now here they are - VMU support, Rumble support, charging port, headphone jack, and yea that's good

sonic4freedom
Portablizer

Post by sonic4freedom » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:23 pm

Iam glad i could help :) (don't have enough time so lets get started :D
*and yes the controller is just as good as the regular ones :wink: *

tools: you will need certain things to get the job done!

Soldering Iron (VERY IMPORTANT), now at first i was ignorant so i went with the ColdHeat soldering tool....THAT IS A NO-NO :x it is not powerful enough to get the job done so don't get it, besides the batteries die in like 20 mins, so it will cost more just replacing the batteries. RadioShack sells 60Watt soldering iron kits (comes with soldering iron, solder, stand, double headed prying tool) they sell at radio shack for about $7.00
or go to amazon here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/WILMAR-W2013-PENC ... 11&sr=8-13
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
you can buy solder at amazon to for about $4.00 (+$6.45 S&H)

Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=new
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
now a very important tool (on the same level as the soldering iron) is a dremel! now, i don't have one! i have a dremel-like tool from Black and Decker, cheaper and you can adjust the RPM(Rotation per Minute) it works just like a dremel and same quality , it also takes dremel heads and accessories!! :D

Black and Decker Wizard: $29.99 (+$4.99 S&H)
-the dremel costs about $50-$60 dollars
here is the link for the wizard(scroll down on the link page for the 29.99 price from target):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=new

this tool helps, cut and make holes for the controller port or any other port and if your making a case out of an old container (or frankeincasing) this tool will get the job done! beleive me :wink:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Next is a digital power multi meter, this will test power voltage from batteries you may have or order. this one is small, compact and cheap( for those tight budgets out there(LIKE MINE!! :evil: !))

Digital Multimeter link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... 190&sr=1-2
okay now whats next...okay were done with the equipment and almost at the Building Proccess( i'll walk you through it,like master bacteria done me) just a few , teeny, tiny MAJOR things

you need a step-down regulator, a 10v 100uf capactitor, and a resistor lets get crackin'

Now most of the components can be easily bought a RadioShack for $0.99 each. but if radioshack isn't possible, then on to amazon!!!

Step-down regulator is the only one you can get for free :D , it's no trick no gimmick, just listen and follow these specific instructions:

-go to www.TI.com

-then follow this link:
http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/p ... 8000w.html
(scroll down to add free samples to the cart)
you can only get one sample of anything, ONE!, so if you want to order another another one, then you gotta make another account (with a different E-mail address)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10v 100uf Capacitor: $0.13 (+$3.99 S&H)
Link:

http://www.amazon.com/100uF-10V-Mini-Ra ... 587&sr=8-2

while the actual capacitor is cheap, the S&H (shipping and handling) is way over priced for something that weighs less than a spitball, so i suggest RadioShacks 99 cent ones (no S&H inside a store 8) )
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last but not least the resistor: $0.55 (+$3.99 S&H)

2k resistor link:

http://www.amazon.com/2-2K-Ohm-Flamepro ... 860&sr=1-4

once again, too pricey for a light weight item, i would go to radioshack and get one for a flat price of .99 cents
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i think i covered it all....yep just about all of it except for wires (which shouldn't be to hard to find)

well when your ready i will take you through the build steps, hope i helped :wink: , got any questions? PM me or (which i prefer) e-mail me ( i check e-mails more :) ) or contact master bacteria at his websit www.modded-by-bacteria.com keep me posted, chiao

*EDIT*
by the way did you check out my DC portable, it's really ugly but never-the-less portable here is the link:

http://modded-by-bacteria.com/forum/vie ... p?f=3&t=20
ShockSlayer wrote:Jarate ftw. Shards of glass in your eyes, piss all over you, and someone is about to kill you. What a way to die.
-----------------
The Rising Portablizer

darkcloud990

Post by darkcloud990 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:27 pm

Hey well I haven't got the money for this project yet but trust me i will sooner or later if you know what I mean Anyways... I was wondering if you could still just post the rest of the how to you know like how to build :D besides gives me time to look it over in the meantime right XD...

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:48 pm

Nobody will post a how-to, they are all too different, and tutorials are hard to make.

That post he made was probably far better than I would have expected anyone to go, and that is the best you will get.

Search the forum, read the stickys, look at the screen and case construction sections; Only then will you gain the skillz needed to make a DC portable.

Excellent

darkcloud990

Post by darkcloud990 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:21 pm

Thank you for the help but I still have faith in this guy lmao anyways i'll do that in the meantime while I wait but all I need is something to go by you know cuz i'll probly end up ripping everything apart saying oh hell yea prepair to meet your maker... theen sit there with the same pieces I ripped apart in the first place so yea well I gotta get some sleep but i'll be on tommorow and trust me i won't give up I WILL PLAY SHENMUE PORTABLY!!!

P.S. Did you know that shenmue online is not declaired cancled... just "in development" :D jump for joy!!!

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:57 am

I am sorry, but could you please try to type betteer? It is very hard to understand what you are saying the way it is.
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

sonic4freedom
Portablizer

Post by sonic4freedom » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:13 am

don't worry i will give you a build instruction (it will be basically how to build the portable with out a cast(thats your decision on what case to put it in)), it won't be big, it only took me 3-5 days to build mine, and i will tell you how i did it, Palmertech iam not undermining you or you authority, really iam not :( i just like helping. this is the first person i get to help and i want to help to the fullest of my ability, and TheMadHacker iam sorry it's hard to read, i will clean it up soon :wink:
-----------------
The Rising Portablizer

darkcloud990

Post by darkcloud990 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:12 am

Hey i'm back and i'm glad to hear from sonic4freedom now I think sonic's got the idea now of what I ment :D I have case ideas on paper i'll try to take pics of them and post later anyways happy to know i'm not alone. I just hooked up my dad's dreamcast so I could play it and the first game i'm gunna play is shenmue. Also I was wondering shenmue 1 was english on dc but shenmue 2 wasn't??? is the an english version of 2 for dc or just for xbox :?

EDIT:I just took pics of my case plan but there on my hard drive can someone please tell me how to post theme cuz this is messed :([/list]

hy phrend

Post by hy phrend » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:54 am

Also read Family guys post on his DCP build. Helped me a lot to build mine. Also pin outs can be found for the video hook ups with a simple google search. If there are any questions you have feel free to PM me and ask and I will try and answer them or point you in the right direction.
DCP---Done

darkcloud990

Post by darkcloud990 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:56 am

thank you for your post I do have a question how do I post pics from my harddrive here? :?

hy phrend

Post by hy phrend » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:10 pm

Upload to a website such as photobucket. They should give you a link that says for forums and such or websites and you should be able to use that just copy and paste and put it in your post.
DCP---Done

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:30 pm

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Post by Basement_Modder » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:39 pm

hy phrend wrote:Upload to a website such as photobucket. They should give you a link that says for forums and such or websites and you should be able to use that just copy and paste and put it in your post.
The way to get full-size pics is to use imageshack, upload + resize to 15 or 17 inch screen, click the little “i” icon by th image and copy/paste the “direct link” url, that way you‘ll get big pictures.
Cheers,
Basement_Modder