desoldering the cartridge connector

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

chronomitch
desoldering the cartridge connector

Post by chronomitch » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:50 pm

Hi. I'm trying to remove the cartridge connector from an SNES mini motherboard, but I'm running into some problems. I removed as much solder as I could from the pins on the bottom of the board using a solder sucker. When I try to remove the connector from the board, the pins are staying connected to the board (the pins are separating from the connector).

How should I proceed from here? Is it worth it to separate the connector from the pins completely and reconnect the pins afterward?

vomitsaw

Re: desoldering the cartridge connector

Post by vomitsaw » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:01 pm

chronomitch wrote:Hi. I'm trying to remove the cartridge connector from an SNES mini motherboard, but I'm running into some problems. I removed as much solder as I could from the pins on the bottom of the board using a solder sucker. When I try to remove the connector from the board, the pins are staying connected to the board (the pins are separating from the connector).

How should I proceed from here? Is it worth it to separate the connector from the pins completely and reconnect the pins afterward?
I'd highly suggest against doing that. You're doing to have an awful hard time reinserting those pins, trust me. Do you have any solder braid? I'd try using the solder braid to absord up any last bit of solder around the pins that might be holding it into place. But yeah, I know from experience that removing SNES connectors is the exact opposite of fun.

vb_master

Re: desoldering the cartridge connector

Post by vb_master » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:53 pm

vomitsaw wrote:Do you have any solder braid?
Solder braid is very effective in removing solder from joints in these types of situations. However, I like to "refresh" the solder by heating up each joint, and adding some more. It seems to make the solder flow a little bit better that way.

Good luck with your cartridge removal, otherwise.

tysonDS

Post by tysonDS » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:55 pm

Solder braid is the way to go.

The braid seems like it even attracts the solder.

Normally, I just lie a long strip along all the pins, and run the soldering iron up and down the strip, all the solder will be gone within seconds.
I am a case modder trying to be a portablizer. Will get there one day. :)

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:10 pm

A heat gun is the easiest way.

Heat up all the pins at once and the connector pulls right off :)
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

tysonDS

Post by tysonDS » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:38 pm

^ haha, I'm poor. I wish I could afford a heat gun, maybe if I didn't break so many consoles. :lol:
I am a case modder trying to be a portablizer. Will get there one day. :)

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:01 pm

tysonDS wrote:The braid seems like it even attracts the solder.
that's because it has powder flux on it
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:15 am

well, the easiest way is either using a heat gun, or getting a second cart slot and just breaking the original one in the process of removing it. I can sell you a SNES cart slot, if you want, I have a couple.

chronomitch

Post by chronomitch » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:25 am

Kyo wrote:well, the easiest way is either using a heat gun, or getting a second cart slot and just breaking the original one in the process of removing it. I can sell you a SNES cart slot, if you want, I have a couple.
Thanks for the info everyone. As for cartridge slots, I have an extra one that I might use.

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:39 am

Well there you go