Umm...Hardware modding

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64
Umm...Hardware modding

Post by ShockSlayer » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:05 pm

Right, so I'll be buying a psone (big one) this weekend. How can I mod it to play homebrew? I heard of a hotswapping method, but I'd rather short something out or find a modchip or something I can do to make it useful to me, as I have no games.

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:52 pm

The PSone is the small version, the PS1 was the original one (you refer to).

Games are so cheap now, I bought most of mine for about £1 each at car boot sales, or about £3-£5 on e-bay. Does it really warrant not buying original games for this price??

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:14 am

The modchip is simple for a PS1 :

edit by admin: NO modchip links. -bic

@Bacteria .... Once again I'll ask. Why would anyone suggest that buying used games for a system out of production is better than d-loading and burning ?

I haven't got a reasonable answer to this yet.

Should I be supporting re-sellers? Heck even the original developers do not like re-sellers because they don't get a penny from the sales.

And re-sellers aren't trying to help the game industry , they are just trying to make a buck off people.

If you want to support the developers/manufacturers then we should be suggesting that people only d-load PS1 games to their PSP or PS3. Or only d-load games off the Xbox360 Live or Wii Channels. Because that's the ONLY way the original Developer will see a penny from us.

And please NO FLAMING !!! I am just asking for a reasonable answer because it really doesn't make sense to me.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

APHawkes

Post by APHawkes » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:55 am

Sorry, have to interject here....
Why would anyone suggest that buying used games for a system out of production is better than d-loading and burning ?
Because that's illegal? By downloading and burning, that pretty much confirms that you're not making a "backup copy." There's not fair use in this case. It's stealing, in the truest sense of the word. What you consider "reasonable" isn't really that important, is it?

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:14 am

APHawkes wrote:Sorry, have to interject here....
Why would anyone suggest that buying used games for a system out of production is better than d-loading and burning ?
Because that's illegal? By downloading and burning, that pretty much confirms that you're not making a "backup copy." There's not fair use in this case. It's stealing, in the truest sense of the word. What you consider "reasonable" isn't really that important, is it?
Yes but I'm not talking about "legality". I'm talking about what helps/hurts developers. More like the "morality" of it so to speak.

And if you want to get technical. d-loading even if you own the original is illegal and so is circumventing the copywrite disc protection and making a "back-up" :wink:

And I have had almost every game for every system in my collection at one time. So I have bought/owned almost every possible game I could d-load. And I'm not exaggerating here, just ask my exasperated wife :)
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:42 am

hailrazer - Nothing to do with legality or whatever. If you have an original game:

* Saves trowling the internet for "backup" downloads.
* These days companies take "an interest" in downloaders, these are old games so may not be of consequence, but not worth risk. Sony and others still have copyrights after all. You can also get malware or trojans with such downloads also, if you are really unlucky.
* Saves downloading, preparing files, copying to CD, and the time it takes.
* With an original game you get a flashy genuine disk and graphics with pretty box, original artwork and an instruction booklet for the game. Looks nice on your shelf too.

I spent £11 on Blasto yesterday off e-bay as it is rare and I haven't seen it at car boot sales, spent about £5 each for Medievil 1 and also Medievil 2; however all the other PlayStation games I bought I got at car boot sales, for 50p / 75p / £1 each (about 70c - $1.50). I have nearly 200 PlayStation games in my collection at the moment.

I am not getting the original games for legality reasons (BTW, got a few GameCube games for £3 and £5 each); but at these prices it is daft not to. BTW - Last night I bought an NTSC PSone, NTSC PSone screen, 2 controllers, NTSC games and memory card for £32 delivered (about $50) off e-bay. :D

The only time a distributer, author, etc get royalties is on the original purchase not via ebay sellers or whatever, which is the point you have. My point is that you can spend ages downloading a game, burning to disk (CD probably costs about 25c or thereabouts) - for treble this you get the real deal!! :wink:

I object to paying £35+ for a game (used to), now I buy almost all my games at a tiny fraction of this. If the software sold really cheap from new they would earn money from me; as it is, I wait to buy it at throwaway prices. This includes PC games too.

Some games you need to pay a bit more for (eg the ones mentioned above), eg I wanted Spot for the NES (had to be NTSC, so play on my Retro Duo when it comes) at £6.50, and £6 or thereabouts for Yoshi's Cookie (NTSC, SNES); and looking to get Super Mario RPG on the SNES which will cost about £12, but these are exceptions to the rule!

hailrazer, once again you misinterpret my motives (sigh). :wink: :D

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:18 pm

bacteria wrote:
hailrazer, once again you misinterpret my motives (sigh). :wink: :D
On no nothing like that at all. I wasn't really directing any hostility at you.

I was just wondering what others thought. And I was wanting some honest feedback :)

And I understand your points believe me. I have spent well over $50,000 on my collection over the years. I just don't get why we should let the old games die by refusing to d-load and play them. After all the carts and cd's won't last forever and then who gets to play these games ? :wink:

*edit* I'm talking about games not in production any longer, not those currently being produced.
My Portable Systems:

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:44 pm

$50,000 - Holy Crap, Batman! Image

BoomBox-Creations

Post by BoomBox-Creations » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:30 pm

those being produced are a different story, we still should pay for them, to support the developers that is....

but like old PS1 games, download or buy the disc at a garage sale or something....

simply because they aernt really made any more ( if you know a shop other than ebay, i wanna know about it )and the developer will make very very little out of it if not none out of selling their games.....

but still, for shockslayer, id probably get a chip called the 'One Chip' lets you play copied games that you have downloaded off the net or a backup of the disc on a PS1...

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:33 pm

you must be rich to have paid $50,000 for a game collection.
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:42 pm

Bet he isn't anymore! :lol: :lol:

HBN

Post by HBN » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:53 pm

Downloading games doesn't work with my situation. As most of you should know by now, I have satellite internet. I can't download to much or we exceed our (un)Fair Access Policy. No fun.
Please keep an eye on my HBN64 progress.
HBN-Style Anti-Noise Headphones.

Moderatio Est Figmentum.
Long live the Queen of Bondo!

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:39 pm

Keep in mind that $50,000 has been over a 10-12 year period.

I buy EVERY system at launch, usually two of them. And controllers and games for each system.

And for a while I had an almost complete Nes, Snes, N64 , PS1 Genesis collection.

Plus I had most of the rare and hard to find games for almost all systems.

I have sincewhittled it way down, but I still have to much.
My Portable Systems:

Neildo_64
Portablizer

Post by Neildo_64 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:12 pm

hailrazer wrote:I have sincewhittled it way down, but I still have to much.
I can help with that problem. I'll give you my address. :lol:
Current projects:
Ultimate N64 Guide
N64 Portable (x2)
NES Portable

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:53 pm

Yeah, I'd certainly like to know more about this console...I just bought one and a gamecube screen for $60! :D

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;