Gathering info for first project

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

sdrake
Gathering info for first project

Post by sdrake » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:08 am

well since i saw bens 360 laptop ive been browsing here quiet awhile just never joined in until now.

not wanting to jump headfirst into a very hard project like the 360 laptop (which i eventually want) i decided to start looking for consoles i had 2 of.

last night i stumbled upon a spare n64 i had stowed away at my parents house.

best part is it still works great...

so since im eventually wanting a 360 laptop i figure why not make a 64 laptop first. since im new i know this isnt going to be easy but ive working with solder and computers for awhile now (im an is technician).

i plan on using wall power and 2 controller ports on front, pretty much just system with screen. (something to do on my lunch break / while at work)
i understand that the case/ enclosure is going to be the hardest part, which is actually what i worry about the most.

anyone got any tips? or anything i should look out for. i plan to start doing this in the next few weeks, so look for my plog (project log)

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:24 pm

I got a good tip: Save your self a lot ofeffort, just buy a psone screen and the wire it to the n64 without hacking it. Then connect the cords to have one plau for the wole thing. Best part: You didnt waste any effotrt or time for something that wasnt worth it.

N64s =/= laptop material. Its been done, but could have been more practical this way. You'll find all the info you need to make a plug so you can connect the screen to the console.

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

collinE

Post by collinE » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:06 pm

welcome!

Sounds like a fun idea. SS is right. If you just want to get the basics of wiring different parts up, then why bother making a new case? seems like an easy way to start out.

Making a new case wouldn't be too difficult, though. Especially since you can do it simply with two flat boxes and cut holes for ports and the screen. and doesn't sound like you want to cut up a controller for it either. It would be super thin and a piece of cake. The only thing to really think about it where you would want the cart slot.

Are you planning to do it off of wall power? If yes, then you won't even need to do the LED mod on the screen.

Noobitizer

Post by Noobitizer » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:59 pm

Is there an easy diagram for LED modding like the zenith xbox screen which is basically exactly the same as the psone screen because i am completely lost on how to do it.

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:05 pm

Noobitizer wrote:Is there an easy diagram for LED modding like the zenith xbox screen which is basically exactly the same as the psone screen because i am completely lost on how to do it.
It's explained in explicit detail in Ben's book, or you could have looked it up in the Portable Screen Hacking section of the forums. I believe this is what you're looking for.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

sdrake

Post by sdrake » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:12 am

well im kinda wanting a bigger screen then the psone screen.

i have a background for hacking lcd's (note *** diy projector***) so im comfortable doing that.

my only real issue is the rca to vga, and of course the case.

ill try to make a quick draw up of what im wanting.

Noobitizer

Post by Noobitizer » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:43 am

Wow thats really good info on how to do it. Thanks Life Of Brian!

64M320N3

Re: Gathering info for first project

Post by 64M320N3 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:35 am

I wouldn't start out making a portable 64 as it is harder than most...
significantly easier than the 360 for sure, but it doesn't even sound like you're really making a portable, either.
I'd recommend if you want bigger than a psone screen (5") than you could use a digital picture frame with an av input like 7" big or so.
Making stuff with my new beautiful CNC machine!
Would you like a professional looking custom case for your portable? I may be able to help you. Check out this link:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32724

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:13 pm

No offense "64M320N3" but have you ever actually /made/ a portable?

People have been saying that the n64 is harder for a while around here, but it really doesnt have to be that hard, if you are willing to sacrifice a bit of space. Maybe you'll break one or two, but they literally cost $5 nowadays.

At least you have been reading old posts. :wink:

I personally think the 64 is a great project to work on, Its a fine piece of hardware, its very clean and simple and has no moving parts.

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:22 pm

timmeh87 wrote:No offense "64M320N3" but have you ever actually /made/ a portable?

People have been saying that the n64 is harder for a while around here, but it really doesnt have to be that hard, if you are willing to sacrifice a bit of space. Maybe you'll break one or two, but they literally cost $5 nowadays.

At least you have been reading old posts. :wink:

I personally think the 64 is a great project to work on, Its a fine piece of hardware, its very clean and simple and has no moving parts.
I havent fried one in a long time. You know why? Simple. So many get ried because so many noobs make so many mistakes.

If you act smart, and dont rush, or do a slack "testing" job, then you'll do fine!

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

collinE

Post by collinE » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:07 pm

and then there's me who took the mobo out of the case, fiddled with it on my carpet, tossed it onto my couch a couple of times, stored it in a box, and then read about 64's being easy to fry.

plugged it in, and it booted up fine. lucky!

sdrake

Post by sdrake » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:18 am

in all honesty im not afraid of frying the board. i mean ive had my used once a week 64 up and running since it first came out and its been taken here in there, beat around in my car such and such.

i believe the real weakness in the 64 isnt the board itself, or its stability, its the user and the knowledge they have for the board. ive seen all kinds of portable 64's around, and the people who made them did some rather extensive things (more than whats needed for mine).

mines actually rather simple, its essentially just a case mod, with the cart adapter relocation. the power and controller ports are all staying the same, its just going to be in laptop form.

now i need to figure out how to get rca to vga and im all set. my plan is to use a 15- 17 inch lcd (computer monitor) panel which i have 3-4 of. like stated ive torn apart lcd's before, and am actually comfortable doing so.

just a few more things i need to gather info on and im all set.

Sharp Sapphire
Portablizer

Post by Sharp Sapphire » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:21 pm

sdrake wrote:in all honesty im not afraid of frying the board. i mean ive had my used once a week 64 up and running since it first came out and its been taken here in there, beat around in my car such and such.

i believe the real weakness in the 64 isnt the board itself, or its stability, its the user and the knowledge they have for the board. ive seen all kinds of portable 64's around, and the people who made them did some rather extensive things (more than whats needed for mine).

mines actually rather simple, its essentially just a case mod, with the cart adapter relocation. the power and controller ports are all staying the same, its just going to be in laptop form.

now i need to figure out how to get rca to vga and im all set. my plan is to use a 15- 17 inch lcd (computer monitor) panel which i have 3-4 of. like stated ive torn apart lcd's before, and am actually comfortable doing so.

just a few more things i need to gather info on and im all set.
Oh boy.
Things I need to purchase for my NES Laptop:
1X PSone screen
6X 1.2v 3500mAh sub-C's
1X 1/8'' to RCA stereo Adapater
1X Radioshack repair kit

..yeaaaaah...

Noobitizer

Post by Noobitizer » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:37 pm

When I first came to this site I wanted to do an N64 portable and then got scared because I heard they fry easy :shock: but I was persistent and havent fried anything( except my screen because I wired the power to it wrong, new one and stronger battery in the mail and almost here). all it takes is patience, a little help from the pros here :wink: and a steady hand.

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:50 pm

Sharp Sapphire wrote:
Oh boy.
hahaha

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"