Gutting a Nomad

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

second.exodous
Gutting a Nomad

Post by second.exodous » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:00 pm

I have an old Nomad that has been broken for years, and the screen is scratched badly, but the case is in excellent shape. I was thinking of getting one of those Genesis-on-a-chip things and switching the guts out. I haven't gotten it open yet, it has a weird security screw, so I'm looking into that. It looks like the same kind of security screw SNES/NES games have, but the problem is it's sunk way to far in to get it out like a SNES/NES cart.

So, what I want to know is where to get the smallest and easiest to mod Genesis-on-a-chip would be? I went to Walmart and didn't see the Genesis-in-a-controller so I'm guessing they aren't made anymore, so for right now I'm looking for another source. Also, does anyone know if the security screw on the Nomad is the same as the one on the Game Gear? I can find the security screwdriver for the Game Gear but no where seems to say it works for the Nomad.

I can't really make plays beyond these parts until I have it open, but the Nomad is huge. I'd like to put a rechargeable battery that has the charge port on the outside where the DC in used to be. Also, I'd like to put some sort of video/sound out so I can hook it up to a TV. I've sure I can wire the second controller port where it currently is. It has a brightness and volume wheel, I hope I can wire those up to work where they currently are. I think this will be one big PCB, maybe I can just copy it, have all the buttons/wheels/ports in the same place on the new PCB and just hook up the new screen/Genesis-on-a-chip/video out, ect.

Big project I know, but I think the size of the Nomad case will make it a little easier. It has soo much room that I'd like to put another system in it, but I want to keep it Sega, so if there was a mastersystem/GG-on-a-chip anywhere I'd put that in, but I can't find anything about it.

Well, most important thing is the security screw right now, I'll keep looking, but if anyone on here knows that would help.

Oh, has anyone done this before?

ttsgeb
360 GamerTag:ttsgeb
Steam ID:ttsgeb

Post by ttsgeb » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:02 pm

For your problem with the screw, just pry open the case until the well snaps, this screw doesn't actually do much to hold the case together, it just makes it more difficult to open. If you want to remove it later on, you can use pliers. However, I would recommend keeping it because it is used to hold your start and mode buttons in place, both of which can be of use in your project.

While you may think you have plenty of room in the case though, a lot is taken up by the button assemblies, which I assume you would leave intact. Also, because you will have to get a new screen, the electronics for that will also take up a considerable amount of space (Your standard 5'' ps1 screen doesn't quite fit in a Nomad case, so you're going to have to go for something bulkier and more expensive)

If you aren't afraid of drilling holes, the av jacks won't be a problem, but if you are, you can place a composite phono jack where the DIN-9 connection was and find a 1/8th headphone jack to phono adapter

as for the system, just look around on the forums, there have been several GOACs with cart slots already added reviewed in the past few months.

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:13 am

ttsgeb wrote:However, I would recommend keeping it because it is used to hold your start and mode buttons in place, both of which can be of use in your project.
Untrue. I ripped mine out with the snapping method (this is my other broken sega nomad, #1 works fine) and the start and mode buttons are as firm and in place as ever.

Ace_1

Post by Ace_1 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:21 pm

I recommend 3 units:

Radica TV Games Genesis
GN Twin
Gen-X

The Radica TV Games Genesis has a smaller board, but has no cartridge slot. The opposite is true for the GN Twin because of the motherboard layout(NES before Genesis). The Gen-X has the board ordered like this: Genesis before NES. Separating the Genesis board from the NES board isn't much of a problem. The only issue is that with a GN Twin/Gen-X, you have to gut one of its controllers, as they're not standard Genesis controllers, but modified NES controllers(!). Those have bigger boards than a Radica TV Games Genesis, but have better compatibility(GN Twin having the best, with Four-Mega Master System games fully functional, albeit with an unresponsive D-pad due to the altered controller signals and some graphical errors). Those also have cartridge slots already put on their boards.

xantufrog

Re: Gutting a Nomad

Post by xantufrog » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:39 am

Seeing the age of this post I'm sure the deed is done one way or another. But for future reference for people -

You can order the appropriate screwdriver for this stupid security screw off of ebay. But it's kind of silly unless you removed such things often (though that might be the case here).

You can, instead, make your own. What you need is a clear hard-plastic bic pen. You don't want one of the typical white, cylindrical ones, as their plastic won't hold up. You want one of the octagonal (or are they hexagonal? It's not worth checking... you know the ones) clear pens. There are other pens with this hard plastic on the market, feel free to use them, I think they just cost more.

What you do is remove the guts of the pen. Remove the tip which actually writes, and you are left with a circular opening at the tip of the pen body. This opening will become our "screwdriver bit"

Bring your gamegear/nomad/cartridge/etc nearby. Get a lighter (or something else which gets nice and hot), light it, and hold it up against this open tip of the pen case till it looks good and melty (don't hold it too long because if you melt the tip back to the main body of the case the opening will be too big to grip on the screw). When the tip is nice and soft, quickly push the pen as straight and firmly down the hole on the system onto the screw. Hold it there for a little bit, and hold it as still as possible as straight upright as possible (it will be hard to unscrew anything if the "screwdriver" grips when it is at a 30 degree angle).

After you are satisfied the plastic has cooled, pull it out and take a look. You should have a mold which fits nicely around the head of the screw. When it is truly hard, push it against the screw FIRMLY (otherwise you will strip your new tool out in a jiffy) and work the screw loose.

A couple of notes: the tool doesn't last that long. Even the hard plastic strips out quickly. The security screws are typically cinched down in there, so you might have to "remold" your tool before getting one out. Make sure you press it down firmly and turn firmly but with care in order to budge the screw. Throw the damn screw away when you get it out, unless you want to make a new screwdriver every time you need to open your system up.

So why do this? I do not recommend the "pry open breaking the screw mount off" method. I know it can work. But remember the circuit boards are mounted in multiple places to the case. When the case flexes, so do the circuit boards. Opening one of my gamegears with this method broke the LCD screen nicely. If you are just going to throw the guts out I guess it doesn't matter, but if you are just doing some modification or maintenance I think it is not worth the risk. So enjoy your 25 cent japanese video game system screwdriver!

themadhacker

Re: Gutting a Nomad

Post by themadhacker » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:15 am

dude, don't bump old threads. Plus we have a section that explains just about every one of your methods to getting screws out.
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/