Dreamcast portable project.

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Grandmasterjimmy
PSN Username:PeglegJimmy
Dreamcast portable project.

Post by Grandmasterjimmy » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:31 pm

I decided to scrap my Genesis portable for now, because of money reasons. Anyway, I have a spare Dreamcast, which shaves off a lot of money.

I've managed to trim the DC small enough to fit a ZN-45 from poly case. I still need to solder the controller board, and GD-Rom drive, which will be no easy feat as the traces are really close together.

The GD rom board to Motherboard is 50 pins on each, and the things are only a millimeter apart :( Although luckily I may not need to do that. It depends, as a case can be an 1/8 of a inch off from the mesurements on the site. If thats the case the gd rom board can sit in the original connection.

Controller port isn't a big problem, theres only like 25 points on each board, and the traces are like 1/8 of an inch apart.

I'll get a picoPSU thanks to FamilyGuy's portable thread, as the original PSU is freaking huge. That still leaves about 1.8 inches on each side of the mobo for batteries and controller parts. There's still enough room in the mobo area fo rthe picoPSU to fit.

I'll get pictures tommorow to show you the setup I have currently to make the system so small.

Sadly, I'll be getting rid of the controller ports, so no multi-player(No one plays games with me anyway, I have no freinds :cry:). Also the extention port, and TV out ports will be gone to save room.

There's going to be a fan at the top, to keep the CPU from building up to much heat in the system, although the PSU seems to cause %60 of the systems heat, so It shouldn't get hot enough it will fry the system.

And yes, I did take the screen into acount. I'm going to take the PS1 screens case and bondo it to the front so the screens mobo doesn't take up room in the case.

I know, pics or it didn't happen :P I just have to wait for my parents to leave, because I'm not suppost to talk to people on forums, or chat since I could be raped. :lol: