PSone CD drive Q and A please.

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Dr. KillGood
PSone CD drive Q and A please.

Post by Dr. KillGood » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:26 am

So I was thinking about taking a wack at a PSone if I ever get my YOBO NES portable finished, but I do not like the idea of having the CD just spinning in the open air like most CD based portables are.

So can I get a computer CD ROM drive, one of the, ones that sucks the disk in and has no tray, and mod the PSone laser assymbally into it and then use that in the portable?

The CD drive type I am talking about is like on the PS3, it just sucks up the disk somehow, or like in vehicles. I dunno what you would call it.

So can this be done?

PS: Just to clarify, I know I would not be useing the original hardware that is in the CD ROM drive, but I would mod the PSone's CD rom hardware into it.

EDIT: It is called a "slot loading" drive. Still could I get it to work with.

Grandmasterjimmy
PSN Username:PeglegJimmy

Post by Grandmasterjimmy » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:31 am

I never seen the internals of those specific drives, but I modded the parts of a Dreamcast GD-Rom drive into a PS2's dvd drive assembly and it worked. So if they are set up similar inside I would say yes.

Dr. KillGood

Post by Dr. KillGood » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:40 pm

Grandmasterjimmy wrote:I never seen the internals of those specific drives, but I modded the parts of a Dreamcast GD-Rom drive into a PS2's dvd drive assembly and it worked. So if they are set up similar inside I would say yes.
So there is hope. *one tear rolls down face*

Chapel

Post by Chapel » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:29 am

Dr. KillGood wrote:
Grandmasterjimmy wrote:I never seen the internals of those specific drives, but I modded the parts of a Dreamcast GD-Rom drive into a PS2's dvd drive assembly and it worked. So if they are set up similar inside I would say yes.
So there is hope. *one tear rolls down face*
I am not sure about the PSone, but I know that the PS2 had all sorts of catches and safeties on its drive. Back when I used to repair them, the number one fix was simply disassembling and reassembling the drive portion.

So, I am sure it is possible, but it will definitely fight you.

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:55 am

Nice idea, but expect the assembly to be larger.

On the subject though of alternative drive bays for the PSone, can you use any CD drive; eg one from a laptop, as they are slim??

As my project matures, I will be doing a PSone (after the N64 and after the SNES), so interested in such things. Just came back from car booting again today, bought 35 PSone games from various sellers for a total of about £20 ($40) - I have 78 PSone games now, so looking forward to playing them!!