***UPDATED WITH MORE PICTURES!!*** Dreamcast Laptop Project!

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king
***UPDATED WITH MORE PICTURES!!*** Dreamcast Laptop Project!

Post by HotDog-Cart » Wed May 21, 2008 8:20 pm

Dreamcast Laptop Project Version 1.

Welcome guys. Welcome to the first Dreamcast Laptop thread.

Parts List:
Dreamcast
Controller
56k Adapter
LCD Monitor
Dreamcast VGA Box
Plastic/Plexiglass for Case
Hot Glue + Gun
Hinges
Paint $???

Just a few questions.

1)I don't really want to dish out like $100+ for the rare and hard to find Dreamcast Ethernet Adapter. Now, since the Dreamcast has a built in 56k Modem/Telephone Modem, here comes my question. Do they make wireless adapters for a 56k? (So instead of tieing up the phoneline when I want online, I could just use my routers wifi. Wifi is ethernet. Basically I'm asking, if I can get a 56k Wifi adapter and stick it in the dreamcast and have wireless internet, Instead of using a 56k cable and running it to a modem.)

2) What size of monitor do you guys suggest?

3) What type of plastic should I make the case out of?

4) What kind of paint should I use to paint this? and How should I paint it? (Use glossy coat or something after painting?)

Thanks.

EDIT: Heres a sketch on what this will look like. Notice theres no keyboard or mouse. They will be in the second model.

Last edited by HotDog-Cart on Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:12 pm, edited 16 times in total.

Grandmasterjimmy
PSN Username:PeglegJimmy

Post by Grandmasterjimmy » Wed May 21, 2008 9:51 pm

Dreamcast, it has keyboard, mouse, it isn't too hard to work with, and it has native support for VGA and it's easy to make the VGA circuit, or you can buy the circuit for $15

Wait, you think a Dreamcast is $55? Are you crazy? You can get them for like $20 on ebay. I've seen them with keyboard, mouse, controllers, memory cards, and games for under $50.

APHawkes

Post by APHawkes » Thu May 22, 2008 7:58 am

I dunno. Which console do you like / have / want? No point making a toy if you're not going to play with it!

I'm doing the Composite->VGA adapter route (because I had one) and it's an additional annoyance. Picture quality isn't as good, another device needing power, buttons needing placement (on some models), another circuit board, set of wires.... not the best choice.

That said, I'd probably go with a Dreamcast too. I've got a long-standing fascination with the system but haven't taken the time to play with one. I know the homebrew and hacking community really took to it, so the possibilities are interesting.

Good Luck!

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Thu May 22, 2008 9:24 am

Up to you what you make, no point asking us, make something!

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer

Post by HotDog-Cart » Thu May 22, 2008 2:54 pm

Check first post for update!!!!

Dreamcast Decided for reasons listed below.

Dreamcast chosen because:
1)Dreamcast has a VGA box that I can buy. Although not all games are compatible with the VGA box, most are and some can be patched to work.

2)I thought about it, and I must say. Dreamcast is my FAVORITE game system. I'm not sure why. It could be, because of the elegant name. Say it with me, "Dreamcast". Feels good when you say it. It could be, because of the fantastic games. There wacky, and fun. Or it could be because that I can "aquire" any game so I'm saving money.

3)The dreamcast seems to be the cheapeast system.

Check the first post for update!!!!!!!

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Thu May 22, 2008 3:45 pm

HotDog-Cart wrote:1)Dreamcast has a VGA box that I can buy. Although not all games are compatible with the VGA box, most are and some can be patched to work.
A modded Xbox can output VGA without anything else (need to use a special bios or something). Just throwing that out there incase thats what was keeping you from the Xbox.

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer

Post by HotDog-Cart » Thu May 22, 2008 3:59 pm

EDIT: Update. See first post for picture!

Whats keeping me from the xbox is:

1)Its big and heavy.
2) I have ONLY 3 games for it.
3)My XBOX seems to have a disktray problem, where the tray seems to open and close on its own.
4)Its an xbox. Its got good games, but its already been "done" so many times. Theres a lot of XBOX portables, and well I want to be different.

Dreamcast Laptop! Its the first of its kind, to be laptopized!

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: ***UPDATED WITH PICTURES!!*** Dreamcast Laptop Project!

Post by bacteria » Fri May 23, 2008 1:14 am

HotDog-Cart wrote: 3) What type of plastic should I make the case out of?

4) What kind of paint should I use to paint this? and How should I paint it? (Use glossy coat or something after painting?)
3) If using perspex, use 3mm or 4mm; 2mm is not rigid enough, especially if you have a large hole cut out for the keyboard.

4) Best not to use glossy as it shows up any and all imperfections; go for matt. Colour - for the same reason avoid black or white if you can - this is why I went for a cream type colour on mine. If you want a lightly speckled and interesting covering, to also hide some imperfections. consider oil based paint (wall paint) and apply with a mini roller. Apply a few coats, then a few coats of heavy duty clear varnish to preserve it.

Grandmasterjimmy

Post by Grandmasterjimmy » Fri May 23, 2008 1:24 am

You said nothing uses the keyboard. Lots of the FPS work with them and the mouse I thought, and the Internet browser. And lets not forget typing of the dead, and Phantasy Star.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Fri May 23, 2008 6:18 am

Call me crazy, but wouldn't it be easier to just buy a Treamcast. I mean their less then $200, the one in the link is black (dead sexy), and should be about $200 shipped. So that might be a better and easier way to go about it.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer

Post by HotDog-Cart » Fri May 23, 2008 11:48 am

Yea, I understand what your saying Sparky but 3 things.

1)Anyone can buy a treamcast. Yet only someone smart can make a laptop version. I also want to do this as its good knowlegde and is gonna be fun to do.

2)Also, the screen on the treamcast is small. I'm planning on using a 15inch and up LCD display.

3)I like making stuff rather than buying it premade.

Also, anything that uses a mouse and keyboard can be played with the controller instead.

Grandmasterjimmy

Post by Grandmasterjimmy » Fri May 23, 2008 12:25 pm

You can't play typing of the dead without a keyboard :P

It's sad you won't be able to do some hardcore spelling to kill zombies on this laptop :(

APHawkes

Post by APHawkes » Fri May 23, 2008 12:59 pm

I'm not trolling here, but if you're going to put a 15" LCD in it, then why not put a keyboard? Obviously size permits putting one in.

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer

Post by HotDog-Cart » Fri May 23, 2008 1:40 pm

Alright. I guess I didnt explain enough.
The dreamcast keyboard is big and fat and thick. Buttons are huge and troublesome. Also, I dont need a keyboard. Heres some facts.

1)Only ONE game needs a keyboard to be able to be played. Thats typing of the dead. Its lame.

2)Getting a keyboard, takes more money, More time, more modding, adding thickness to the laptop, more space, and isnt worth it.

So really, I don't need the keyboard or mouse.

Also, could I use plexiglass for a case?

APHawkes

Post by APHawkes » Fri May 23, 2008 1:51 pm

ok, ok. Sorry :)

Yeah, plexiglass (Acrylic) is pretty and totally usable for a case. I'm getting a nice big sheet of it for my laptop!