marbs N64p progress log (yes, there are pictures!)

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

schmellyfart
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Steam ID:schmellyfart

Post by schmellyfart » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:53 pm

When you tried relocating the cart slor with the SCSi headers and and IDE cables, you did you two IDE cables right?

Dr. KillGood

Post by Dr. KillGood » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:07 pm

Whats the best way to hot glue, then bondo in the PSone screen's plastic part? When I did it I used duck tape to and pushed it into the cracks a little bit so that the hot glue would leave space for the bondo to go into?

There a better way?

schmellyfart

Post by schmellyfart » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:53 am

Dr. KillGood wrote:Whats the best way to hot glue, then bondo in the PSone screen's plastic part? When I did it I used duck tape to and pushed it into the cracks a little bit so that the hot glue would leave space for the bondo to go into?

There a better way?
WTF? What does that have to do with Marb's portable?? :roll:

An easy way is to superglue ~6 evenly spaced points on the plastic to the rest of the case, depending on the size of the plastic and how snug the plastic already is. Then once the glue dries, put masking/painters tape (it doesnt leave residue and comes off easily compared to duct tape) over the holes on the front of the case. Then flip the case over and insert the bondo. When I did this on my snesp, I used a generic brand of he marine putty stick and it turned out just fine.

[/offtopic]

marbs

Post by marbs » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:44 am

@schmellyfart
No, I just used one SCSI cable. Was I meant to use two?

@Dr. KillGood
The way I did it (not necessarily the best way) was by taping the screen in place using tape on the outside of the case. Then I used hotglue on the inside to stick the plastic screen case in place. Once the glue was set I removed the tape, and next I am going to fill the gap with milliput.

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:52 am

Well, I suggest you build your portable on the front plate as much as possible, because when you go to put everything in, I'm sure it won't happen., and you can get a zn45, which should fit it and make it wider. But thats only because I doubt the skills of people who haven't previously made portables. But I could be wrong, so good luck to ya!

I'm keeping an eye one dis one!

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

marbs

Post by marbs » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:44 am

ye of little faith, I will get it all in, just you watch! :P I did consider using the ZN-45 case since it's a little wider, however I thought it might feel unconfortable to hold.

My milliput which I ordered exactly a week ago (and stated 3 working day delivery, pff) arrived earlier, so I set to work on the front of the case. Just finished and it currently looks like this:

Sticky suff that epoxy, got some on my keyboard but managed to wash most off with water :D

Once that's dried I'll sand it to shape and then set to work on the controls. They might need some epoxying around the edges as well to make them blend in, but I have plenty of milliput left so I should be fine!

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:00 am

Well, my 5th n64p was a zn45 and its not thick at all.

SS

marbs

Post by marbs » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:21 am

This is my 1st portable, but Im confident I will get it all in. The screen and N64 fit, I just need to also cram the controller in which will be the hard part. I didn't relocate the cart slot or expansion pack, they simply stick out the back, and Im also mounting my battery on the back as well, so I will have some sort of box on the back to contain it all. If I was going to have the battery on the inside of the case I definetly woudl have got a ZN-45 :P

Neildo_64
Portablizer

Post by Neildo_64 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:33 pm

I think the zn-45 would be a little too thick. The parts would fit a lot better though. With mine, I am also putting the batteries in something else on the back, as well as whatever else I can fit. An N64 portable in a zn-40 is NOT an easy task. I hope everything fits pretty well for you.
Current projects:
Ultimate N64 Guide
N64 Portable (x2)
NES Portable

marbs

Post by marbs » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:38 pm

Everything is going well! I decided to get to work on the controller today. I got my N64 controller, opened it up, took the mobo out, and then cut the controller casing into lots of little pieces so that I had the C buttons, A and B buttons, Start button, joystick and d-pad plastic in separate pieces. Then I set to work trying to position them such that they would all fit in the case like so:
Unfortunately I couldn't seem to squeeze them all in, so I had to leave the D-pad out. Of course the L button is also left out :P, I'll do the R and Z ones later.

The N64 analogue stick box thingy is quite chunky, so I decided to open up my superpad 64 (or whatever it's called) and use that instead, and the joystick for that seems to fit nicely, and I also prefer it over the original one.

This time instead of using my soldering iron and knife to cut holes in the case, I went for the more conventional method of using a drill. It was a lot easier, quicker, and a lot less smelly :wink:

Once that was done, I glue-gunned all the plastic things in place (had to try and not get carried away, it's easy to use up loads of glue).

Then I got out my trusty supply of milliput and set to work moulding it on the case. Water helps a lot! Without it, the stuff sticks to your fingers and it's hard to get a smooth finish. Of course though, it doesn't matter if it isn't amazingly smooth since afterwards I sanded it, starting off with a coarse grain working my way down to a fine.

This is where I've ended up:
The buttons aren't wired in, I just taped them in place because it looks neat, and so that I can get a feel for it. The joystick feels like it's in the perfect position, and the start buttons fits beneath it nicely. The A and B buttons feel like they could possibly be a big higher up, but maybe that's because I have big hands. I'll just have to hold the console further down. Either way I couldn't move the buttons further up since the screw posts are in the way.

My tact switches should be arriving in the post any day soon, so once they arrive I can get to work wiring the controller up, though first of course I need to get the case painted.

I'm undecided on whether to do it white or black, though I'm edging towards white mainly because I have some left over from a previous project. However I'm not sure if I need some specific type of paint, are't you meant to do different types in a different order, like a primer first and then a final layer on top after? I'll need to find out more information about painting.

Anyway, enough waffle from me, got to go to bed now, school tomorrow.

Zereo_XI

Post by Zereo_XI » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:31 pm

marbs, I don't know if it would work but you could Squeeze the L & R on the Right side (Looking from outside, Left from inside) like if it was a PS Controller and maybe be able to squeeze the D-Pad in.
My portable thread:
Not stating any project again until I have a job.

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:43 pm

Hmm. Looks nice so far.

SS

schmellyfart

Post by schmellyfart » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:03 pm

marbs wrote:@schmellyfart
No, I just used one SCSI cable. Was I meant to use two?
Lol. Yeah you have to use two, one for each side. If you only use one, the signals will get mixed up no matter what way you attach it.

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:51 am

Looks good so far!

Neildo_64
Portablizer

Post by Neildo_64 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:41 pm

marbs wrote:However I'm not sure if I need some specific type of paint, are't you meant to do different types in a different order, like a primer first and then a final layer on top after? I'll need to find out more information about painting.
Just use krylon fusion.
You don't need primer or anything, just a few coats of it. It is specifically for plastic and wont rub off, as will most other spray paint. A lot of thin coats is better than 2 or 3 thick coats. Put it on very thin multiple times, letting it dry in between and you will get the finish you want.
Current projects:
Ultimate N64 Guide
N64 Portable (x2)
NES Portable