Beep sound? and other Q's

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Marionette
Beep sound? and other Q's

Post by Marionette » Thu May 15, 2008 8:34 pm

Hi guys, Im new to Ben Heck's forums. (Just discovered this genius within recent months.)

So, Ive been saving up money for Older game systems to mod.

I just got a Dreamcast (Sega FanBoy, Old School Genesis yo :P j/k)

anyways, I haven't played one in years, and everytime I turn it on it makes an annoying BEEP sound. Is it supposed to do that? And I noticed that it happened when I paused a game and pulled the VMU out then back in. (Note: the sound during start-up seemed to come from the area of the DC, and pulling the VMU the beep seemed to come from the controller. Iunno.)

Is it supposed to do that?

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Thu May 15, 2008 8:58 pm

That happens when the lithium coin cells in the VMU are dead and power is applied through the Dreamcast. You can either put up with it or buy two new CR2032 cells for the VMU.

Twilight Wolf
PSN Username:MySegaSaturn

Re: Beep sound? and other Q's

Post by Twilight Wolf » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:34 pm

Ha! Why did it decide to post about "Everybody Loves Raymond?" There's nothing even close to being related to it in this topic.

Silly spambots and their faulty AI.
Tchay wrote:
samjc3 wrote:Fire. Youve probably heard of it?
No he's from Canada.

64M320N3

Post by 64M320N3 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:44 pm

Twilight Wolf wrote:Ha! Why did it decide to post about "Everybody Loves Raymond?" There's nothing even close to being related to it in this topic.

Silly spambots and their faulty AI.
They have NO AI. :lol:
Anyway, they are supposed to do that, post about random stuff in threads that have had a bunch of views, so at least some people see it.
Problem is, I already watch Everybody Loves Raymond all the time.

Also, [off topic] why do you call yourself twilight wolf if you're a sega fanboy- doesn't make much sense to me.
Making stuff with my new beautiful CNC machine!
Would you like a professional looking custom case for your portable? I may be able to help you. Check out this link:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32724

Twilight Wolf

Post by Twilight Wolf » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:22 pm

It's just a general-purpose forum username, really. I love "Twilight Princess," which is how I came up with it... oh, about a year and a half ago. It, or a variant of it, at least, shows up in other accounts I've got, too. My AIM screenname is "WolfLinkRocks," and my PSN ID is "WolfLinkSaturn," for example.

Ironically, I've gotten disgusted with Nintendo over the past few years, for reasons I won't get into here (unless you're really interested).
Tchay wrote:
No he's from Canada.

64M320N3

Post by 64M320N3 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:43 pm

Twilight Wolf wrote:Ironically, I've gotten disgusted with Nintendo over the past few years, for reasons I won't get into here (unless you're really interested).
:lol: No, I'm not particularly interested, but i have too. I understand.
(I always loved the Genesis.)
Making stuff with my new beautiful CNC machine!
Would you like a professional looking custom case for your portable? I may be able to help you. Check out this link:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32724

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:31 pm

Twilight Wolf wrote: Ironically, I've gotten disgusted with Nintendo over the past few years, for reasons I won't get into here (unless you're really interested).
I am a bit interested, I am guessing it has something to do with them being less "hardcore". One only needs to see this video to understand the path they are taking: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XR7LaJL ... re=related

Excellent

Twilight Wolf

Post by Twilight Wolf » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:00 pm

palmertech wrote:
Twilight Wolf wrote: Ironically, I've gotten disgusted with Nintendo over the past few years, for reasons I won't get into here (unless you're really interested).
I am a bit interested, I am guessing it has something to do with them being less "hardcore".
That's roughly it in a nutshell, but... it goes deeper than that. I'll try to explain.

Nintendo got my hopes up with the Wii, then disappointed me over and over again. Now they've abandoned me, the gamer, and they've completely cut off the fans they've collected over the past 25 years because of their love for Nintendo's games in favor of the middle-aged/geriatric market that goes ga-ga over "Wii Fit." Don't get me wrong, I would have no problem with them catering to that market if they paid as much attention to the people who were fans of Nintendo for their video games. But they don't. Instead, we got a gimicky, half-baked game system made from good intentions and inundated with brainless, effortless shovelware worth absolutely nothing, with the sheer number of such games far outweighing any worthwhile titles. When I got a PS3, I finally got to see how great the current generation of gaming could be, and how great the Wii could have been before Nintendo went this route. I'm never looking back now.

Man, this topic really derailed. I guess if you want any more info, you'll have to PM me.
Tchay wrote:
No he's from Canada.

Sun-Wukong

Re:

Post by Sun-Wukong » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:00 pm

marshallh wrote:That happens when the lithium coin cells in the VMU are dead and power is applied through the Dreamcast. You can either put up with it or buy two new CR2032 cells for the VMU.
Or just get a new VMU and transfer the data over to it. With dead batteries, it still works as a memory card, you just can't play mini games on it and other extra functions.
Twilight Wolf wrote:Nintendo got my hopes up with the Wii, then disappointed me over and over again. Now they've abandoned me, the gamer, and they've completely cut off the fans they've collected over the past 25 years because of their love for Nintendo's games in favor of the middle-aged/geriatric market that goes ga-ga over "Wii Fit." Don't get me wrong, I would have no problem with them catering to that market if they paid as much attention to the people who were fans of Nintendo for their video games. But they don't. Instead, we got a gimicky, half-baked game system made from good intentions and inundated with brainless, effortless shovelware worth absolutely nothing, with the sheer number of such games far outweighing any worthwhile titles. When I got a PS3, I finally got to see how great the current generation of gaming could be, and how great the Wii could have been before Nintendo went this route. I'm never looking back now.
It's not like all the Shovelware is from various third party companies and Nintendo still makes good games or anything. now I'm willing to admit not all of Nintendo's stuff lately has been aimed at true gamers (whatever the hell that even means anymore...), like Wii Fit and especially Wii Music, but it easy to look over it with awesome games like Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Twilight Princess, Mario Kart Wii, Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, Wario Land: Shake it!, SUPER SMASH BROS. BRAWL! not to mention the New Play Control! series set to come out soon. And it's not like every third party Wii game is a piece of crap, No More Heroes, Boom Blox, Bully: Scholarship Edition, De Blob, Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3, The Godfather: Blackhand Edition, Manhunt 2, Medal of Honor: Heroes 2, Zack & Wiki, all good games, available on the Wii if not Wii exclusives. That isn't to say there aren't more bad games on the Wii than on other systems, but to blame that solely on Nintendo is pure crap.
Chapel wrote:Ah shucks, I was really hoping to make an SNES encased in a 19 pound glob of hotglue and duct tape. :lol:

Twilight Wolf

Post by Twilight Wolf » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:02 pm

I'm not saying there are no good games on the Wii, from Nintendo or third-parties, because that's not true; in fact, momst of the Nintendo-developed games have been quite good. It's just that the majority of the third-party titles rely on gimicks and the "Wii" label to sell, and Nintendo is the one that chooses to give these developers licenses and let these games be developed and sold for the Wii. The fact that they're catering exclusively to the much larger "casual gamer" market shows me that they're, more or less, only in it for the money now.
Tchay wrote:
No he's from Canada.

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:20 pm

Twilight Wolf wrote:The fact that they're catering exclusively to the much larger "casual gamer" market shows me that they're, more or less, only in it for the money now.
they really gave no choice. :( Look at the gamecube, it had a lot of the "hardcore" Nintendo games, and it more or less failed. If I were running Nintendo, I would stick with the money as well; What else would they do, only make core Nintendo games that do not make as much money? They saw their shot to be the "kids console" of the next gen, and they are winning it. At least this strategy, while painful for a while, is probably just a recovery cycle phase; They are actually doing what it takes to keep Nintendo going. If you want to see why Sony and Microsoft are being stubborn, you only need to look at the fall of comic books. As time went on, the industry kept moving WITH the audience, making comics more complex/more mature. Problem is, once those people hit a certain age, they stop buying comics.

Same deal with games: As time goes on, the Xbox and the playstation are just moving with their core audience in terms of age range. What happens when those 20-somethings are in their 40s and have a real career? Nintendo, on the other hand, is using simple titles to lure in the youngest gamers, AND the ones who will play only simple games, regardless of age (See: Most soccer moms). Sure, this will suck for a while, but I see Nintendo winning the NEXT gen, due to Sony and M$ losing customers fast, and Nintendo having bred a whole new army of fanboys. Just gotta hang in there. :wink:

An interesting note: Hiroshi Yamauchi, who was president of Nintendo for 53 years until 2002, claims to have never played a videogame, yet he has led Nintendo to all sorts of great games/franchises. Then, Satoru Iwata, who claims te be a "true" gamer, comes in and makes THIS happen. Some crazy sort of irony there, eh? :lol:

Excellent

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:37 pm

I see consoles dying. The future is with PC gaming. Think about it. Almost-full backward compatibility (I can play wolfenstein 3d if I wanted to), falling prices (wheras consoles are getting more expensive), open architecture, and easy development. Also there is no regional lockout, a PC is a PC. You don't have to buy an HDTV to get the best quality. Online play is usually free and/or integrated. Now there are disadvantages, but there are disadvantages to consoles too.

Anyway, the Wii is a dumb idea. Nintendo went the wrong way. They need to get the high profile titles, but they don't. The Wii is also not very powerful, doesn't play DVDs, and is low-res. I thought the motion control would be great, but it's only good on very few games and most screw it up anyway. I'd probably buy a 360, mostly because Sony crippled the PS3. But I'm too cheap, so I'll stick to my PC and my N64 for now.

Twilight Wolf

Post by Twilight Wolf » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:41 pm

That is pretty crazy.

You're probably right about what Nintendo is doing now, but I don't know about Sony and Microsoft in the future. It could go either way, I think; the market they have now might only be composed of kids that want true next-gen gaming right now and would forget all about it in the future, causing them to fail down the road, or it could be composed of people that truly love games and will continue to buy them through the years, no matter what, which would keep them going for quite a while.

Either way, I'm sticking with my PS3 for my current-gen gaming desires. The only downside with it right now, to me, is that there is no support by Valve, which means an unpolished version of "The Orange Box" and no forseeable "Left 4 Dead." (My laptop can't play these games, by the way, so I can't get them any other way.)

How did Sony cripple the PS3, by the way, XCVG? I'm not sure what you mean by that.
Tchay wrote:
No he's from Canada.

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:39 pm

Sony crippled the PS3 by removing PS2 support, which to me is a Major Selling Point. This Major Selling Point is now an Advantage to the PS3's Competitor, the XBOX 360.

Who here Likes or Dislikes my Insane Use Of Capitals(tm)?

Twilight Wolf

Post by Twilight Wolf » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:16 pm

They removed PS2 support to lower the price, since the price is what everyone was complaining about. Now people are complaining about the lack of PS2 support.

Gah, everyone wants to have their cake and eat it, too.
Tchay wrote:
No he's from Canada.