Dimension of Genesis 3/Gonna make me a gennyP

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Grandmasterjimmy
PSN Username:PeglegJimmy
Dimension of Genesis 3/Gonna make me a gennyP

Post by Grandmasterjimmy » Tue May 13, 2008 1:07 pm

Could anyone get me the dimensions of the Genesis 3, and the Gamegear? I don't have any free time until summer, nor enough money, but I'd like to try to fit a Genesis in the Gamegear case.

I'm good with a dremel, and soldering iron, so I don't mind shaving the Genesis down a bit to fit it in.

Also, if this will end up fitting is there any mod's to make the Genesis 3, work with the games it doesn't work with?
Last edited by Grandmasterjimmy on Wed May 14, 2008 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DK

Post by DK » Tue May 13, 2008 1:16 pm

Don't know the exact sizes but there's no way in hell the Genny 3 will fit in a Gamegear.:lol:

A Radica GoaC will fit in there easily though but unless you are a soldering God you won't have a cart slot.

Grandmasterjimmy

Post by Grandmasterjimmy » Tue May 13, 2008 1:25 pm

Lol thanks, I never had a gamegear so I had no idea what size they were :P

I've never built a case or anything, But I could buy stuff for one. My grandmother owns a hardware store and they cut glass and plexiglass, I know how to use the glass cutter, so I could cut up some plexi for it.
Last edited by Grandmasterjimmy on Tue May 13, 2008 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nightwheel
PSN Username:nightwheel
360 GamerTag:nightwheel94
Steam ID:nightwheel

Post by nightwheel » Tue May 13, 2008 1:35 pm

If your going to build a case, Check the stickies in this part of the forum: http://forums.benheck.com/viewforum.php?f=13

Who knows if the Namco Portable will ever become a reality? :P

Grandmasterjimmy

Post by Grandmasterjimmy » Tue May 13, 2008 1:49 pm

Hmm... If I vacuum form a case, would wood made a good mold? I'm pretty good at carving wood.

DK

Post by DK » Tue May 13, 2008 2:24 pm

That's a good guide on vacuum forming

And yep, wood is what's usually used to make a mould :)

Grandmasterjimmy

Post by Grandmasterjimmy » Tue May 13, 2008 2:37 pm

Thanks for that guide DK.

What would you guys suggest for a screen? I've seen a lot of people like the PS1 5" screens.

I can't remember as I only saw a genesis 3 once, but arn't they about 5" by 5" or something? If they are, a 5" screen sounds great, as that would leave room for speakers, and controler parts.

I'll draw up a rough idea later of what it might look like, although it's kinda hard without measurements.

Grandmasterjimmy

Post by Grandmasterjimmy » Tue May 13, 2008 6:27 pm

Sorry for the double post. I just really wanna know how much money I'll need. I'm 16, and I can only work in the summer so I need a plan :P

Anyway has anyone tried one of these?

http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?t=23166&start=0

It's really small. That seems likly to fit in a GameGear(Still don't know how big they are.). It plays S&K which Genny 3 won't. It's a bit pricy, but it's worth it for some sweet, sweet, Sonic 2 on the road :) It wouldn't even need modded for the cart, as it's on a wire, and a small board, so That could be the whole cart slot. Looks like you could trim it down more too.

Grandmasterjimmy

Post by Grandmasterjimmy » Wed May 14, 2008 12:26 pm

Thing on the back's a cartslot with a cart in it.

Possible case design. I'm stuck between vacforming a case, or going to poly case and using one from there.

I tried to keep the style of the real Genesis controller, just didn't want to many curves so it's only slightly curvy.
It shouldn't be to hard to make a mold, I just need to cut a few parts out of some wood, and sand a lot.

I swear this is the last time I double post/triple post. It's just this forums kinda dead. :P

Also, what other ways could I melt the plastic when I vacform? I can't use the oven for it.

I think I'll paint it flat black like the Genesis.

project_failure

Post by project_failure » Wed May 14, 2008 1:18 pm

Grandmasterjimmy wrote:Sorry for the double post. I just really wanna know how much money I'll need. I'm 16, and I can only work in the summer so I need a plan :P

Anyway has anyone tried one of these?

http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?t=23166&start=0

It's really small. That seems likly to fit in a GameGear(Still don't know how big they are.). It plays S&K which Genny 3 won't. It's a bit pricy, but it's worth it for some sweet, sweet, Sonic 2 on the road :) It wouldn't even need modded for the cart, as it's on a wire, and a small board, so That could be the whole cart slot. Looks like you could trim it down more too.
Yeah here is a portable made out of one.

http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?t=23582

It's still not going to fit in a game gear case. Ditch the game gear case make a case out of plexiglass.
Sword_Gun wrote:Klef your asking a whole bunch of videogame players.. for girl advice.. Nice.
It is not junk! It is assorted goods with no current use.
-Project Failure

Grandmasterjimmy

Post by Grandmasterjimmy » Wed May 14, 2008 1:41 pm

Ya, I ditched the GG case idea after finding out how small they are. Instead I'm either vacforming a case, or using a case from polycase.

Grandmasterjimmy

Post by Grandmasterjimmy » Fri May 16, 2008 12:57 pm

Are you guys sure the gn twin won't fit in a GG? I found the dimensions of the GG on wikipedia and it's like 8" by 4 3/8" The gn twin is smaller than that.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg10 ... /guts1.jpg
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg10 ... /guts2.jpg
(Thanks lovablechevy for the pics :))

It looks like I could cut down a lot of the controller port board, just enough to wire 1 controller to it, and also the video out board looks like it could be cut down a lot. The nes board could have the cart slot removed, and placed under the Genesis board, or maybe removed. Then if I get a screen with a small board, I could relocate the cart slot, and redo the GG case some to make the cart slot big enough for Genesis carts, which G-force did and it looks great. I would need to flatten the caps to make it as thin as possible.

(G-force's pic)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/ ... r_coat.jpg