Instructional videos

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Life of Brian
Instructional videos

Post by Life of Brian » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:42 pm

This summer I plan to design and build an SNES portable that I will document in extreme detail. I believe that through using a combination of the website Instructables and YouTube videos I can make an SNES that anyone can build. I do not intend this as a replacement to Ben's book, but rather as a supplement. You could say it's an extra chapter for a new design, with bonus multimedia content. In fact, I will probably insist at the very beginning of each video that one should get the book first, read it first, and then if they like my design or need to see something in action to watch the videos. I do not intend this project to be a beginner's guide to electronics - Ben covered that well enough. It's where I got my start and is a very thorough explanation of the skills needed for such a project.

Instructables is awesome and I have used it a few times before for my digital picture frames and a neat flashlight I made. YouTube is also great for its universal access and embedding of videos.

It's possible to do this in as little as 4 videos. I thought up an outline for them earlier today:

I. System:
A. Remove from case
B. Relocate capacitors
C. Relocate cartridge slot
D. Testing
E. Remove controller ports, power jack, AV jack

II. Screen:
A. Remove from case
B. LED mod
C. AV and power connections
D. Testing

III. Batteries:
A. Protection circuit and charging
B. Power regulator
C. Connecting to switch, system, and screen
D. Testing

IV. Case:
A. Print template
B. Cut case plastic
C. Bend and cut aluminum
D. Screwposts
E. Controls
F. AV out, power jack, and 2nd controller jack
G. Installation
H. Testing

I think I've boiled it all down to the essentials, and since Instructables follows an outline format when designing your instructions then that will be beneficial.

This will not be a comprehensive, all-inclusive guide. It will cover the making of one specific portable, using the exact same batteries, system, screen, controls, and case that I use. People with experience will be encouraged to experiment to suit their tastes and budget, but those who wish to copy exactly what I do will have the advantage of knowing what to expect and what to watch out for.

I really enjoyed making the videos that I have posted on YouTube so far and the feedback that I have received has been overwhelmingly positive. I think I have a lot more to offer to this community and to everyone in general. Both Instructables and these forums are filled with like-minded individuals who enjoy creating items themselves and the satisfaction one derives from the process. I look forward to this project.

If I've forgotten any important steps, let me know. Or, if there's a method you suggest I use then I'll take it into consideration.

Tell me: If I wrote it, would you read it?
Last edited by Life of Brian on Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

Neildo_64
Portablizer

Post by Neildo_64 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:57 pm

If you wrote it, I would read it. 8) Sounds like a great idea for the people who don't really know where to start and don't really know for sure what they're getting into, or for anyone else. It would be an interesting read, no doubt.
Current projects:
Ultimate N64 Guide
N64 Portable (x2)
NES Portable

Black-Ops

Post by Black-Ops » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:34 pm

I will definitely use your guide when youre done with it. That is probably one of the best SNES portables I've ever seen before.

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:37 am

Great idea Brian. It will be valued and of great interest.