Inputting rgb from any console into the psone screen

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Dramlin
Inputting rgb from any console into the psone screen

Post by Dramlin » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:47 am

Hello all. Im attempting to make a rgb input into the official sony lcd screen without opening the screen, and im too much of a wimp to solder directly to the pins on the front of the lcd (What if i botch it up..? :shock: )
I would like to input rgb from my snes and n64....

So im wondering if anyone has come up with a way to do the job without using those 2 methods. Mainly I just dont want to mess up my somewhat expensive screen.

My only idea is to buy a cheap psone, rip out the multi av output from the back, and solder wires from the back side to a spider rgb cable.

Is there any reason why this idea wont work? Or is there a better way?

thanks 8)

gannon

Post by gannon » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:06 pm

You say you don't want to open it up to get the rgb, but then you say you're going to use rgb out of a n64? You have to hack the n64 to output rgb!
Anyways, just use a standard rgb ps1 cable and connect it to the 2nd playstation a/v jack.

Dramlin

Post by Dramlin » Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:06 pm

Anyways, just use a standard rgb ps1 cable and connect it to the 2nd playstation a/v jack.
The 2nd playstation jack..? On the back of the lcd itself? I thought that was an output only...

Reading through my last post maybe I wasn't entirely clear on what i was saying (im verrry tired at the moment). Basically i want to hook my snes up to my sony lcd (the official ps1 lcd) through RGB. But the only input connectors i know of on the lcd itself is the Playstation multi av In, on the front of the lcd, and the mini-jack port on the back of the lcd (which only accepts composite through an adapter if im not mistaken.)

So im trying to think of a way to do RGB without opening up the lcd screen.

Anyways if im entirely mistaken and you've given me the answer all along, my apologies.. Im so awfully tired... thanks for the help though, any information I can get is much appreciated.

NiN^_^NiN

Post by NiN^_^NiN » Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:56 pm

On the PS1 board the pins from the input AV plus go stright to the Outhput AV plug so u can hook it up through any end. 8)

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:14 pm

Wow i see what you mean. I was able to get L and R audio out of the ps1 screen by hooking it up as you said. Using couplers on the Audio plugs, coming from my snes. However I cannot get video as the ps1 screen won't turn on without the ps1 attached to it (and turned on might i add).

Is there any way to get the screen to turn on without the ps1 attached?
Seems like all the ideas im having would require quite a bit of work (and extra $..)

thanks for the help I feel like im actually getting somwhere now :D

stereth

Post by stereth » Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:06 pm

To turn on the PSOne screen, apply power to it.

The A/V port on the back of the screen isn't a straight pass through. Pretty close, but not quite. Not sure if that affects you. On my HHPS, I cut and stripped the ribbon cable and soldered it straight to the PSOne motherboard.

Make sure you connect power, ground, R, G, B, and S-video Y.

gannon

Post by gannon » Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:19 pm

I suppose that it might need the +5V on the input side to activate right. If you didn't mind opening up the case this would be an easy problem to solve. I'd recomend trying to find the female ps connector somewhere I guess.

Dramlin

Post by Dramlin » Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:11 am

I don't mind opening the case if it is a simple fix. I just don't trust my un-steady hand on complex jobs. Simply turning on the screen probably wont help with connecting outside video however as it seems the back connector on the lcd allows Audio to go through but video gets shut out entirely. (When the psone is turned on and plugged in the audio from an outside source overlaps and mixes with the ps1's. However even with video connected from the outside source, the lcd only displays the ps1's image)

At the moment i've got a broken psx on the way. Im definitely going to rip out the female av and see what I can do with it. I was hoping to convert the female ps port to a female RGB/Scart plug. However It seems no one sells that connector ANYWHERE. That way I could have used the spider rgb cable allowing me to connect just about any console to the lcd without modification (except n64 of course). Maybe I will just cut and strip the Spider and wire it directly to the female ps port....

Thanks for the input everyone. If you have any ideas on how to do this easier or more universally let me know, i appreciate it.

Dramlin

Post by Dramlin » Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:29 pm

Well after tangling with my spider cable for 5 or so hours without luck i guess im ready to go inside my lcd to get my precious RGB. I know my spider was kinda working but I couldnt figure out what was wrong with it (Perfect audio, lcd turns on, but I get shades of blue and green going vertically up my screen and wrapping around. I started to get a picture once but it just kept wrapping around real quickly. It will work I just cant figure out whats wrong with it.....

So is there a good website with directions on how to get rgb from the inside of the lcd?

thanks a lot everyone

stereth

Post by stereth » Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:32 pm

The easiest would probably be to solder to the pads on the bottom of the A/V daughterboard. Get a pinout from gamesx.com and solder the connections you need to the bottom of the A/V input connector.

gannon

Post by gannon » Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:35 pm

gamesx.com
They have the pinout of the playstation a/v port there.

Also, If someone could post where the different inputs are on the lcd controller that would be very helpfull. Wiring to the header board is easy, but it's nice to be able to remove it in certain situations

Dramlin

Post by Dramlin » Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:50 am

Well I finally got around to finishing my little spider rgb project. The cosmetic look of the hookup looks bad but my oh my the rgb is heavenly. This is a decent way to do things if you have $30 to spend ($10 for a psx and 20 for the spider cable) and don't want to open up your expensive lcd. I never once did.. Heres some pics if anyone is interested.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know I said I wanted to input snes but I can't resist the lure of the saturn...
-----------------------------------
Top view of it connected to the screen...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nasty.. NASTY looking insides (couldnt get my hot knife to work so I had to use a hacksaw to cut the plano box :twisted:
But atleast the box helps the insides from being smashed when i take it around..
---------------------------------------------------------------
Front view of connector