Sega Dreamcast Handheld Info

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Thegamer3000
Sega Dreamcast Handheld Info

Post by Thegamer3000 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:16 pm

I'm starting a Sega Dreamcast Portable and I need to know how much power the thing needs and consumes (V and Amps) Also any problems I might encounter with the Discdrive or anything.

Please help me.
Use your talents for God's Glory!

Progress on Handheld Sega Genesis 90%

Progress on Handheld NES to sell 40%

khaag

Post by khaag » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:55 pm

Hackmodford wrote:Hey it's still me. (I just changed my username)

Anyways, from reading around I figured out I'll need a PicoPSU and a huge mah 12V Batt.

NOw my next question is do I have to change anything witht he CD Drive? will it hold a CD Safely and is there a way to make it smaller or replace it with a smaller drive?

Also can a PSone Screen run on 12V? I think it can...

_edit_

I need advice on a good small battery
No a PSone screen requires 7.5V and won't run on 12V, you'll just fry it. You'll need a 7808 regulator to knock the 12V line down to 8V wich is acceptable to use for the screen.
[url=http://thekevbot.com]Portfolio[/url]
[url=http://twitter.com/thekevbot]Twitter[/url]
[url=http://blog.thekevbot.com]Blog[/url]

hy phrend

Post by hy phrend » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:46 pm

Hackmodford wrote:NOw my next question is do I have to change anything witht he CD Drive? will it hold a CD Safely and is there a way to make it smaller or replace it with a smaller drive?
You don't have to change anything with the CD Drive. It will still work fine. If you want it thinner you will have to do what dkap did with his gd-rom. Take a look here. I'm almost positive you can't replace it... unless your some kind of genious. And if that's the case, then where have you been???
DCP---Done

-=FamilyGuy=-

Post by -=FamilyGuy=- » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:00 pm

Hackmodford wrote:So now I need to know

1. How do I get RGB
2. A Good Battery Suggestion
3. How to use Vector Graphics to draw a case
According to my attemp:

1. Simply use the component video out, the psone screen already is half the resolution of the Video output so you won't get a much better image from vga.

2. Any RC car battery pack of 12v (or near), Portable dvd player or alptop battery (11.1v) are also working pretty well using a picopsu as the power supply, the higher the mAh, the longer it'll last.

3. I can't help you on that one, I actually sucks at making cases, and that's why my DCp ain't finished yet, all I need is a goddamn case done.

Hope I've been of help !

-=FG=-

-=FamilyGuy=-

Post by -=FamilyGuy=- » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:42 pm

You'll need a 7808 regulator, its left pin is the 10.5+Volts input, the middle pin is the ground and the right pin is the 8v regulated output.

Here's the data sheets: http://www.eleinmec.com/printerpage.asp?20
Complex docs (not that useful): http://www.eleinmec.com/datasheets/ds_n ... ulator.pdf

I hope it helps !

-=FamilyGuy=-

Post by -=FamilyGuy=- » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:19 pm

Yeah it's huge, yeah it's the good regulator, it depends on your AA batts, but

BUT:
Myself wrote:I found a dvd player batery pack (11.1v 2400mAh) and tested my DCp with it. With 2 vmus, the sound at half(using the speakers)and the brightness at 3/4, It last 70 minutes.
So with aprox 12v, 2400mAh and good coolling, it will last about 70 minutes.

Yeah, about the fan, put it "near" the gd-rom drive but put it so it push air outside the dc directly the "white queen" can get pretty hot with bad air flow beleive me.

FG

-=FamilyGuy=-

Post by -=FamilyGuy=- » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:24 pm

Hackmodford wrote:Is this the PicoPSU? http://cgi.ebay.com/PicoPSU-Series-Powe ... dZViewItem
NO! That's only a wall adapter for 12v (just like a gamecube power cable)

I don't know anything about lm317t, seriously. But it got a spare 7808 regulator I could give to you if you pay the shipping (should be really low, i'm in canada). but if you prefer the lm317t tgo for it.

It'd really be a better idea to put the fan so it'll push air directly out of the DC (and take the air from the front of the gd-rom drive, as much as possible.

PS: if you relocate the fan, don't forget the 3rd wire, the dc won't work more than 5 seconds without it, eventhough the fan would. (a security "is the fan there?" check to avoid overheating)

FG

tom61

Post by tom61 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:01 pm

Yes, the Dreamcast can play music CDs, that's the mechanism exploited by which you can load homebrew programs. It can even play MP3s off CD, either by having a DC MP3 player program on the disc, or on a separate one that is swapped out for the MP3 disc.

-=FamilyGuy=-

Post by -=FamilyGuy=- » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:42 pm

Maybe there's a separate ground for the abxy button and for the analog & d-pad. Tell us which controller you have, and a picture of the PCB would help a lot too.

ps: If you simply soldered one wire each side of the buttons connections, it SHOULD works.

FG

HBN

Post by HBN » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:00 pm

Hackmodford wrote:Will be done on Thursday Night!
Hackmodford wrote:It is done... :D
Its Friday. Your late. :P.
Please keep an eye on my HBN64 progress.
HBN-Style Anti-Noise Headphones.

Moderatio Est Figmentum.
Long live the Queen of Bondo!