gn twin - yobo brand gen & nes *now with pics*

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

lovablechevy
Portablizer Extraordinaire
gn twin - yobo brand gen & nes *now with pics*

Post by lovablechevy » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:24 pm

scroll down for pics and review

updated compatibility list as of 3/15/08

genesis
  • * doom troopers - perfect (G-force)
    * f22 interceptor - perfect
    * golden axe ii - loads but has controller issues - see later comments
    * lakers vs celtics and the nba playoffs - perfect
    * phantasy star ii - perfect
    * phantasy star iii - perfect
    * phantasy star iv - perfect
    * primal rage - perfect
    * shadowrun - perfect
    * shining force - perfect
    * sonic the hedgehog - perfect
    * sonic the hedgehog 2 - perfect
    * sonic the hedgehog 3 - perfect
    * sonic & knuckles - perfect (including the lock-on games)
    * super hydlide - perfect
    * traysia - perfect
    * virtua racing - perfect
    * winter challenge - perfect
nes (i am using good since i don't have an actual nes to compare)
  • * blaster master - good
    * castlevania - good
    * castlevania ii: simon's quest - good
    * castlevania iii: dracula's curse - does not work
    * dragon warrior - good
    * dragon warrior ii - good
    * dragon warrior iii - good
    * dragon warrior iv - good - took about 10 tries
    * dungeon magic: sword of the elements - good
    * gauntlet (unlicensed) - does not work solid color screen - tried 10x
    * guardian legend - good - just a note, this did not work on the super 8
    * gyromite - good
    * hydlide - good
    * ironsword: wizards & warriors ii - good
    * legacy of the wizard - no sound
    * legend of zelda - good
    * magic of scheherazade - good
    * metroid - good
    * milon's secret castle - good
    * paperboy - good
    * star tropics - good
    * super mario bros/duck hunt - smb is good no way to test duck hunt
    * trojan - good
    * zelda ii: the adventure of link - good
famicom with converter
  • * advanced dungeons & dragons: dragons of flame - good
    * fire emblem - does not work
    * fire emblem gaiden - does not work
    * mother - does not work
    * musashi no bouken - good
    * suito homu - good
nes repro carts
  • * advanced dungeons & dragons: dragons of flame - good
    * adventures of musashi - does not work
    * earthbound zero - does not work
    * sweet home - good
here is a requested picture of the gn twin playing virtua racing

back to original post.

i know there is topic about the gen-x system. but does anybody know much about yobo's gn twin? all i can find information wise is one review.

scroll down

some more info

there are quite a few up for sale on ebay.

i know the price is high right now, but i'm sure it'll come down. according to the one review, regular genesis controllers work with it. that already makes it better than the gen-x system.

since it's a yobo, i'm sure the nes side has the normal flaws.

just thought i'd let everyone know about the fc twin's brother! :-)

if anyone purchases either the gen-x or the gn twin, please make sure to take pics of the insides! :D
Last edited by lovablechevy on Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:50 am, edited 7 times in total.

Ace_1

Post by Ace_1 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:45 pm

I wouldn't think so, since newer-model FC Twins with the Yobo jewel on them have perfect audio, except for the triangle and noise channels being too quiet. I expect the GN Twin to have the same NES-on-a-chip. I'm really curious to see if the Genesis side on both this and the Gen-X have a Motorola 68000 and a Zilog Z-80 or equivalent. What I really want to know is this: does it work with Virtua Racing?

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:48 pm

Ace_1 wrote:I wouldn't think so, since newer-model FC Twins with the Yobo jewel on them have perfect audio, except for the triangle and noise channels being too quiet. I expect the GN Twin to have the same NES-on-a-chip.
you wouldn't think so about what exactly...? i said that since it is a yobo it would have the same flaws. indicating it would be the same noac as in the fc twin. i know that the fc twin noac has gotten better, but it is still not 100% compatible.

Ace_1

Post by Ace_1 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:07 pm

That's due to improper wiring of the CIRAM/CE line on the cartridge slot.

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:36 pm

i still don't see what you're getting at. i said it will be the same noac as the fc twin. you say it will be the same noac as the fc twin. but you don't agree that it will have the same flaws as the fc twin...? i just don't get what you are saying in that. maybe it's just me.

Ace_1

Post by Ace_1 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:32 am

lovablechevy wrote:i still don't see what you're getting at. i said it will be the same noac as the fc twin. you say it will be the same noac as the fc twin. but you don't agree that it will have the same flaws as the fc twin...? i just don't get what you are saying in that. maybe it's just me.
All right, let me get this straight. What I'm saying is that the GN Twin could have the same NOAC as the newer FC Twins with the Yobo jewel that have perfect audio except for the triangle channel that's too silent on certain games and still doesn't work with Castlevania III, corrupts Rad Racer II, etc. Does this help you get what I'm saying? Or, wait a minute, what if this is a re-engineered Gen-X? The Gen-X uses an older NOAC that has audio pitch issues, so that CAN be possible, but probably not. Only way to find out is when someone buys one of these things. I'd really like to see the internals of this thing(and the Gen-X), though. I'm sure if there's a Motorola 68000 and a Zilog Z-80 in there, it'll work with everything(probably not Virtua Racing, since this game didn't work on the Genesis 3). Now, about the casing, I don't know if it's just my eyes, but it looks to me like a tank with no gun barrel. Are my eyes playing tricks on me?

17daysolderthannes

Post by 17daysolderthannes » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:07 pm

the only problem with Genesis clones is that they are pretty much unnecessary. Genesis 2's are indestructible and can be bought for about $25 ANYWHERE. So, why buy a 3rd party remake for MORE money when you can have the real deal for a whole lot less? Yes, there is the matter of sticky buttons and what not (which only necessitates a cleaning, all mine work like new now), but aside from that, its better in every way. Plus, if you want to play Sega CD or 32X games, only a Gen 1 or 2 will let you (or a CDX and JVC X'EYE if you want to get technical). Unless these things dive into the ~$30 mark, I don't see them taking off very well, unless of course you just want to be able to play NES games with the best controller the world has ever known (original 6 button Genesis pad).

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:46 pm

well, i'm sure for most people on this forum, they would be interested in genesis clones for portablelizing. after all, they most likely have smaller boards.

other than that, i would tend to agree with you. any genesis is rather cheap.

G-force

Post by G-force » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:09 am

I just bought one of these last week. They're pretty cool. Better than a Genesis 3 I'd even say. Much better compatibility, although I still havent been able to try Sonic 3 yet. But doom troopers worked on it, and that wouldnt run on the Genesis 3, so I'm betting Sonic3 will work.

But wouldnt you know... BIG PROBLEM. The controllers are completely wacked. Here's what I've found. I thought at first they might just be NES controllers with a genesis board added in too, but now after some tracing I have no idea what they are!

When the power switch is switched to the Genesis, Player 1 controller has the normal 5V and ground connections. It also shares a common line with player 2 port. It then has 3 completely separate connections which then go into the NES board, and into a series of chips, which then output signals to the Genesis board.

Player 2 is identical, except it has 2 EXTRA connections. I'm thinking possible NES lightgun connections, even if they didn't make a lightgun for this system?

But to make things even more confusing, the power switch has connections to the controller. When you flip it to the genesis side, it sends 5V to it. When you switch it to NES, no voltage to the controller. :|

I'm sure theres more to this that I'm just missing, but I have to hit the hay. Hopefully theres a way to separate the NES and Genesis boards, or this is pretty much worthless to me.

Any help is VERY appreciated at this point!

G-force

Post by G-force » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:27 am

To garner interest, I offer a pic of the insides. :)

Note the 6 wires coming from the controller. NES has 5 wires, and Genesis has 9. So is this an entirely custom controller?

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:23 am

you beat me to it! i have one on the way. along with the gen-x and the sg/fc dual. http://www.productwiki.com/upload/image ... _clone.jpg

i know, i know. why am i getting three of practically the exact same thing? well, to see which one is better of course! :-)

can't wait to read what else you find out about the gn twin! :)

Ace_1

Post by Ace_1 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:22 pm

Man, I thought this thing had the whole Motorola 68000/Zilog Z-80 combo and all. Seems to me like the Genesis 3 was reverse-engineered to make this system(and possibly the other 2, can't wait to see the Gen-X's hardware, though!).

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:31 pm

i just got my gn twin today.

box front

box back

system

controller comparison. as you can see, the plugs are slightly different. gn twin controller is on the left, sega controller on the right. (just in case... :roll:)

close up of guts plus measurements. sure, there are 4 boards, but they are small boards!

and the back of the boards in case anybody cares.

i haven't had time to do a complete compatibility test with all the nes games i own, but i can give you the ones that i did test:

***moved to top of page for easy access***

that is all i had time to try out right now. this is the first clone console i've heard of that works with paperboy. the controller issue for golden axe ii is interesting. it maps out right as select, left as x, down as y, and up as z. so it's not that it's impossible to play, per-se... it would just be very difficult and annoying.

i dismantled my power base converter to see if sms games would run on this thing. and the results were... interesting. i only tried two of my games (golden axe warrior and golvellius). they both loaded fine. and the b and c buttons became the two sms buttons. but, the control pad did not work at all. so even though you can load the game and even start a new one, all you can do is stand in one place and jump or swing your sword or whatever.

even though the review that i linked above states that genesis controllers can work on this, they can't. the plug is too small. i wonder if there is a way to get it to recognize an actual genesis controller. maybe then golden axe ii and the power base converter would work correctly... hmm....

anyway, just thought someone might like to know this bit of information. i'll update my compatibility list as i test my games on it.

G-force, did you test any other games besides doom troopers on it before you ripped it apart? if so, let me know and i'll add that to the list also. pm me the info if you want. thanks!

i'll write up an actual review later when i have more energy.

update: 3/15/08

ok, at long last, i have the energy for the review!

for the most part, the gn twin is not a bad console. the genesis side is far superior to the nes side. the genesis side played almost every game i threw at it. the only games that appear to be a problem are the ones that have to have the mode button pushed (golden axe ii).

the genesis side does have slight sound differences, but it was not very noticeable to me. the controller is very nice and doesn't feel too tight or too loose. in fact, it basically feels just like the 6 button controllers that were included with the genesis 3.

the nes side has color and sound differences. well, at least compared to my other nes clones and the emulation i have done. sorry, i do not own an actual nes. the controller is weird for nes games. the buttons are backwards. they mapped the nes a button to the genesis a button and the nes b button to the genesis b button. which means that you'll have to think backwards when playing nes games. the genesis c button seems to push both a and b at the same time. in some games, it'll work great to replace the a button so that you'll have the buttons mapped correctly (super mario brothers). other games, it just does both the a and b at the same time which can be bad (metroid). the x, y, and z buttons are turbo for the a, b, and c buttons respectively.
Last edited by lovablechevy on Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ace_1

Post by Ace_1 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:53 pm

Check to see if the GN Twin's controllers work on original Sega hardware to confirm if they are or aren't made like Sega's 6-button controllers.
And, well, this seems better than a Genesis 3! Virtua Racing works 100%? 3D data all there, no irregularities? If you can confirm this Loveablechevy, I might just stop running around for a Genesis 3 and get this. I'd really like to get an update on how Virtua Racing works on the Gen-X, 'cause if it works on that, then I'd get the Gen-X, since it resembles the Genesis 3 the most(mind you, I find the GN Twin to look kinda funky, like a tank with no gun barrel, at least to my eyes. Please disassemble the Gen-X when you get it, okay?

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:49 pm

Ace_1 wrote:Check to see if the GN Twin's controllers work on original Sega hardware to confirm if they are or aren't made like Sega's 6-button controllers.
And, well, this seems better than a Genesis 3! Virtua Racing works 100%? 3D data all there, no irregularities? If you can confirm this Loveablechevy, I might just stop running around for a Genesis 3 and get this. I'd really like to get an update on how Virtua Racing works on the Gen-X, 'cause if it works on that, then I'd get the Gen-X, since it resembles the Genesis 3 the most(mind you, I find the GN Twin to look kinda funky, like a tank with no gun barrel, at least to my eyes. Please disassemble the Gen-X when you get it, okay?
i tried the gn twin's controller in the genesis. i know that it was in, because when i hit the slow button, the light on the controller came on. but, the genesis did not recognize anything from the controller. i also did some modifying to an original 6 button genesis controller so it would fit in the gn twin port. the gn twin does not recognize the controller at all. alas... this is frustrating!

i just played virtua racing on both the genesis and the gn twin for quite some time. i honestly cannot see anything different. after playing on the gn twin a bit more, i do notice that the sound is a bit different. to me, it's not a big deal, but i know some people wouldn't like it. it sounds... brighter. if that makes any sense. sorry, i was a music major and we use terms like that all the time.

and Ace_1, don't worry, i plan on ripping apart the gen-x, the gn twin, and the sg/fc dual. well, maybe i'll just gently take them apart. and i will make sure to post pics of them all.