RGB on PAL SNES

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire
RGB on PAL SNES

Post by bacteria » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:22 pm

I read somewhere that PAL SNES's (original console systems) are inhibited from outputting in RGB, however a few sellers on e-bay say they can convert the multi-port > Scart cable they sell to RGB output on PAL SNES's. This means I imagine that the pins on the multi-cable port must be able to carry RGB at standard. This appears to be a conflict between the yes and no camps.

Can anyone elaborate please, preferably with help on how to make my PAL SNES output RGB (pinouts?). Thanks!

sammy

Post by sammy » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:59 am

Pal snes outputs RGB standard. But for some reason above my knowledge it's not your average RGB signal.

MMMonkey has a tutorial on how to make an RGB cable for the PAL snes. It is indeed quite different from NTSC.

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/ninte ... es-rgb.htm

you may want to include a booster circuit if you're not happy with the quality of the signal. It really makes your signal/noise characteristics a lot higher :wink:

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:44 am

Interesting, thanks.

bytebandit73

Post by bytebandit73 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:36 am

Hi Bacteria,
sorry for my bad english but i am a PAL Man :o) ... after a long time i manage to get registered. The PAL SNES has RGB also but the pinout is different. You have to be very careful because the CSync in NTSC is +12V in PAL ! However here is a link to the correct Pinout and many others http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/ ... t.htm#snes. I have tested the Pinout last week an it worked perfect.

Greetings from Switzerland

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:02 pm

Mhm, looks like almost everything I wanted to say has been said already.

Well I might as well tell you that the CSync is within the composite pin, so go there for your csync

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:03 pm

Thanks bytebandit73 - a very interesting site! Thanks! Also, welcome to the forum.

Kyo - Thanks as always, and for pointing out the C-Sync.