nes/snes retro duo! pics, review, hacking info 7/27/10

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

footinmouth
Re: nes/snes retro duo! pics, review, hacking info 3/24/09

Post by footinmouth » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:20 am

Life of Brian wrote:
eurddrue wrote:Wait, I thought that the nes side was rendered useless after you took away the snes side.
Yes, it is.
IT IS!? :shock:
I guess I'll just buy the yobo fc instead
is there any other way to use the nes side only? or no
i hate how electronic part suppliers give you an option on their website to filter your searches so that you can find a certain part and no results come up!

edm

Post by edm » Thu May 28, 2009 8:07 am

I apologise if this has aleady been covered but I couldn't see anything about this in this or other threads.

I'm in the UK and have a Retro Duo which runs most games but a few run into the various lockout problems already mentioned in this thread.

I have a Datel Universal Adapter Expert Version which allows you to get round some region coding by inserting an NTSC cartridge into the back whilst a PAL cartridge is put in the top.

So far I've not had any luck, the game just shows a black screen. I was wondering if anyone else had experimented with this adapter in the Retro Duo.

Also, the only NTSC cartridge I have just now is Starfox, I have read that some games make a better 'key' cartridge than others, could this be part of the problem?

Thanks for any help.

lovablechevy
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by lovablechevy » Thu May 28, 2009 2:46 pm

edm wrote:I apologise if this has aleady been covered but I couldn't see anything about this in this or other threads.

I'm in the UK and have a Retro Duo which runs most games but a few run into the various lockout problems already mentioned in this thread.

I have a Datel Universal Adapter Expert Version which allows you to get round some region coding by inserting an NTSC cartridge into the back whilst a PAL cartridge is put in the top.

So far I've not had any luck, the game just shows a black screen. I was wondering if anyone else had experimented with this adapter in the Retro Duo.

Also, the only NTSC cartridge I have just now is Starfox, I have read that some games make a better 'key' cartridge than others, could this be part of the problem?

Thanks for any help.
i've not heard of the adapter you are using. some adapters are much more compatible than others. the ones talked about in this thread already are known to be the most compatible. and yes, the key cartridge is important. i don't believe star fox is a good one to use with it. i'll try to remember to pull out my pal game and see which carts are good key carts to use with it.
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

current project - code name: blue mushroom!

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Thu May 28, 2009 3:08 pm

Does the super gameboy work with the retro duo/fc twin?
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Thu May 28, 2009 3:16 pm

eurddrue wrote:Does the super gameboy work with the retro duo/fc twin?
yes, eurddrue. look at the compatibility list. there is an entire category for it.
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Thu May 28, 2009 4:33 pm

lovablechevy wrote:
eurddrue wrote:Does the super gameboy work with the retro duo/fc twin?
yes, eurddrue. look at the compatibility list. there is an entire category for it.
Woah, total fail, I completely missed it :oops: (it is pretty small :P)
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

edm

Post by edm » Fri May 29, 2009 2:32 am

Thanks for the help, lovablechevy. I'll try and get another few NTSC games and hopefully I'll manage to get a good key.

If I manage to get this adapter working with a particular NTSC key is there a way I can update the compatability list?

Thanks again

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Fri May 29, 2009 8:39 am

edm wrote:Thanks for the help, lovablechevy. I'll try and get another few NTSC games and hopefully I'll manage to get a good key.

If I manage to get this adapter working with a particular NTSC key is there a way I can update the compatability list?

Thanks again
just do a post here and i'll update the list accordingly.

edm

Post by edm » Sat May 30, 2009 11:09 am

After an extra good clean I've managed to get the adpater showing the 'this cartridge is not designed for your system' message with a PAL cartridge in the top and StarFox in the back, so at least I know that the adapter works on some level, as previously it was only showing a black screen.

I'm guessing that StarFox is not a good key cartridge as the slot on the back of the adapter does not have contacts for the super FX connection. Can anyone reccomend a good, reliable key cartridge. I've read that R-Type III makes a good one but I can't seem to find it for a reasonable price.

They games I'm suffering a lock out problem with are Mario All Stars, Super Metroid and Donkey Kong Country.

Thanks again for all the help.

isrlear

Post by isrlear » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:30 am

Hey all, I've been a lurker here for a while and decided to get registered :)
Just opened up my Retro Duo, hooked it up to my sony PVM through s-video to try the snes side. The pixels were very crisp and had overall excellent color, but it had hideous static banding scrolling down the screen. Hooked it up to my LCD HDTV, and it did the same thing. Anyone have the same experience? Could it be a fixable shielding or grounding issue? Or should I just esend it back for a new one?

Ace_1

Post by Ace_1 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:42 pm

I don't know what's up with that scrolling line, but no matter whether I use Composite or S-Video on my RetroDuo, it doesn't go away.

Though I will make note of this: the NES side(at least on my RetroDuo) has MASSIVE interference when I have the audio hooked up to the console. I get diagonal waves across the screen in Composite, and when I use S-Video(works perfectly fine when the Composite plug is put in the console along with the S-Video), it's even worse! It's like the NES side's working through a really badly damaged RF box; there's snow all over the screen along with thicker diagonal waves. However, when I remove the audio cables from my RetroDuo, the video clears up. What the hell?

Hifeno

Post by Hifeno » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:27 pm

is there any way at all to get the nes board to work alone. If not is the cartridge connecter any good for useing on a portable.
That's Hacking Awsome
Visit my Website http://hifeno.webs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

footinmouth

Post by footinmouth » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:34 pm

Hifeno wrote:is there any way at all to get the nes board to work alone. If not is the cartridge connecter any good for useing on a portable.
if it has screwholes
i hate how electronic part suppliers give you an option on their website to filter your searches so that you can find a certain part and no results come up!

Jatz

Post by Jatz » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:34 pm

Very nice ;)
Im considering getting one of these as i never got a snes or a nes. :(
Anyone know if any of the Doraemon snes or nes games will work on this?
Thanks

Ace_1

Post by Ace_1 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:13 am

Guys, I'd like someone to confirm this for me: a fellow forum member on Sega-16 had told me that the RetroDuo has a ground loop somewhere within the system that causes the thick strips of static to be visible on the Super NES side. Here's his post: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showpost.p ... stcount=28" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Like he said, he gave his RetroDuo away, so he can't help me fix up my RetroDuo. Would anyone here be able to find the source of this ground loop? I've been trying time and time again to get rid of those stupid strips of static on the Super NES side to no avail, since I can't find the source of that damn ground loop.