best snes backup setup

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Turbo Tax 1.0
Portablizer Extraordinaire
best snes backup setup

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:07 pm

I am looking around at these lately
and the only ones I have really heard abou tare the wildcard ones

does anyone have any recommendations, on a model or a place to buy from?

I'm looking to play starfox2 on it isn't there certain models that can and can't handle larger games?(starfox2)

EDIT: I may just try and do the whole snesdev.romhack.com thing
when life gives you lemons make flux
snesp mk4

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:25 pm

No cart will play your silly illegal StarFox 2 ROM. First of all, it requires the special FX chip thingy which isn't in the flashcarts. Second of all, see problem #1.

Turbo Tax 1.0

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:09 pm

Bibin wrote:No cart will play your silly illegal StarFox 2 ROM. First of all, it requires the special FX chip thingy which isn't in the flashcarts. Second of all, see problem #1.
ok so I could still play seiken densetsu on a wildcard

I am leaning more towards this though http://snesdev.romhack.de/sf2.htm I'm going to see if my boss can program some eproms for me them hopefully I will just need to wait for the carts to get here :)
snesp mk4

sammy

Post by sammy » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:37 am

I recommend the Game Doctor (SF7). It's a great machine with very high quality parts in it. It can back up lots of games (though not all, no not starfox either) and it also has the ability to back up save games and use cheats. The only downside is that it uses floppy's or a parallel port. I have two of these machines and they are both very good.

I can back up big games like Chrono Trigger on 4 floppy's in no time and then load them again on the system at same speed to play.

EDIT: to buy them, either Tototek or Rob Webb (from time to time)

Turbo Tax 1.0

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:22 am

thanks sammy, I did see one of these on tototek for about 60 $ I may grab it :)
one question though, how to you play the game if it is on 4 floppies? do you just load them onto some internal memory that it has, after you split them with snes tool?
snesp mk4

sammy

Post by sammy » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:50 am

If you back a game up that is bigger then whatever size a floppy is, the Gamedoctor automatically splits up the rom into several parts called A,B,C and so on. Everytime a part is completed (one floppy) it tells you to insert a new floppy.

The same goes for playing the game. You need to insert floppy A,B,C etc. until you have the complete game on the internal RAM (I advice at least 32MB). You just start up the game from the internal RAM and you're ready to go. Save files are stored on the save RAM (a few Kb).