Do not enter unless you can put up with an absolute beginner

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Kiroshi
Do not enter unless you can put up with an absolute beginner

Post by Kiroshi » Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:10 pm

I know absolutley NOTHING about "portableizing". Nothing. At all. I stumbled upon ben's site and said "boy, I wish I could do that!". Is there any way I could get instructions (from you guys or somewhere else) about how to make a handheld PSone? I would like it to run off AAs or nine volt batteries. I have NO acess to a router, so the case must be hand built. And I'm just a jobless teenager so money is scarce for me. Please help!

Kiroshi

Post by Kiroshi » Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:16 pm

Oh yeah, And I'd like a memory card slot too, and the controller wouldn't have to be built in to the system.

Again, sorry about this, but i'm a total noob. I would love to do this so badly so I can take my favorite system wherever I go.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:30 pm

Portablizing 101 - Get the system running off of batteries first. For the PSOne just about everone suggest radioshacks R/C rechargable batteries ratted at 7.2 volts.

Next is the screen, I'd suggest either the PSOne screen (runs on the same voltage as the system) or a portable tv. Much easier then a screen that requires ~12v + to run.

If you want controller port(s) desold the ports and connect them using wires. The built in controll all you neec to do is cut the cable off and sold the wires directly to the 1st player port.

There are other things you can do the the PSOne for portablizing it, but I dont know them/enough to give sound advise.

I hope this helps and for further referance go to doomportables.org
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:58 am

Kiroshi, the case is the hardest part (to me anyways). If you attempt this mod you will find out that. And I would suggest making the controller part of the case. I mean, other wise, I don't see why you wouldn't just buy one of those PSONE+LCD combos.

Kiroshi

Post by Kiroshi » Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:25 pm

Yeah, you're right. I had one. It was an Interact screen that I bought used. It is scratched up to heck and the case is falling apart.

And I don't really know how to hook the system up to batteries. I learned a little about electronics in science class (such as how to get those little light bulbs to light up). So you suggest an RC 7.2volt battery from radioshack? I think I might pick one up, seeing that there is a radioshack within walking distance of my house.

As for the case, I have no access to any type of routing device (unless I bribed the tech teachers at school). I was thinking about getting a reasonably priced Pocket TV (color) and... maybe... just wing it.

On another note, I bought a "build your own radio kit" once. The stupid thing worked, but barely. I also had to dissect a Discman CD player as a science project. If I didn't have to disconnect the lens and cut the connections then I think I could have reassembled it back into working order.

Again, thanks for the advice, and please continue to give me sugesstions.

Dom Dunc

Post by Dom Dunc » Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:30 pm

http://www.systemcrash.tk - Video game glitches

Kiroshi

Post by Kiroshi » Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:45 pm

Woah...

That would be PERFECT!!

I have a cheap digital pad, so I could use that...
I just need to find out how.

Do I need to cut holes in the system? If so, with what?

also, Will I be able to fit the controller Curcuitboard into the case?
Plus, how nay psones do you guys think I will have to go through?

But I like that design. I wouldn't want to copy it, but something similar might work...

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:52 pm

Kiroshi wrote:Do I need to cut holes in the system? If so, with what?
Yes you have to cut hole in the system, I'd say use a drill press but if you dont have one a simple power drill will do nicely.
also, Will I be able to fit the controller Curcuitboard into the case?
Hey look he did
Plus, how nay psones do you guys think I will have to go through?
If dont make any mistakes with power or crossing connections you'll have the one you working one running easy.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

Quall

Post by Quall » Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:55 pm

how many PS1's? Well, I am on my first, and hopefully it will be the only one.

Kiroshi

Post by Kiroshi » Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:05 pm

I just had an Idea. We have a lot of old plastic pencil cases lying around for cassette tape storage and the like. It looks like this. In fact, this is the exact same style/brand:

http://www.keysan.com/ksu0459a.htm#RUB999980920573

I was thinking that I could use the bottom without the "bumps" to have the screen and buttons. When I open the lid, the CD drive would be there. I am going to dissect a PSX controller now.