PS ORIGINAL!

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

christian.kang
PS ORIGINAL!

Post by christian.kang » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:16 pm

So yesterday I went over to my local used video game dealer and went to purchase a PSone but unfortunately they couldn't find the cords for it so I went home empty handed. Now I do have an original Playstation (the huge chunky one) and have already stripped it down but I have no idea how to attach a battery to it. My hopes were set on that PSone..

So here I am asking you, the experts, how to accomplish this. I need to know the required voltage of the original Playstation first off. It would also be wonderful if you had any comments or suggestions whatsoever. I've heard that making a battery pack for the original PS is hard. Thanks.

17daysolderthannes

Post by 17daysolderthannes » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:59 pm

well, first of all, so what if they couldn't find the cords, all it is is an A/V out and power plug, you could find SOMETHING that would be compatible at a gamestop I'm sure. Do you have a play n trade locally? check online www.playntrade.com , they pride themselves on supporting older systems. At any rate, see if you can talk them into slashing the price since they don't have the cords you need. A used power supply and A/V cable would probably be less than $5 used at a game store.

As for the voltage, etc. look on your power plug, all (or at least all legal) power plugs list the input and output voltages and current ratings. The input should say something like 120V @ 60Hz (standard AC NTSC wall current) and then the output should be whatever voltage and current DC that it converts to. The "output" on the plug is what you'll need to supply with your batteries. For instance, the "output" on a Yobo FC wall plug is 9V 200mA, so therefore I would need a battery (or series of batteries) that produces 9V and at least 200mA. I can't say that I have personally made batteries for a playstation before, but aside from perhaps wiring it to the plug I don't see where any difficult should arise.

Turbo Tax 1.0
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:05 pm

get a psone
much smaller
much easier to power

the playstation is similar to the N64 I think it needs a 3 volt line or something like that, as well as 7.2

It will be much easier to just get a psone in the end, see if they will give you a discount because it has no cords or something like that :)
when life gives you lemons make flux
snesp mk4

christian.kang

Post by christian.kang » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:20 pm

Sounds good. Yeah, that's what I figured too. I wasn't sure though. Thanks for the input.
We elves stick to the four main food groups. Candy, candy canes, candy corn, and syrup.

schmellyfart
Steam ID:schmellyfart

Post by schmellyfart » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:08 pm

Turbo Tax 1.0 wrote: the playstation is similar to the N64 I think it needs a 3 volt line or something like that, as well as 7.2
It only needs the ~7.2 volts :)

christian.kang

Post by christian.kang » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:50 pm

Has anyone attempted to portablize the original Playstation?

Schmellyfart, do you know how I would go about wiring a battery pack to this thing?
We elves stick to the four main food groups. Candy, candy canes, candy corn, and syrup.

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:21 pm

I don't think many people bother trying to portablize the PS1, I think it's because everything in the PS1 is ridiculously large. Your best bet is just to pick up a PSone, not only are they smaller and simplier, they are also not expensive. Over here in the UK they cost about £19.99, and since £1 = $2.09, i'm sure they'd be pretty cheap, I think I heard PSones go for about $20....

schmellyfart
Steam ID:schmellyfart

Post by schmellyfart » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:48 pm

Ohh the original PS1 :oops:

I have no idea how to wire that one up, but I think theres a diagram in the ssticky

Valium

Post by Valium » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:33 pm

Not worth it. Uses more power, its a lot bigger, and I believe its slower as well. You can easily pick up a Psone for $20 nowadays, so there shouldn't be any reason not to use one.

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:36 pm

I have an extra PSOne and an uncased screen, if you want to buy one.