Embark with me on this adventure.

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Teclis
Embark with me on this adventure.

Post by Teclis » Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:15 pm

First off, Hi: The name's Teclis and portable gaming is my...game. My concept is this: after reading through Ben's online development log of the PSp, I got to thinking...how much extra power would it take (or, rather, how much power would one be able to save) if one were to develop a PSp utilizing the power of emulation, and storing game images on an inserted Hard Drive, rather than use a CD-ROM drive...?

Portable HDs are becoming more and more commonplace on on-the-go audiophiles nowadays, and battery life is continuesly improving...so, who here thinks it can be done?

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:27 pm

I'm sure you could replace the CD-rom with a solid state memory unit(flash memory, SD, ect.). The real question is how much work would you have to put in? As I doubt you can simply connect a card reader to the ribbin. You'd probibly have to make the card reader export the data in the form or manor that the PSOne gets the cd-roms.

If anyone is willing to do a job that is (most likely) uber hard and show us its fully possible go ahead. I know my limits and that far exceds them (by miles).
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

gannon

Post by gannon » Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:41 pm

After you make the logic circuitry and add the power for either a flash card or a hard drive, the power consumption would be higher and so would the weight.

Link89

Post by Link89 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:50 pm

I'll I saw about a hard drive in a Playstation was for the PS2. I'm with you on trying to install a hard drive but I wouldn't want to remove the CD drive though. Couldn't you find certain points where you need to solder the hard drive connections? Good luck if you come up with anything let me know I would really like to do something like that. Would you have to flash the bios and everything so it works?

gannon

Post by gannon » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:22 pm

I remember that some computer science students made a ide interface for the gba, so I suppose it is possible.