Star Fox 2 - ROM to SNES

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

TheSomething
Star Fox 2 - ROM to SNES

Post by TheSomething » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:37 pm

I've got this undying itch to put Star Fox 2 (as well as the translating/debugging patch) on a real SNES cartridge, but I have no experience in this kind of hacking. I assume a mod chip would be necessary, but I'm hoping there's other ways. (Also, the cartridged hacked has to be Yoshi's Island because it has both the Super FX 2 chip and a save battery)

Anyone got any advice?

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:52 pm

there are no modchips for the SNES, as it uses cartridges, and not CDs. That means if you copy something, you copy it on a flashcart specificially made for the SNES (because it's not a default medium), or a floppy-backup device for the SNES. Which means that you will not need to mod your SNES (unless the flashcart doesn't have a lockout chip, but then you really just need to wire a little)

Google "Super Wild Card" or "Super Pro Fighter Q", those are common copying devices. I'm not sure if they support the FX chip tho.

TheSomething

Post by TheSomething » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:14 pm

Nope, as far as I know they don't. But I suppose someone could always fix that. :P

And by modchip I meant in the cartridge itself, not the system. Some kind of patch to replace the Yoshi's Island game within the cartridge with Star Fox.

Turbo Tax 1.0
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:13 pm

pm grahf he had an extra one, I was going to buy it but didnt have the cash.

he would probably be willing to help you if you wanted to build one also
when life gives you lemons make flux
snesp mk4

TheSomething

Post by TheSomething » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:41 pm

Turbo Tax 1.0 wrote:pm grahf he had an extra one, I was going to buy it but didnt have the cash.

he would probably be willing to help you if you wanted to build one also
Awesome. I'll do that. :)

TheSomething

Post by TheSomething » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:11 pm

Mods, please lock this, I already found a solution: http://snesdev.romhack.de/sf2.htm

At least, I hope it's a solution; the tutorial is apparently for PAL cartridges. :?

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:48 am

I think I'll just keep this thread open, it could become a good database for info on this topic, and you can use it to ask some questions later on as well. :wink:

Though I've seen this tutorial before, everyone who's asked this question just passed that option up and went for a flash cart. Tototek is a great resource for them, not to mention it's much easier to shove a ROM on that than modding a whole cartridge. And that way, you can put multiple games on the same cart as well, making things really convenient. It's your call, though. Good luck!

CTFan

jeroen

Post by jeroen » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:20 pm

Does that support sfx though :? .

TheSomething

Post by TheSomething » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:40 pm

CronoTriggerfan wrote:you can use it to ask some questions later on as well. :wink:
Actually, as long as we're still on the subject of hacking over media ports *cough*...

Anyone have a side-by-side comparison pic of the differences between PAL and [American] NTSC cartridge motherboards? Might come in handy when I get to soldering the eprom. ;)

jeroen

Post by jeroen » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:35 am

I don't think there would be any. they'd just have different program code so the boards should be the same.

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:37 am

and a different lockout chip. Otherwise they are compatible (otherwise lockout chip disabling wouldn't work, eh?)

jeroen

Post by jeroen » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:09 pm

Ya but the ntsc pal lockout has the same pinout. So it should be the same pcb. (slight change of different revisions but not a lot should change. (especially the rom pinout, unless they had to switch for some reason)

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:42 pm

Yeah, I know. I was just pointing out differences

TheSomething

Post by TheSomething » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:08 pm

Aaagh.

I need a "dumbed-down" version of the soldering instructions so a moron like me can read it. >.<

Felino

Post by Felino » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:38 pm

I thought starfox used a special chip of somesort?
Charlie wrote:I always wanted to try wall flips, but I'm too attached to my neck.