I'm building a PSOneP

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Rich
I'm building a PSOneP

Post by Rich » Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:31 pm

Well, I'm just a kid, I bought Ben's book. My parents let me get all the stuff I needed, but it cost a little bit more than I expected. Anyway, I just want to receive some tips or suggestions because this is a pretty much one-or-nothing opportunity, I really don't want to screw up. Even though I'm folowing the instructions from a book, I'm just afraid of doing something like frying it because I hear so many people frying their systems and having to buy new ones. Any suggestions or tips I should know before I get started? I'm building Ben's hand made PSOneP, but if its too big to fit in my pocket or something, I'm thinking of redesigning the case.

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:04 pm

no matter what you do, it'll be bigger than what you can fit in your pocket. Really, you can't even fit a cd in there.
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

JackFrost22
Sir Posts-alot

Post by JackFrost22 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:07 pm

Wear a static bracelet. A $1 lofesaver{at least systems lives}

Dave

Post by Dave » Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:09 pm

Also, if it calls for soldering (which I wou;d think it would) practice on something else and build up your skills beforehand.

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:29 pm

I guess size doesn't matter THAT much, so I'll ignore making my own case. Static bracelet? What does it do, and where can I get one (can i get one at radioshack?). I'll try practicing soldering.

In the book, it said I needed tact switches, which were the only electronic stuff I couldn't get from radio shack and I had to get on Digi-Key. Now the problem is, my parents won't let me order online. Is it possible to get this in a store?

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:25 am

static bracelet is a bracelet you wear to get rid of the static electricity in you body. You can get em at Radioshack, or you can just periodically touch a piece of metal around the house, a doorknob for example. Save you money for the handheld, dont bother with the bracelet.

They let you get the stuff, as you said in the beginning, but dont do online orders? Ehh, thats strange. I thought RS would have em. I got nothin'.

JackFrost22
Sir Posts-alot

Post by JackFrost22 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:07 am

soundwave wrote:static bracelet is a bracelet you wear to get rid of the static electricity in you body. You can get em at Radioshack, or you can just periodically touch a piece of metal around the house, a doorknob for example. Save you money for the handheld, dont bother with the bracelet.

They let you get the stuff, as you said in the beginning, but dont do online orders? Ehh, thats strange. I thought RS would have em. I got nothin'.
touching a doorknow doesn't always get it also when your working you can generate it.

gannon

Post by gannon » Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:42 am

My workshop only has a cement floor so I don't really have to worry much about static generation :)
My networking class at school has a carpet floor and I get shocked in it all the time :(

HK-47

Post by HK-47 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:45 am

gannon wrote:My workshop only has a cement floor so I don't really have to worry much about static generation :)
My networking class at school has a carpet floor and I get shocked in it all the time :(
But your cloths rubbing against eachother can cause static too so your never safe.

JackFrost22
Sir Posts-alot

Post by JackFrost22 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:47 am

Thats whya $1 static brocelet is worth it. :roll:

gannon

Post by gannon » Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:51 am

HK-47 wrote:
gannon wrote:My workshop only has a cement floor so I don't really have to worry much about static generation :)
But your cloths rubbing against eachother can cause static too so your never safe.
Then I'll just have to work on my electronics naked :lol:
Ouch! Solder burns hurt a lot....maybe I should have worn underwear... :cry:

HK-47

Post by HK-47 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:57 am

gannon wrote:
HK-47 wrote:
Then I'll just have to work on my electronics naked :lol:
Ouch! Solder burns hurt a lot....maybe I should have worn underwear... :cry:
I actually wrote "unless you decide to do stuff naked", but I deleted it before I posted... Kinda wierd you wrote almost the exact same thing... :)

Rich

Post by Rich » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:37 pm

wait, static bracelets prevent consoles from frying? Yeah, I can't order stuff online, so theres no where I can get a tact switch? Anyone know the average prices for making the decals from vinyl shops or whatever? Sorry for the mass questions, I want to be extremely cautious so I don't screw up.

riva16

Post by riva16 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:54 pm

Tape a wire to your arm and connect it to the ground of a battery! Will always work...

HK-47

Post by HK-47 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:00 pm

riva16 wrote:Tape a wire to your arm and connect it to the ground of a battery! Will always work...
Lol, thats one way of doing it...

Anyway, rich, just go to a radio shack, theyll have everything.