Starting a SNESp

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
Ari
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:03 pm

Starting a SNESp

Post by Ari » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:14 pm

I started working on a SNESp a few days ago, and I thought I might as well make a thread on it.

I bought a mini-snes from the flea market last week and ordered a psone screen from ebay to get started. As soon as the screen came in, I wired it up to the SNES with RGB and turned everything on. But alas, the screen stayed blank! I checked all my connections and made sure everything was wired up right. But still, it wouldn't work. Discouraged, I gave up and played half-life for a while, and finally beat it. But the next day, while looking around on the forums, I found a thread that might help fix my problem! I tried desoldering the component that TheGamer3000 did, and it worked perfectly!

Here's a picture of it running F-zero. The SNES is running off of 4 AAs (the same battery pack I use to charge my PSP) and the screen is still using the wall adapter.
I still have the song from the first track of F-zero stuck in my head...
Image

Then I ordered some li-ion batteries from here, since they were so cheap. It's $10 for 2 3.7v 2200mah AA-sized cells, and I ordered 3 pairs. So that'll be 6600mah at 7.4 volts once I wire them up. That should give around 6 hours with a mini-snes and a non-led-modded psone screen. And if I decide to LED mod it, that should bump it up to around 8 hours. And the batteries even have a protection circuit built right in so that they don't asplode!

I plan on making a wooden case (cherry), but I have no idea what the design will be like.

That's all I have done for now. I'll post updates when I make any major progress. Which probably won't be for a while since I'm camping all next week and the batteries are going to take 2-3 weeks to ship from hong kong. This project will probably take me a while, judging by the fact that it took me two years to beat half-life.

User avatar
Triton
Moderator
Posts: 7396
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 12:33 pm
360 GamerTag: triton199
Steam ID: triton199
Location: Iowa
Contact:

Post by Triton » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:11 pm

be careful when running lithium batteries in parallel! get a protection circuit for them as well because they wont just get hot or not work right they can literally explode. lipolys are the same if not worse, so be careful or something like this can happen (gamelvers gcp after his lipolys blew up)
Image

User avatar
Life of Brian
Moderator
Posts: 2867
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:55 pm
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Post by Life of Brian » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:14 pm

Cool man! Getting the thing running is half the battle! Keep us posted :D
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!
Image

User avatar
twilightprincess
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:28 am
Location: Western Australia Gender: Male

Post by twilightprincess » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:05 pm

Triton wrote:be careful when running lithium batteries in parallel! get a protection circuit for them as well because they wont just get hot or not work right they can literally explode. lipolys are the same if not worse, so be careful or something like this can happen (gamelvers gcp after his lipolys blew up)
Image
OMG, triton is that your gc portable. If it was that sucks, it was going so well :cry:

User avatar
CronoTriggerfan
Moderator
Posts: 4131
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:07 pm
Location: University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
Contact:

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:16 pm

twilightprincess wrote:OMG, triton is that your gc portable. If it was that sucks, it was going so well :cry:
Triton wrote:lipolys are the same if not worse, so be careful or something like this can happen (gamelvers gcp after his lipolys blew up)
Really observant. :lol:

CTFan
Image

User avatar
vskid
Senior Member
Posts: 6314
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:25 am
Steam ID: vskid3
Contact:

Post by vskid » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:17 pm

twilightprincess wrote:
Triton wrote:(gamelvers gcp after his lipolys blew up)
Image
OMG, triton is that your gc portable. If it was that sucks, it was going so well :cry:
:roll: Can you read?

And the protection circuit is not a thing that you have and say "I'm safe, I can do anything". Its like having seatbelts in your car, just because you have them doesn't mean you can drive like a maniac, it just means that if you do get in a wreck, you're more likely to live, but you could still be messed up. The protection just keeps them from exploding, you can can still screw them up beyond repair if you aren't careful.
Image

User avatar
gamemasterAS
Senior Member
Posts: 3309
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:30 pm
Steam ID: lolz1337face
Location: Ohio
Contact:

Post by gamemasterAS » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:58 pm

CronoTriggerfan wrote:
twilightprincess wrote:OMG, triton is that your gc portable. If it was that sucks, it was going so well :cry:
Triton wrote:lipolys are the same if not worse, so be careful or something like this can happen (gamelvers gcp after his lipolys blew up)
Really observant. :lol:

CTFan
O darn you beat me to it.

Edit: vskid beat me to it to :lol:
.

User avatar
twilightprincess
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:28 am
Location: Western Australia Gender: Male

Post by twilightprincess » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:08 am

Bwahahah oh man I'm thick. sorry dudes :lol:

Ari
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:03 pm

Post by Ari » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:02 am

That picture sure is a confidence booster! :lol:

So the protection circuit already in the batteries doesn't work if I'm running them in parallel? Where would I get a protection circuit?

Ari
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:03 pm

Post by Ari » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:08 pm

It finally runs on batteries!

I actually did this like 2 weeks ago, but now I've gotten around to posting some pictures of it.

Image

Image

Image

It may not have a case, built in controller, or any aesthetic appeal, but it is portable! I took it to school a few times and people actually thought that it was the coolest thing ever (except for all the people who just think I'm a nerd.). But it was pretty sweet to play Chrono Trigger and Zelda at school. I do plan to eventually build a nice case and such for this.

I also spent about 15 minutes to make a PS1 portable. I've actually been using it as a CD player for the last week or so.

Image

The screen was screwed onto the back of the psone before, but then I took apart the screen and was too lazy to put it back together right.
Optomists say that the glass is half full.
Pessimist say that it's half empty.
Engineers say that it's twice as big as it needs to be.

User avatar
Life of Brian
Moderator
Posts: 2867
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:55 pm
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Post by Life of Brian » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:32 pm

Ari wrote:The screen was screwed onto the back of the psone before, but then I took apart the screen and was too lazy to put it back together right.
I hear you. I have a couple of PSOne's that have been laying on my desk with their guts exposed for oh, about 5 months now.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!
Image

THON
Posts: 214
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 3:50 pm

Post by THON » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:41 pm

Life of Brian wrote:
Ari wrote:The screen was screwed onto the back of the psone before, but then I took apart the screen and was too lazy to put it back together right.
I hear you. I have a couple of PSOne's that have been laying on my desk with their guts exposed for oh, about 5 months now.
My Sega 3 is gathering dust and has been shuffled around my carpet a few times. Too lazy to test. WAY too lazy.

Post Reply