Portable Genesis worklog

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

PeglegJimmy
Portable Genesis worklog

Post by PeglegJimmy » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:13 pm

Well so far I just started this, as something random and cheap to make while earning cash for my Dreamcast laptop. Well the only part i have done is a case for it, I need to dremel out a C button hole.

If anyone has a 2.5" intec screen they would sell for $20 with shiping that would help me out allot, and I'm gonna grab a Radica this weekend, should be all done by the second week of July.

The case needs a good paint job, I'm thinking of going with flat black.

Oh well that's about all I can ramble about so far.
:P

khaag

Post by khaag » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:05 pm

Umm... all you have done is the case? You havn't done anything to that case... :lol:

lol, Just bugging you :P Good luck!
[url=http://thekevbot.com]Portfolio[/url]
[url=http://twitter.com/thekevbot]Twitter[/url]
[url=http://blog.thekevbot.com]Blog[/url]

PeglegJimmy

Post by PeglegJimmy » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:48 am

Lol I'm getting paint and the radica this weekend :D But hey I need to start somewhere and getting the gameboy out of the case was a start.

khaag

Post by khaag » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:04 pm

lol I suppose :lol:
[url=http://thekevbot.com]Portfolio[/url]
[url=http://twitter.com/thekevbot]Twitter[/url]
[url=http://blog.thekevbot.com]Blog[/url]

PeglegJimmy

Post by PeglegJimmy » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:44 pm

I would have worked on the case some but my dremel is really my grandmas she just lets me use it :P to cheap to get my own. I really need to get 1 tho. Oh well grandmas house is a mile away.

dman762000

Post by dman762000 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:12 am

I believe there is a good tut on making your own rotary tool online somewhere, may be on instrutables, I saw it yesterday and don't quite remember,,,,,,,man,, i can't type anymore time for bed.

PeglegJimmy

Post by PeglegJimmy » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:15 am

Well I'm gonna buy a 3 speed one from my grandma for $30 the real dremel brand to :)

M grandma owns a hardware which means i get things at half the store price :D

Being related to a person that owns a store rocks! cheap timber/screws/tools/nails :)

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:22 am

Will this thing have a cartridge slot, or are you just gonna use the built-in games? :) Anyways, this project looks pretty neat, good luck!

CTFan

PeglegJimmy

Post by PeglegJimmy » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:45 am

I'm probably going to add the cartridge slot, so I can play road rash, and my Sega SmashPak so I can play Shinobi and super hang-on on the go :D

Wish me luck on not breaking 5 putting on the slot :D The cartridge slot itself is the exact width of the Gameboy case and the carts stick out a tiny bit tho :( Oh well it doesn't look that bad on size of carts. Should a radica, and hipgear screen run off of 4 aa's? Or is that not enough power? I couldn't remember if a radica had 4 battery's or 2.

Lets hope my funds stay up :D, My dad wants me to buy a new Dreamcast with my money because *HE* broke it! He wants a sealed in box one to...I even fixed my old one that I got at launch too like 2 months ago and this one works fine but he still wants a different 1 :(

Oh well radica and hipgear = $40 max so I should be able to get that much back, unless my dad tried to forbid me from making portables again :(

Lol sorry I went on so long.. Well I better get to sleep it's 2:37AM were I live.. I have insomnia and am up till like 6 in the morning and only get 1 hour of sleep :cry:

Well anyway thanks, and also good luck on yours, it seems to be coming along well, I also realized the name of my post seems like a ripoff of yours! I couldn't think of anything else but work log :P

I'm such a smiley whore... :D :) :( :o :shock: :? 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow:

THON

Post by THON » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:27 am

Good luck adding the cartridge slot.

Although I don't understand why it's supposedly so hard? If you can rewire a cartridge slot why couldn't you add one in? Is there some kind of obstacle I'm missing? :?

Edit: Radica runs off of 4 AA's.

PeglegJimmy

Post by PeglegJimmy » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:32 am

It's not really that hard, its just annoying to me.... I always mess up, and solder the wrong wires :(

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:02 pm

THON wrote:Good luck adding the cartridge slot.

Although I don't understand why it's supposedly so hard? If you can rewire a cartridge slot why couldn't you add one in? Is there some kind of obstacle I'm missing? :?

Edit: Radica runs off of 4 AA's.
Have you ever seen the Radica chip? There's some damn small surface mount traces that are easy to jump, and the chip itself fries easily. Cart slot relocation is a walk in the park compared to adding a slot to a Radica! :P

CTFan

PeglegJimmy

Post by PeglegJimmy » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:16 pm

True dat! Lol hopefully the dreamcast I'm getting will still leave me with enough cash to get the screen or it will still plug into the tv for the next month or two :P

Still wish I could have afforded a Saturn from epicenter :( Oh well..

Oh and BTW I heard you pulled and all-nighter and lost an eBay auction, That makes two of us! :D

I'll keep an eye out for a cheap screen for you :)

PeglegJimmy

Post by PeglegJimmy » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:04 am

I have risen this post from the grave! And I might be able to win a screen on eBay in the morning. I finally have some cash, so I'm gonna try and get this done. I need a Radica too... My mom said K-mart had them for $10, if that's true I'll be getting that. My Genesis cart slot got beet up a bit, but I think I can fix it. If not, Sonic games are good enough for me :D I only have like 4 Genesis carts anyway.

Turbo Tax 1.0
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:11 am

I have an intec screen, it is modded a bit and needs to be led modded.
when life gives you lemons make flux
snesp mk4