Batteries help please

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

twilightprincess
Batteries help please

Post by twilightprincess » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:34 pm

Hey guys.

Iv'e read Daguy's battery information in his guide, But I was wondering what is the recommended battery to use. I need one that can charge from the wall, and dont say anything about radioshack, I live in Australia.
Last edited by twilightprincess on Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

usbcd36

Post by usbcd36 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:47 pm

One possibility is to get Ni-MH AA-sized rechargeables and battery holders. Wall chargers for these are easy to find, and you can usually get both batteries and charger in a single package. The disadvantage is that an N64 takes 7.5v, so you'll need at least 6 or 7 batteries. Since cheap chargers only do 4 at a time, this requires you to have two chargers, or a more expensive, more capacious charger.

If that sounds complex…well, this is more complex…

You could also go the route that Ben went in some of his portables and use lithium-ion batteries from cameras. You use the camera to charge the battery, then you slip it into the portable for playing. The internal protection circuit keeps it from exploding, so there's little risk of bodily harm. It's cheaper if you have the device already, but if you don't, it's expensive to get a camera/camcorder, or even just a battery and standalone charger.

twilightprincess

Post by twilightprincess » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:07 am

Thanks but I'm still not sure, all of the prices are really expensive. I was wondering if there is anything I could use from this page here. (remember these are Australian prices)

twilightprincess

Post by twilightprincess » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:10 am

Hello?

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:37 am

most of those batteries are SLA, nicd or AA nimh batteries.

the general feeling around here is that you shouldn't use AA batteries for a n64 portable, a bunch of people have had issues with not enough power being available. battery life would suck anyways.

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

Felino

Post by Felino » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:43 am

They will give noo were near the current draw, try 'c' or 'sub c' batteries, as a fellow ausie, i feel the same way, i got 10 sub-c NiMhs from a bargan bin at jaycar for $2 each, bargan.
Charlie wrote:I always wanted to try wall flips, but I'm too attached to my neck.

twilightprincess

Post by twilightprincess » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:59 am

Felino wrote:They will give noo were near the current draw, try 'c' or 'sub c' batteries, as a fellow ausie, i feel the same way, i got 10 sub-c NiMhs from a bargan bin at jaycar for $2 each, bargan.
Thanks mate :wink:

EDIT: Is this good? it's a D Image

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:12 am

it has about half the capacity of a similar ni-mh battery but it will work fine. (keep in mind you need 6, and they are huge as well as very heavy. heavier than alkalines.)

twilightprincess

Post by twilightprincess » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:50 pm

How much battery power do I need to power the console and the screen (with play time)?

daguuy
Portablizer

Post by daguuy » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:32 pm

Get a dvd player battery that's 7.2v-8.4v. Those have built in chargers and protection circuits so all you have to do is give it the voltage it says on the case and it charges safely. NiMH or LiPo are good, but don't get nicad because they die after much less charge cycles than the others and have lower power density. DVD player batteries also tend to have pretty high capacity and if you don't like the capacity of the built in batteries, you can replace them with batteries of the same type but higher capacity and it'll still work with the charger. That's what I did and my portable is probably one of the easiest to charge from either a wall adapter or a car plug.
ImageImage

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:13 pm

protection circuits arent designed to let you carelessly charge your battery. you can still blow it up pretty easy, the protection limits are usually outside of the standard "safe" zones.

you should be using some kind of semi-intelligent charger. and definitely not an unregulated power source.